VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for cooking my Tofurky. This will be my first one and I am eagerly anticipating some faux-turkey goodness!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yeah. Don't.

No, seriously, you might like it. Just follow the directions on the package and you'll be golden.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have never had one before so I can't give you any advice, sorry. I have been told they are good though. Let us know what you think of it after you try it. Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yep, just follow the directions! Tofurky is so yummy! I generally cook a Tofurky and a nut loaf with gravy for Thanksgiving.

Look what you've done...now, you've made me hungry.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I was wondering about this too. Do you think non-veg*ns would like it?

I think Thanksgiving is going to be a time of famine for me and my hubby at our families' houses.

But maybe I can bring my own stuff.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I thought it tasted like the turkey that came in tv dinners (when I was omni) tasted like.
That sounds about right. If you were a fan of the moist white turkey meat then I suggest you seriously lower your expectations. If you prefer institutional grade meats or insoles, then Tofurkey is probably a good fit for you.

Cheers!

TJ

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I've noticed that Tofurkys have 2 different sets of instructions, using totally different ingredients. Sometimes you get one set, sometimes the other.

Anyone else noticed this? I really prefer one over the other.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
I think the Quorn Roast is much better than the tofurkey, but it has eggwhites, so its unsuitable for vegans. But for vegetarians, its actually quite good, and my omni friends liked it (once they got over its shape....)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I think it's all about the mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy. The fake turkey is just a side dish to me.

Here's a great, EASY gravy recipe:

Into a saucepan put:

1 package Hain Brown Gravy mix

1 cup water

1 can cream of mushroom soup

Mix and bring to a boil.

Then add enough water to thin it down to your liking.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think tofurky tastes like old shoe.

I think a stuffed squash or two is the way to go for a "main" dish. you can do one sweet and one savory.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
My dad offered to fashion a block of tofu into a dead bird and press a few strands of cooked spaghetti (to resemble veins) onto it so I could have my own vegetarian turkey and not miss out on the whole thanksgiving experience again this year.

I said that I would pass, but he was very sweet to offer.

He looked crushed that someone had already though this up (minus the spaghetti vein part) in the form of a tofurkey.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jon View Post

Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for cooking my Tofurky. This will be my first one and I am eagerly anticipating some faux-turkey goodness!!
My tip is to leave it in the grocery store's freezer. Blech.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts