VeggieBoards banner

Tofurky Bologna

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TheHRchannel 
#1 ·
It's been out for a couple months now. I have had it twice. It's good. It tastes like bologna. I think it could fool a meat eater. I was afraid it would be too similar to their other deli meats, but it is quite different. The only other bologna available to me is from LightLife. I like that brand, too. However, I think Tofurky's version tastes a bit better and not as rubbery. Both name brands come in 5.5 oz packages, which is enough to make two sandwiches (or one awesome sandwich!).

I love Turtle Island Foods (the company who makes Tofurky). This is a great addition to their lineup.

#7 ·
I've had it...it's very good!
I used to love "olive loaf", which is basically bologna and green olives and pimento, so I make a sandwich with the tofurkey bologna and add chopped pimento stuffed green olives, some onion, lettuce and tomato with vegenaise on nice ciabatta bread, and I'm good to go!!

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Are they as good, or better than, or worse than Yves bologna?
I don't think I have had Yves bologna. I have had a couple of their other products but was not impressed with any of them. My guess would be Tofurky's bologna would probably win in a taste test, but I can't say that definitively because I can't taste test them at the same time (Yves bologna is not available around here). Tofurky's bologna is pretty darned good. They have had lots of time to formulate this product and I think they got it right. If anyone gets a chance to compare, please share. I would like to know.

On a side note, does anyone remember Phony Boloney (or some variation of spelling of the name), a name brand of faux bologna? I don't think I ever got around to trying it. I remember seeing it when I first went veg, but it disappeared shortly after.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I used to love "olive loaf", which is basically bologna and green olives and pimento, so I make a sandwich with the tofurkey bologna and add chopped pimento stuffed green olives, some onion, lettuce and tomato with vegenaise on nice ciabatta bread, and I'm good to go!!
Oooh, if one of the veg companies were smart, they should market an vegan olive loaf meat. That would be awesome. I'd be all over that.

#10 ·
I haven't seen the bologna one yet, but I've been looking. When I first became a vegetarian, LiteLife was the only thing around, so I practically lived on that brand when it came to sandwiches for lunch and hotdogs when grilling for years, so it'll be nice to try out a new 'bologna'.
I tried the 'roast beef' one that came out the same time as the bologna, but I didn't like it.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Oh wow I totally forgot about olive loaf. Loved that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Oooh, if one of the veg companies were smart, they should market an vegan olive loaf meat. That would be awesome. I'd be all over that.
Hell yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I haven't seen the bologna one yet, but I've been looking. When I first became a vegetarian, LiteLife was the only thing around, so I practically lived on that brand when it came to sandwiches for lunch and hotdogs when grilling for years, so it'll be nice to try out a new 'bologna'.
I tried the 'roast beef' one that came out the same time as the bologna, but I didn't like it.
Lightlife had a lot of different things back then that I really miss now. One of my favorites was their pepperoni that came in big sticks. I always snacked on their sliced pepperoni, cheese and crackers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.