VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have been a veg for 4 months now. I have never ever tried tofu. I just wanted to know exactly what it is and what it taste like. Thats all. I'm kinda interested in trying it. But, I'm a picky eater. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
Even though it's often considered a meat substitute, it's kind of like potatoes. It does not have a taste of its own but adds blocks with kind of a soft texture to any dish. That's firm tofu.

Silken tofu, which you buy boxed, is kind of like a "block cream" almost. It does not taste like cream but has a similar texture.

Tofu to me does not taste very much like anything else. It's a food item all its own.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I disagree that it tastes like nothing, but it is definitely a mild flavor and has a tendency to pick up the flavor of anything around it. It can have a variety of textures, some of them less pleasant than others.

If you're going to try it for the first time, I'd suggest eating it at a restaurant first... I've known a good chunk of people who made something with tofu as a meat substitute and then swore tofu was the worst thing ever. As a replacement in something that traditionally uses meat, I would agree. Try it how it's supposed to be eaten first and work from there -- maybe at a Thai or Korean or Chinese restaurant -- yum!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think it tastes slightly nutty, but in tofu dishes it is really the sauces and such that "make the meal." I agree you should go to an Asian restaurant and order it and see how you like it.

if you want to cook it at home, the easiest thing to do (in my experience) is: buy a block of extra-firm tofu, drain it and pat it dry (make sure you do this well-- get a lot of water out!) and cut it into 8-ish slices. pour your favorite store-bought marinade (something soy-sauce-y works well) into a ziploc bag, then place the slices in the bag and marinate for 30 minutes-1.5 hours in the fridge. Take them out of the bag once they're done marinating and grill them until they are browned on both sides. then eat them (i serve this with brown rice and a vegetable)! easy and good.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yes, trying it at a restaurant would be a good idea. Chinese and other Asian foods have tofu, I would suggest one of them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most people who don't like tofu have tried it in a boring dish. It really needs to be cooked with a lot of other flavours, otherwise it's very blah... Well, some love tofu as is (like in miso soup for instance) so you might become one of them!

(btw, I love tofu!)

·
Registered
168 Posts
You may need to try a couple of dining establishments to make your decision regarding tofu. I know one chinese restaraunt where it was awful; another where it was fantastic. Don't get discouraged if the first place you go doesn't know how to use it. If they don't have much of a call for it, they may not do it well. Try to find a place with a large vegetarian selection.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I tried tofu the first time I almost puked. I hated the texture and it tasted like nothing at all. It scared me and I didn't try it for a long time after that. Then I went out to a resturant and the only veggie dish they had was stir fried veggies with tofu. I didn't want to be rude and ask them to skip the tofu so I ordered it. It was wonderful! Really flavourful and chewy. I asked the chef how he made it and he explained the different types of tofo (silken/firm) and now I really like it. I know they should be used in different dishes. I still don't like silken tofu that much. The texture is too weird for me.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I like getting some extra firm tofu, stir frying it with teriaki (sp?) sauce and veggies, and eating it over rice. It tastes like the sauce, so it'll just be a matter of whether or not you like the texture. I find the texture to be sort of like rice, but in bigger pieces, and that's fine by me. I've never tried silken tofu.

As for getting tofu at a restaurant, the best place to try the texture of it is in miso soup at a Japanese place. It always has little cubes of tofu, and it tastes like the miso.

Another possibility is to get a TV dinner with tofu in it. Amy's has several of them. Again, it'll taste like the sauce it's cooked in. With tofu, it's all about whether or not you like the texture, because the taste varies with the sauce.

--Fromper

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hi there, if you are in the mood to buy a cookbook, I highly recommend buying Tofu 1 2 3. This is the ultimate easy guide to making everything including scrumptiious smoothies and chocolate desserts! You can order it from the website (along with an accompanying DVD which is probably more helpful) from www.deliciousadventures.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had been a vegetarian for 5 years before I even liked tofu! I hated the stuff! But it was because I didn't prepare it properly. A good suggestion that was mentioned is trying it at a restaurant- they usually know how to cook it and if you don't like it you haven't wasted time making a dish out of it. It doesn't taste like anything until you marinate it in something. If you want to make it yourself, first drain it by wrapping it up well in paper towels and put a heavy pan on top of it so it will drain well and allow it to drain for at least 30 minutes. Then marinate it in whatever spices and sauces you like for another 30 minutes or so. Fry it up in a little vegetable oil or olive oil on both sides until brown and serve it over rice or pasta or whatever. I LOVE tofu now, but without draining it properly it really is slimy and gross.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlyconsumer View Post

Hi there, if you are in the mood to buy a cookbook, I highly recommend buying Tofu 1 2 3. This is the ultimate easy guide to making everything including scrumptiious smoothies and chocolate desserts! You can order it from the website (along with an accompanying DVD which is probably more helpful) from www.deliciousadventures.com
sweeet... i love cookbooks. thanks. and thank you to everyone for taking time to write back!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Raw tofu is pretty much flavorless, exept a very subtle legume-like taste that is similar to peas, almonds, or peanuts. Eating raw, unseasoned tofu is like eating flour.

Cooked and seasoned tofu tastes like whatever seasoning is on it. It tends to "absorb" flavor. Its texture is like cheese or poultry. It is creamy if it is silken tofu.

If you like a more beef/pork-like texture, I recommend wheat gluten (also goes by the fancy name of seitan) Like tofu, it absorbs flavors too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts