VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have trouble eating Tofu? I've tried firm and extra firm, but it just seems "slimey" after cooked. Maybe it's just a texture thing for me. Does anyone else have trouble eating it? Am I doing something wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Tofu is a little "slimey" unless you stir-fry it, usually you'll get golden harder edges.
Also did you drained your tofu before you cooked it?
Another tip that might help: after draining well your tofu, you can wrap it up and put it in the freezer for 15 min.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Nagev is right: stir frying will make it go crispy and get rid of the soft squishy texture. As will baking - cut it up into chunks, roll the chunks in a little bit of oil mixed with soy sauce and spices, and bake in oven until golden and crispy.

Baking is easier than stir frying it - I personally find that if I stir fry it it tends to break up into smaller pieces (but that could be because I'm rubbish at stir-frying!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, I'll give it another try! I may not have gotten enough liquid out, and I'm sure I didn't cook it long enough.
angie, your website is AWESOME! Can't wait to try all of them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasoakes3 View Post

Thank you guys, I'll give it another try! I may not have gotten enough liquid out, and I'm sure I didn't cook it long enough.
angie, your website is AWESOME! Can't wait to try all of them!
Glad you like the website - I haven't added any new recipes for a while, will have to get down to it. My website used to be called Vegan Foody, which is why all the photos have that name on (in case you thought I was stealing someone else's content!)

Re - tofu - it may take a few times to get it right, and the way you like it, but bear with it. Once you know how to use it, it is an awesome and very versatile ingredient. I regularly make a delicious spinach and tofu quiche, and have even used it to make ice cream - blending it is another way of using it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
I have trouble with tofu in general.....I will be veg for 22 years in Dec and just cant cook, make, or eat it...I just cant find many ways that I like it....My sweetie makes me tofu jerky and I like that but thats really it....people have tried to help me but nothing works....lol....not giving up though....

peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Tofu, for me, has always been nasty, but I'm trying to like it. I just started adding to to my smoothies so i could get used to the taste. Also, I find putting it in soup makes it a little more bearable.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

I have trouble with tofu in general.....I will be veg for 22 years in Dec and just cant cook, make, or eat it...I just cant find many ways that I like it....My sweetie makes me tofu jerky and I like that but thats really it....people have tried to help me but nothing works....lol....not giving up though....

peace
Can you post his jerky recipe?
I've been playing aroung with different proportions of liquid smoke, maple syrup and water, and would something new to try!
I love tofu this way with tomatos, lettuce and veganaise - better BLT.

Cut pressed tofu into cubes, put enough corn starch in a plastic to shake the cubes in, with whatever seasonings (usually just black pepper) and add the coated cubes to a cast iron coated with oil. Once they're golden brown on bottom, I deglaze with Braggs aminos, or juice diluted in water and turn. When done I add a sauce, and veggies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
I love tofu, but I can't prepare it myself and have it turn out edible. I either purchase the pre-baked and marinated kind or just go to the Chinese place down the street. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Glad it's not just me who has trouble with cooking tofu! The best way for me so far has been to marinade it in BBQ sauce and bake in the oven, the texture was actually quite pleasant. When I stir-fried it the first time I don't think I got enough water out, so it just broke up into mush. Not so good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
The secret with tofu is draining the water out - think of it like this: if it is full of water, it is not able to absorb any other flavour, so you end up with a tasteless jelly like texture that is truly awful.

Try this recipe for tofu balls in a tomato sauce, and then tell me you don't like tofu!

http://veganvie.com/?p=584
 

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
Joined
·
836 Posts
Yeah, sometimes the tofu takes quite a bit of pressing and cooking for longer when necessary will definitely help.

Recently made this to mimic our favorite sandwich at a restaurant we like that included balsamic tofu: http://theveganfoodie.wordpress.com/...c-glazed-tofu/ Very tasty! I'm almost ashamed to say we ate the whole tofu block in sandwiches packed with spinach, banana peppers, red onion, avocado and vegenaise in one sitting. We were uncomfortably stuffed but couldn't stop eating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Yeah, sometimes the tofu takes quite a bit of pressing and cooking for longer when necessary will definitely help.

Recently made this to mimic our favorite sandwich at a restaurant we like that included balsamic tofu: http://theveganfoodie.wordpress.com/...c-glazed-tofu/ Very tasty! I'm almost ashamed to say we ate the whole tofu block in sandwiches packed with spinach, banana peppers, red onion, avocado and vegenaise in one sitting. We were uncomfortably stuffed but couldn't stop eating.
That looks amazing. It's been saved in my 'recipes to try' folder in Evernote! Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Have you tried freezing it before cooking it? Freezing changes the texture a bit, you will still need to press the tofu before cooking it, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
I either press tofu very, very well before cooking, or freeze it and then thaw it before proceeding (which gives it a more spongy, chewy texture.) The only time I will cook it without doing either of these things is if I'm using it in tofu scramble -- I find it kind of dries out on its own in that case.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top