VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Great question. I would also like to know this. This is one of the few things that I haven't made with tofu, but always wanted to.

Laura

·
3,936 Posts
Oops, I mean "black salt"...it is a kind of salt that smells and tastes like eggs. It is pink.

can't link to Wiki, as it's down but here's a link:http://www.saltworks.us/kala-namak-black-salt.html

I think the tofu I use is called firm, but I'm not sure...it isn't the more jelly stuff, although you can use that.

You can add cherry tomatoes, sweet corn and wotnot, but that's up to the person making it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1 packege extra firm tofu frozen and then thawed.
Squeeze out the water and while your doing this crumble the tofu so it feels kinda like scrambled egges.
Chop 1 bell pepper, 1 onion, and as much garlic as you want. I love garlic so that's about 4 medium to large cloves for me.
saute the veggies in a little water.
When they're about done add the tofu plus chili powder, cumin, salt, cyanne or hot sauce, a couple tbsp nooch, and a dash of turmeric*sp*. I don't know the amount of my spices because I just throw them in I don't really measure anything. Tastes awsome with some salsa wrapped up in a tortilla or with some veggie chorizo... can you tell I'm a fan of latin food lol.

hth
Audrey

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

Squeeze out the water and while your doing this crumble the tofu so it feels kinda like scrambled egges.
Chop 1 bell pepper, 1 onion, and as much garlic as you want. I love garlic so that's about 4 medium to large cloves for me.
When they're about done add the tofu plus chili powder, cumin, salt, cyanne or hot sauce, a couple tbsp nooch, and a dash of turmeric*sp*. I don't know the amount of my spices because I just throw them in I don't really measure anything. Tastes awsome with some salsa wrapped up in a tortilla or with some veggie chorizo... can you tell I'm a fan of latin food lol.

hth
Audrey
See that's what i wasn't sure of. I wasn't sure how the actual "scrambling" was done.
This has all been so informative, I'm so excited to try it out!
Could I do the scrambling with a whisk a well??

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
A whisk doesn't work very well on firm tofu. I throw everything into my food processor, then add some chopped veggies. I like tomatoes and mushrooms best, but occasionally add some spinach, too.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

Oops, I mean "black salt"...it is a kind of salt that smells and tastes like eggs. It is pink.

can't link to Wiki, as it's down but here's a link:http://www.saltworks.us/kala-namak-black-salt.html

I think the tofu I use is called firm, but I'm not sure...it isn't the more jelly stuff, although you can use that.

You can add cherry tomatoes, sweet corn and wotnot, but that's up to the person making it.
I just ordered some of that salt. Neat website. No shipping, even better.

Thanks, Laura

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audretoburrito View Post

Audrey
Yum! Another one to try.

Thanks, Laura

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
I take a spoon and crumble the tofu, throw it in a pan with olive oil, add spinach, red peppers, green peppers, onions, chili pepper, and daiya .

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I always use firm, but I don't worry about pressing it...if it's really wet, I might give it a squeeze over the sink, before putting it into the fp.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Does everyone always use firm tofu? Ever use silken or is it too soft? Do you always drain and press it?
Silken will produce too much water, and you'll be left with more of a soup than a scramble. Press as much water out as you can.

You *can* use silken, or not press the tofu, though, if you simmer it long enough to boil off all of the extra water (could take a half an hour though, and waste some energy).

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's the main reason I freeze it besides it staying good longer. When it's frozen and thawed it feels kinda like a sponge. I just grab a chunk and squeeze it out over the sink. I'm not sure I'd remember to press it before hand if it's fresh lol. I'm lucky when I remember to soak my beans the night before I'm makeing something. Other yummy stuff to throw in with them is italian seasonings, spinach, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatos halved, and of course garlic Plus the nooch and the turmeric. The turmeric turns it yellow I'm told though I can't say cause I'm blind so I'll just take peeps word on that one.

Audrey

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like it with Olive Oil, zucchini, onions, garlic, lots of curry powder and sprinkled with salt before eating. Not the healthiest way to make it, but so delicious.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoarPineapplePlz View Post

I like it with Olive Oil, zucchini, onions, garlic, lots of curry powder and sprinkled with salt before eating. Not the healthiest way to make it, but so delicious.
That sounds pretty healthy to me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts