VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been a vegan for a couple of weeks now, and I want to try tofu scramble. However, I notice that almost all of the recipes I come across call for turmeric and/or nutritional yeast. Are these necessary to make tofu scramble, or can I use other spices and have it taste alright as well? Also, I've seen both the word 'drained' and 'pressed' in reference to the tofu--do they mean the same thing, or does draining the tofu mean just taking it out of the water? Do I need to press/drain the tofu before cooking it?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I almost never press or drain tofu...once in a great while, if it seems really wet. It's not necessary. Draining, you could simply put it in a colander for a little while. Pressing is when you put a heavy object on the tofu, so that water is slowly (about an hour) squeezed out. I always use nutritional yeast and turmeric in my scrambled tofu, so I don't know how it would taste without it. The worst it would be is a little bland, though. I don't think I'd let it stop me. My recipe calls for soy sauce, so I'd probably just add a little more of that and maybe add some garlic powder...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts