VeggieBoards banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
You probably need to drain the tofu. The first time I made tofu scramble I thought it was horrid..

Use extra firm tofu (not silken). To drain the tofu you remove it from the package and then place it in a towel. I generally cut the tofu in 4 equal strips. I lay the tofu side by side on the towel and then wrap the towel around the tofu. I then place heavy books on the tofu. When the towel is soaked I move the tofu to a dry spot and press with books again.

When you cook the scramble you need to heat the oil before adding the tofu also remember anything with liquid you add will be absorbed by the tofu. I usually sauté onions, green peppers and tomatoes that I add to the scramble just as it is finishing. If the tomatoes are added directly to the tofu in the skillet the tofu will become wet again, so be sure to cook things like tomatoes separate and only add at the last second.

You can also drain and then freeze (in a sandwich baggy) the tofu for a few days. Thaw the tofu in the fridge and before using drain again. This will give it a chicken type texture.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts