2 Tbsp nutritional yeast

4 Tbsp low-sodium tamari, soy sauce, or Braggs Liquid Aminos

1.5 - 2 tsp Liquid smoke

2 Tbsp maple syrup

Cooking spray

Instructions:

------------------------------------------------------

Heat oven to 325 F.

After draining and pressing the tofu, carefully slice it through the width to form thin layer-shaped slices that will fit on a piece of bread. You should be able to get at least 8 thickish slices out of it, and maybe more thinner slices if you're good at slicing it.

Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray and lay the slices out on it.

In a small bowl, mix the nutritional yeast, tamari, and liquid smoke. It will form a fairly thick glaze. Brush this onto the tops of the tofu slices, then turn them over and brush the other side.

Bake at 325 for about 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. During the last 10 minutes, brush the slices with maple syrup.

By the end of 40 minutes, you should see them turning noticeably brown and crispy, particularly in the thinner areas, and shriveling up a bit around the edges. They will not become completely bacon-like, though. If they still seem too pale and wobbly, you can bake them a bit longer, but if you bake them too long, you may have tofu jerky instead.

Slap immediately onto sandwiches, or refrigerate and reheat in the microwave as needed.

Additional comments:

------------------------------------------------------

This is an adaptation of the Tofu Bacon recipe from www.Vegweb.com.

I got 8 slices out of my block of tofu, but I had already eaten one when I took this picture. It was nummy on a veggie sammie. Just the right amount of salty-sweet chewiness.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I think she Photoshopped the picture. God knows that's easier than cleaning

It does look yummy. Can you come to my house and do it for me? I'll give you a dollar.

~Wonder

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I wondered if I was going to catch flak for that. Seriously, it just happens that I did the first major cleaning on my stove in FAR too long (scrubbed drip pans, opened it up and cleaned underneath and all that jazz) a few days ago. And the pan is remarkably clean because (a) that's the heavy duty one we bought recently just for oven fries- our other pans are permanently grease-stained, and (b) I forgot to take the picture when I actually cooked them, so I got the finished slices out of the fridge and laid them out on the clean pan just for the picture!
Under other circumstances it wouldn't have been nearly so Better Homes & Gardens. It's just like a cooking show where the host magically whips out the finished, perfect dish from under the counter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts