VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay... this may sound REALLY silly, but I'll ask anyway..

(why not? you people don't know me.. *laugh* ..j/k)

well, the thing is, I have a slight aversion to tofu. (well, I've only had it a few times..) you see, I've always kinda had tofu that was slimy or jiggly... not appealing.

Does anyone know of some recipes that actually make tofu taste.. really good? hmm? maybe?

-tokyopixie

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Here is my favorite.

Thai tofu

marinade

half a block of extra firm tofu (drained and cubed)

1 tsp soy sauce

2 tsp olive oil

5-6 cloves garlic (minced)

1 small bell pepper (cut into strips)

1 tsp fresh ginger (minced)

1 jalapeno pepper (or to taste)

1 red bell pepper (cut into long strips)

marinate for several hours

Peanut sauce

3 shallot onions

1.5 T peanut butter

2 T lemon juice

.25 tsp basil

.25 tsp mint

mix together until in reaches an even consistency

place the marinade in a shallow baking dish and bake at 400 for 20 min stirring about twice

then stir in the peanut sauce and bake for another 20 min stirring about twice.

Serve on whole wheat couscous

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just had Stuffed Portabellos which are a taste sensation to me. They have tofu, carrot, red pepper, onion, walnuts(I think thats the secret ingredient) tahini.

I think they would appeal to everybody.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like eating tofu raw- sliced thin, on crackers or just byitself. Also good is sliced thin and fried like bacon, seasoned- with b-b-q sauce... there's alot of diversity with tofu-I'm just too lazy to explore them myself.

actually- ultra soft kinda tofu is supposed to make good milkshakes/smoothies-I haven't ever tried to find a recipe though

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just cube and slice, fry lightly in olive oil and they are all crispy and yummy! You then can add a sauce if and eat you fancy and eat with noodles or rice.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Wow - not easy to get around the jiggly thing (though the firmer the tofu - the less jiggly it is...but I know what you mean about the texture - jiggly but also custardish no matter how firm...that's just the facts) :)

Here are some ideas to add tofu to the diet without eating it for it's own sake (does that make sense?)

* Silken tofu/soymilk/frozen fruit/sweetener if desired - blend it all up for a good smoothie (and healthy too).

* add crumbled tofu to veggie burger batch

* Cut up tofu small or crumble and add to stews/soups (you might not even notice it in there).

* Eat Tofu products like ice cream, desserts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my favorite things to do to tofu is to freeze it! The texture totally changes--no more jigglies! You'll need the firm ("Chinese") style, rather than the silken kind.

Directions can be found here:

http://vegetarian.about.com/c/ht/00/...0962933750.htm

...although I would amend it slightly. My version replaces steps 6 and 7:

6. Place the pieces on cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Be sure that no pieces touch. Carefully place cookie sheet in freezer, and allow the pieces to freeze thoroughly.

7. When pieces are totally frozen, remove from cookie sheet and place the pieces into a zip-locked freezer bag.

If you try this... let me know how it turns out!

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's taken me awhile to warm up to tofu as well (3 years!). The thing that made me "come around" to tofu was homemade tofu jerky! I make it at least once a week. Even my omni friends and family like it. I'd give a recipe, but it changes evertime i make it.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
the secret to good tofu is to drain it well. i do this by wrapping it in a towel and placing books on it. i repeat this until it no longer feels slimey. i also make sure the pan is hot.

freezing tofu does make it have a great texture.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I love using frozen tofu in stirfries. I find it sucks up my thai peanut sauce a little bit better than if I don't freeze it. I have really come to love tofu over the last two years. I like it baked with tamari and maple syrup. And I like dipped in tamari and then breaded with nutritional yeast and fried in a little bit of hot oil. It is fantastic-comfort food!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I put it in a blender with lots of strawberries and sugar, or artificial sweetener if you prefer because I find I need a lot of sugar to hide the pasty tofu taste. It's like a strawberry pudding and you can mix granola in with it. You can totally fool people who say they'd never eat tofu! I have also put it in a blender with bananas and chocolate sauce (and brown sugar), or frozen juice mix. Sometimes I eat it like pudding or sometimes I freeze it and eat it like ice cream.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree with freezing it! Plus, if you buy Extra-Firm or Super Firm, it's not at all jiggly. My favorite brand is "Soy Power" Super Firm. It is very, very firm, the firmest I've ever tried. It comes in 12 oz measures, wrapped in plastic in the refrigerated section -- not in a plastic tub with water. It is so firm, I use it for recipes calling for 16 oz. tofu. It is great to marinate and cook as is, but it also benefits from freezing, if you want that chewy texture.

Here is a good marinade. I like to use this for spring rolls, stirfries, and just out of hand.

3/4 lb tofu, diced

1/2 C water

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 tsp ginger, minced

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/4 tsp crushed anise seeds

1/8 tsp ground cloves

Combine all in a saucepan,, bring to a boil, simmer about 20 minutes. Store in marinade or drain and make a sauce with it:

1/2 C strained marinade, cooled

1 C vegetable stock

2 TB dry sherry (not cooking sherry)

1 tsp brown rice or maple syrup

1 tsp vinegar

1 TB cornstarch

* note

Combine well with a whisk. Add to almost done vegetable/tofu saute, until thickened and coating the veggies.

I cannot remember the source of this recipe. It may be from "Compassionate Cook."

* you can also use Chinese Five Spice for the dry spices -- cinnamon, allspice, anise, cloves -- if you don't happen to have all those spices regularly.

------

This is one of my favorites. I make it often during summer on skewers and bbq them with mushrooms, onions, bells, tomatoes, etc.! This recipe is worth it! (My notes in parenthesis)

JERK TOFU or Tempeh - "Cooking with PETA"

1/4 C apple or papaya juice

3 TB grated onion

3 cloves of garlic, minced

2 TB soy sauce

2 TB minced fresh hot pepper of choice

2 TB vinegar

1 TB oil (I've left it out with no problems)

1 TB grated gingerroot

1 1/2 tsp allspice

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1/2 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 lb steamed tofu or tempeh, previously frozen, thawed, and squeezed dry

1/2 C chopped scallions

(I don't go through the trouble of mincing the garlic and ginger, pepper, onion; I just throw them in the blender to save time)

Combine all in blender EXCEPT TOFU/TEMPEH AND SCALLIONS)

Cut tofu/tempeh inito 1-inch cubes or strips and arrange them on layer deep in a glass pan. (I just put the tofu in a ziploc-type bag and pour in the sauce to marinate. It's quicker and does a better job of marinating.) Pour the blended mixture over the tofu/tempeh. Press sauce into it wht a spatula or palms of your hands. Let marinate for a few hours or overnight. (I like it best overnight)

Preheat oven to broil, prepare the coals, or heat griddle.

Broil for 5 minutes, turn over and broil 5 more minutes. Fi cooking on a grill or oiled griddle, brown on both sides. Serve hot with chopped scallions for a garnish.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
deep-fry the tofu.

you will find the texture entirely transformed.

You can also freeze the tofu and then thaw and drain it (I'd also drain the water from the plastic tub before freezing). This makes the tofu way chewey.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tofu

I just cube and slice, fry lightly in olive oil and they are all crispy and yummy!
pretty much the same here. cut cubes, pop in the toaster for about 15 mins - delicious! of course, it only works well with fresh tofu, not that chemical-tasting stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts