VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with that? I'm pretty sure tofu isn't SUPPOSED to be that gooey. Anyone have any ideas how to firm that stuff up? Because I've found it unpalatable every time I've tried it.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
In comes in different styles... silken, medium firm, firm, extra firm. Silken can be very smooth. Have you tried extra firm?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
are you using silken tofu? that's pretty loose, depending on how firm it is.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes. I am using Silken with the one I bought as it was all I found in the supermarket here- but whilst eating out, the tofu I have tried in restaurants has also been extremely gooey. Which is the most common variety one would come across?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
not the silken, but use firm or extra firm, which holds it's shape very well in cubes, strips or triangles- however they are cut.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

Ah yes. I am using Silken with the one I bought as it was all I found in the supermarket here- but whilst eating out, the tofu I have tried in restaurants has also been extremely gooey. Which is the most common variety one would come across?
Tofu by itself has never been anything I'd call "gooey". Could you mean the coating it had? Like General Tsos tofu? Maybe a glaze?

Silken I'd call more like custard- regular more like a block of a cottage cheese curd

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Silken is really for baking, deserts, flans and things like that, normal tofu is better for cubing and putting into dishes. Using silken by accident is actually a mistake I know that has put several people I know (seperatly) off of tofu - including me.

That said, if you consider resturaunt tofy "gooey" it sounds like that is how tofu is supposed to be. Have you tried it in more than one resturaunt cooked different ways and still considered both "gooey"? If so, you may just not like the texture.

Some tofu is "gooeyer" than others, the tofu I've eaten in japaense resturaunts could be called gooey at a stretch - and so could cauldren tofu, but other tofu like the brand Taifun is much much firmer - I presume this is the difference between firmnesses of tofus. So I would suggest looking at a health food shop or online for different brands of tofu - and deffinatly switch from silken!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts