VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
If the FDA gets its way, by Oct. 22, 2012, every pack of cigarettes sold in the United States will carry one of nine graphic, full-color, gross warnings reminding people of just how horrible smoking is for their health. The image might be a pair of healthy lungs next to a pair of blackened and diseased lungs. Or a man smoking out of a hole in his throat. Or a mouth with sores on the lips and teeth all yellowed and decayed.

But tobacco companies are fighting that plan. On Tuesday, five U.S. tobacco companies sued the federal government, saying the mandatory warnings would violate their free speech rights.
Rest of the story here.

The tobacco people are suing the FDA? Wha......?
Do you think their case is valid? Would nasty images on a pack of buts really discourage a hardcore smoker from lighting up?

·
Registered
130 Posts
since when do corporations have rights? :/

We've had pretty pictures on our packs here in aus for a few years now. I'm not sure if the pictures are effective, but the cumulative effect of the anti smoking measures the government is taking does seem to be pushing smoking rates down. Cigarettes can't be openly displayed in stores, they're not allowed to advertise on tv/at sporting games/in print (or at all afaik?), they have to carry the health warnings/pictures, and now the latest measure being pushed through is removing branding from the packages so they all look more or less the same. My heart isn't exactly bleeding with sympathy for them though.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I'm all for it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts