VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a dog that is in its cage all day, the dog barks all day. I feel sorry for the dog and I want to know if I can call police or some kind of government authority to confront my neighbor and solve this problem. Or is it a fact that the police or some kind of animal government thing cannot do anything?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It depends on what kind of condition the dog is in, its crate is in, how often it is getting out, etc.

You can contact Animal Control and I suggest you get others to call as well [just one complaint tends to not to be useful and/or acted upon by most facilities].

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Well there are probably noise ordinances and a barking dog would be considered a nuisance and they would need to do something to stop the dog from barking. Keep in mind though that the "solution" may be surgically removing the dogs vocal chords, which certainly is not in the dog's best interests.

What do you mean by "all day"? 24 hours, or just while the owners are at work?

·
Registered
0 Posts
There is animal control, but like Kpickell said, they don't always have the dog's best interest in mind. Does the dog have food and water? Is it outside during bad weather conditions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. The dog constantly barks during the afternoon, not at night. But there are always people in that house, whether the owner is gone or not. I assume the dog does not bark at night since it is asleep. It seems like I cant do anything really, especially since it seems like the dog is fed and is in a rather large cage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey,

I work for a shelter (I am not allowed to say which one though . . . silly policy), and when we get noise complaints, we are to refer people to the police as they can lay down noise violation charges in much the same way that charges are laid down for noisy parties, etc . . .

If you think that there is further concern (such as abuse, neglect, etc.) don't call the Animal Control if there is a Humane Society or SPCA branch in your area. The SPCA agents have the ability to go to the house and remove the animal if you have witnessed any sort of ill-treatment (and that does not just mean abuse . . . neglect is just as bad) toward the dog. Animal Control is usually just concerned with dealing with lost pets, strays, and some cruelty violations, but the SPCA is the body that deals primarily with cruelty issues.

Hope that helps

Cheers,

Natal

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAthid View Post

Thanks for all the help. The dog constantly barks during the afternoon, not at night. But there are always people in that house, whether the owner is gone or not. I assume the dog does not bark at night since it is asleep. It seems like I cant do anything really, especially since it seems like the dog is fed and is in a rather large cage.
I'm still not clear on the situation. I can't tell if this is really abusive, or if it's just someone crate training their dog and it has separation anxiety or something.

Have you talked to the owners, or at least left them a note? Perhaps they crate their dog while they're at work, which is not abusive, and they just aren't aware that the dog is causing a disturbance when they're gone.

FYI, I lock my dogs in cages when I'm gone also, and I would want to know if my dogs are barking when I'm gone. I would be upset if someone reported me to the police, when a quick visit or letter could solve the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts