VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! (sorry for my english, I always say the same
)

Its difficult for you eat outside??. In Spain (Im from Spain) its really difficult. There are not much restaurants, pubs, etc.. with vegan or vegetarian food.

When I go out with my friends I dont know what can I eat...

Some ideas??????

Thanks

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I don't find it difficult. I realise that I do not have the choice I would have if I either cooked for myself or ate in a Vegetarian restaurant. If there is nothing on the menu I can eat I just request of the chef that s/he make something up for me. So far, in my 20 years of vegetarianism, this has not been a problem.

·
Banned
6,445 Posts
yes Kiz is right , go out the back and ask the chef , I to have never had any problem , Dont except to sit down and think a vegan meal is going to come to you , it wont.You have to get in a restaurant ask what you want (politely)and they will in most cases be more than willing to serve up what YOU want......and welcome to the VB

·
Registered
76 Posts
Spain would be harder to get vegan restaurant meals than here in the US -- especially in the tapas bars which are pre-set appetizers and almost always meat and cheese based. I love Spain but I wasn't vegan when I visited last; and from what I remember of the menus it would have been challenging.

However, if I remember correctly, Spain has some terrific side dishes which with a little coordinating with the chef could be made vegan fairly easily. So maybe you could get several sides instead of the standard main course?

If the menu is posted online, I always read it thoroughly and figure out which options are the easiest to change into vegan food before I go in to the restaurant. Then I talk to the waiter about what I want. Usually, they've been quite helpful. Best of luck.

·
Banned
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

I was thinking about this very question this morning. I don't get out much, but was wondering if I would have a hard time finding things on menus when if I do go out.

What kinds of things do you come up with to ask for?
Dont no what your diet is I'm lacto the veggie rennet type but so I go vegan when I dine out there is just to much hassle explaining the cheese thing .

I dont ask for a specific dish its more to do with a dish that does not have meat fish chicken eggs dairy products although you mighten mind the dairy products watch the veggie soups most are "chicken "stock based

They have always prepared dishes according to the above guide lines .

Found out important to get out the back and talk to the chef .It wont work trying to explain to an 18 year old part student waitress .

Have been amazed at how many chefs ,owners, workers are veggie them self so they are right with you .

Also if you have doubts about a meals make up you put it to the chef and see if he is lying . Some , if you ask the waitress the answer will come back , no problem when its got a say meat based sauce in.....they dont care just a sale to some .

At the end of the day i am the one paying

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoco View Post

Its difficult for you eat outside??. In Spain (Im from Spain) its really difficult. There are not much restaurants, pubs, etc.. with vegan or vegetarian food.
I have the same problem here in the US. One problem is that carnie cooks are basically clueless as to what a good plant-based meal looks like, so even if you request one specially made, it is likely to be of poor quality. I have just about given up on eating well at carnie restaurants. Instead of ordering a main course, I sometimes just order a vegan appetizer and then eat at home. This is not very convenient, but sometimes it's the best I can do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Spain would be harder to get vegan restaurant meals than here in the US -- especially in the tapas bars which are pre-set appetizers and almost always meat and cheese based. I love Spain but I wasn't vegan when I visited last; and from what I remember of the menus it would have been challenging.

/QUOTE]

Bapace, its true. Last summer I went to US and thre are many vegetarian food in supermarkets, great!!!

Here its not the same, food always is based in meat, chesse, eggs...

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree that it's really a matter of adjusting your expectations. Eating out will be more or less difficult depending on how strict your diet is and where you live. I don't know about Spain, but it's pretty tough to get a special-ordered veg*n meal with any imagination behind it where I live in Kentucky! It's much easier in big cities (I used to live in Seattle, so there you go). It's frustrating that while most restaurants offer at least a vegetarian option, it's usually some overcooked veggies or a totally lifeless salad. The meal might be nominally veg*n, but it's just so totally uninspired. I agree with the person who said ^^ that most chefs aren't well-trained in how to make good veg*n food. That seems to be changing, though (slowly) - even here in KY I have better luck than I did even five years ago. Veg*nism, at least in the dining world, seems to be getting a little more recognition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.