VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So pretty much since I have been 17 I have a reoccurring girlie infection (not yeast but you're close) ridiculously often (on the safe side I'll say at least once or twice a year but i'd wager a lot more often is more common for me for example in 2006 I was treated 3 times prior to a girlie operation, and within a month post op, had to be treated AGAIN.)
I am 34 weeks pregnant and have had this infection 3 times in that 34 weeks! The antibiotics they use to treat it are controversial at best for use on pregnant women. Not to mention sound dangerous (for both my baby and me), AND they have started treating me for longer periods of time to see if that helps. Supposedly the risk of the drug is less than the risk of it causing "pre-term labor".

Apparently no one knows the cause, and there isn't a "natural remedy for it", my DH can't have/carry or otherwise, and I'm getting really frustrated.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I'm sorry that you are struggling with this, sounds frustrating in the least.

The information is pretty vague, do you know what kind of infection it is specifically?
What operation did you have? and was it due to the infection in any way?

Generally anytime someone takes antibiotics it messes with bacteria, including the good kind that we need. Anytime I take antibiotics and am not careful to follow the course with probiotics I get a candida driven yeast infection, sometimes in my uterus sometimes in my digestive tract, sometimes both! The antibiotics kill pretty much everything, we need certain bacteria and it can be difficult to get the balance back after taking antibiotics. What sucks is that they keep prescribing you the antibiotics, which very well may be the reason you keep getting infections.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking it must be Gardnerella (bacterial vaginosis). Has your partner been tested for anything? Probiotics can support vaginal health.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes sorry! I wasn't sure how much detail you ladies would allow.
It is Bacterial Vaginosis.
The surgery was a leep, unrelated but they wouldn't perform the surgery with an active infection.
I seem to ALWAYS have this stupid infection. I rarely have any symptoms either, in fact the only symptom I ever seem to have is feeling swollen occasionally during sex, they just kept catching it cause I had to have paps done every 3 months after my surgery, and of course now, due to pregnancy they want to keep it away to prevent pre-term labor.

He has not been tested for anything since we met (7 years ago). The doctors said he could get it or transfer it.. Is there actually a way this could be from him? (we both had this very talk the other night actually)

Hmm perhaps I need to look into some probiotics then, since nothing else seems to work..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could you try some cranberry juice and maybe some fortified yogurt? IME, cranberry juice is very beneficial for women's health, especially in that area. Also, try avoiding sugar for a while. I find that sugar seems to aggravate and/or cause infections down there, so eliminating that from your diet might help.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks Eyebright! I was thinking it's time to re cut sugar (I have been a bit of a naughty eater since being pregnant) and as soon as he's born I plan to move towards a more RAW diet to see if that helps.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far I gather this
No Sugar
No Soy

But then it tells me to eat yogurt, which is loaded with sugar. So I'm a bit at a loss..

Been with my hubby and we've both been monogamous for 7 years, so THAT can't be the prob.
I don't bath (in the tub silly folks) or douche
In fact since being pregnant maybe I shower too much

Can any of you recommend probiotics? I see my OB again Tuesday (for me weekly checks on baby) and I am going to ask her 9 million questions (okay not that many) and see if it is worth treating my DH to see if it helps.

When I google it, doesn't look like I'm the only one with this issue, unfortunately non of them seem to be able to rid themselves either..

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Yes, yogurt can be helpful, just don't get the kind with added sugar (like those kind in the Yoplait commercials that copy cake and pies...) Plain greek yogurt is something to look for, add berries, wheatgerm, cereal, whatever you like or eat it plain or use it for dressings or sauces. The grams of sugar on the label of yogurt w/o added sugar in the ingredients list (usually around 5 grams) is from the sugars in the milk used to make the yogurt, check the ingredients list to make sure there is no added sugar (some have around 20 grams of sugar!!)

As far as probiotics go, I usually get whatever is vegan/vegetarian and on sale. The majority of the probiotics need to be kept refrigerated FYI and also may be kept in refrigerated sections of the stores if you can't find them by supplements.

Im not totally sure, but its good to ask your Dr. about whether to take the probiotics while also taking antibiotics (can't remember if you said you were still taking the a.b.'s) because I think the antibiotics will just kill off the probiotics so it could be a waste of money. I usually take them after a course of antibiotics myself.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Coconut yogurt? I don't do dairy yogurt well..

Okay thanks!

Okay thanks! yeah still on the AB's for 8 more days (I'm in the "long" treatment). Plus I want to double check that they are totally okay for baby and make sure I know if there is anything to watch out for.

Thank you guys so much!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Since you mentioned that you're pregnant, you probably need a trip to the doctor just to make sure everything is ok. Nothing to be alarmed about, of course, but these types of infections can be common in pg women.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstack View Post

Coconut yogurt? I don't do dairy yogurt well..

Okay thanks!

Okay thanks! yeah still on the AB's for 8 more days (I'm in the "long" treatment). Plus I want to double check that they are totally okay for baby and make sure I know if there is anything to watch out for.

Thank you guys so much!
Oh then just skip the yogurt altogether, its tough to find non-dairy yogurt that doesnt have added sugar.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebright View Post

Since you mentioned that you're pregnant, you probably need a trip to the doctor just to make sure everything is ok. Nothing to be alarmed about, of course, but these types of infections can be common in pg women.
Oh yeah no worries I have been there (every week from now till he arrives). And a doctor is diagnosing me every time.. in fact we (my doctor and I) are going to have a chat about probiotics and if I can start them after my round of AB is up, and if she thinks I should eliminate sugar and soy (I'll work that way anyhow, post partum I feel a strong pull to eat mostly RAW again)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.