VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...rue-ar-358900/

This doesn't surprise me one bit. The majority of the situations depicted on the show were absurd and so exaggerated from the beginning. One of my local store chains participated on this show and it was beyond obvious that they had "bent the rules" just for the show. They enraged so many loyal customers by doing so and had to quickly apologize and do some serious control damage.

I hope the show ends up getting cancelled. I think it's done nothing but create problems for retailers and customers. I had never encountered shelves of one product be totally wiped out by one person before this show existed. I also believe the show encouraged coupon fraud like photocopying coupons (I actually saw someone recommend this on Facebook) , hoarding and stricter coupon policies by stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,945 Posts
I never watched the show, but sometimes after seeing how much I've saved, my cashier will ask me if I watch the show because I regularly knock 50% (or more) off my tab, by shopping sales, buying cases and using coupons. I don't even spend that much time on it. Maybe an hour a week?

Example: I just bought a case of Garden of Eatin' blue chips. Normal price $4.69, on sale for $3.00, had a dollar coupon for each and got the 10% case discount. So, I paid $1.80 for each 16 oz bag. I've occasionally bought the last 12 of something on the shelf. Didn't know that made me evil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
How the hell does crap like this end up on "The Learning Channel"? Learning what? . . . How to swindle drugstore clerks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
I tried couponing after watching the show, I was really disappointed that I hardly saved anything. I always shop sales, but Canadian coupons are usually for crap I don't need, or brands I don't like. I'm glad to see I wasn't just an idiot who couldn't do it right
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

How the hell does crap like this end up on "The Learning Channel"? Learning what? . . . How to swindle drugstore clerks?
I feel like all the stations that used to be good are like this now...

History Channel: Ax men... Pawn Stars
Discovery Channel: American CHopper, Pitch Men

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

I feel like all the stations that used to be good are like this now...

History Channel: Ax men... Pawn Stars
Discovery Channel: American CHopper, Pitch Men

Exactly, they're terrible. The BBC America is terrible too. Half of it is American shows and movies and the rest is like Top Gear and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Even IFC has gone to ****.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
thankies for the update....I am not suprised by this at all.....and admit I have watched all the shows and couponing all stars....they deserve to have the book....a big thick book..(LOL)...thrown at them IMO.. for giving us honest couponers a bad name.....I live, breathe, and LOVE Coupons more than anyone I know...and I use them all the time...but always honestly....I dont get hauls like they do....but I do pretty good and help many of my family, friends, and charitable organizations with the wonderful deals I do get....and thats all I have wanted to do help people....not get a million jars of mustard or whatever.

peace, love and hippie couponing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I never watched the show, but sometimes after seeing how much I've saved, my cashier will ask me if I watch the show because I regularly knock 50% (or more) off my tab, by shopping sales, buying cases and using coupons. I don't even spend that much time on it. Maybe an hour a week?

Example: I just bought a case of Garden of Eatin' blue chips. Normal price $4.69, on sale for $3.00, had a dollar coupon for each and got the 10% case discount. So, I paid $1.80 for each 16 oz bag. I've occasionally bought the last 12 of something on the shelf. Didn't know that made me evil.
If you wiped out their entire inventory along with every other stores and used coupons that you photocopied then yeah you might be a tad bit of evil but I think you're in the clear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

How the hell does crap like this end up on "The Learning Channel"? Learning what? . . . How to swindle drugstore clerks?
Well TLC does have some educational shows that teach interesting lessons.
Examples:
Toddlers and Tiaras -how to exploit your daughter and screw her up for the rest of her life just to get a trophy.
I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant- Don't always assume it's the extra fiber in your diet thats making you rush to the bathroom.
19 Kids and Counting- How to consistantly remain pregnant and have easy labors until one day the baby just falls out of your vagina.
Kate Plus 8- Yet another lesson on how to exploit your children for fame and fortune.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
961 Posts
Ive tried extreme couponing befor. Did ot go so well. The most i ever save is 20 dollars ive never gone over that. I only buy stuff that i need or will definately use. I dont stock up my gargage with shelves full of antibacterial soap and deoderant and chexmix. It REALLY pisses me off when i do have a good coupon for something i really like and theres none on the shelf. That makes me wanna hit someone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Well TLC does have some educational shows that teach interesting lessons.
Examples:
Toddlers and Tiaras -how to exploit your daughter and screw her up for the rest of her life just to get a trophy.
I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant- Don't always assume it's the extra fiber in your diet thats making you rush to the bathroom.
19 Kids and Counting- How to consistantly remain pregnant and have easy labors until one day the baby just falls out of your vagina.
Kate Plus 8- Yet another lesson on how to exploit your children for fame and fortune.
Yeah, and what Puppet Master said about the other "learning type thingie" channels nowadays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
I used to coupon, then this show ruined it. Most of the good coupons went away, the sales changed, the rules tightened, and now I can't even get a decent deal on anything so I gave it up entirely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,214 Posts
I've never been able to save more than a few dollars using coupons, so I wondered what the problem was. Now I know. I've never tried to be an extreme couponer, just a Jenn couponer, named after My Friend Jenn the Coupon Queen - that's her right there ->

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

thankies for the update....I am not suprised by this at all.....and admit I have watched all the shows and couponing all stars....they deserve to have the book....a big thick book..(LOL)...thrown at them IMO.. for giving us honest couponers a bad name.....I live, breathe, and LOVE Coupons more than anyone I know...and I use them all the time...but always honestly....I dont get hauls like they do....but I do pretty good and help many of my family, friends, and charitable organizations with the wonderful deals I do get....and thats all I have wanted to do help people....not get a million jars of mustard or whatever.

peace, love and hippie couponing
...but I can't even do as well as Jenn does. So, so much for Extreme couponing. Or even Jenn couponing.


ETA: Also, I want to point out that Gelson's, one of the supermarkets mentioned in the article, is a rather expensive and upscale supermarket. It's one thing to buy certain items with matching coupons and save a few dollars, but trying to be an extreme couponer there is like buying a Ferrari and expecting great gas mileage. Maybe the mileage is great or maybe it isn't, but that's not the point. That's not why you buy a Ferrari.


I don't shop there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
On those shows, it looks like they buy a lot of stuff they don't need because they have a coupon. Wasteful.

I never find coupons for things I actually buy. Only processed foods and usually already overpriced name brand stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

thankies for the update....I am not suprised by this at all.....and admit I have watched all the shows and couponing all stars....they deserve to have the book....a big thick book..(LOL)...thrown at them IMO.. for giving us honest couponers a bad name.....I live, breathe, and LOVE Coupons more than anyone I know...and I use them all the time...but always honestly....I dont get hauls like they do....but I do pretty good and help many of my family, friends, and charitable organizations with the wonderful deals I do get....and thats all I have wanted to do help people....not get a million jars of mustard or whatever.

peace, love and hippie couponing
Exactly!

I taped one that featured a vegan couponer. She even had "vegan pride" tattooed on both arms. It featured few items, but at the end when it showed her hoard of items--shelves full of P&G, Colgate-all kinds of health and beauty (?) items of the worst animal testing companies.


I also blame this for stores making you buy 3 to get a 4th one free. Or, buy something and get a store credit coupon for future purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Exactly, they're terrible. The BBC America is terrible too. Half of it is American shows and movies and the rest is like Top Gear and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Even IFC has gone to ****.
What BBCA are you watching? lol i've never seen an American show on there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I wanted to start couponing after I saw that show. But there are no good coupons around where I live. Only for processed, non-vegan stuff I wouldn't consume if it someone PAID me to take it.
:p
lameooooos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Reality tv shows are staged for added effect and to draw in viewers. It's sad that in this economy producers will enforce this and trick viewers into believing that they're capable of saving an x-amount of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
I do pretty well myself, combining coupons with sale prices and the fact that Giant doubles every coupon up to a dollar. Of course they inflate their prices on other items to make up for the loss, so I shop Aldi for everything else and just do hit-and-runs on Giant for the coupons and sales. Has worked well so far and I have yet to pay full price for Nasoya tofu or Silk soymilk since there's always a coupon available for those.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top