VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How they ever thought this was a good idea escapes me. I'd love to see the research that supports what they touted as the outcome. I'm willing to bet there wasn't any research and it was Big Corporate that sold the idea to our dumbass government.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

"We've literally dumped millions of tires in our oceans," said Jack Sobel, a senior Ocean Conservancy scientist. "I believe that people who were behind the artificial tire reef promotions actually were well intentioned and thought they were doing the right thing. In hindsight, we now realize that we made a mistake."

"Made a mistake" is putting it lightly.

·
Registered
564 Posts
this kind of stuff makes me mad man dumping crap in someones else home is just plane screwed up even if it is an animals

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Yeah, doing this in a hurricane zone, where they're more likely to be subjected to violent currents in the water and move around, was an added stroke of genius.

--Fromper

·
Registered
715 Posts
Quote:
In 1972, Goodyear donated tires to help build the reef. Its press release proclaimed the reef would "provide a haven for fish and other aquatic species."
I've never heard of this. It looks like an underwater dump. That's hideous!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I guess they thought "Out of sight, out of mind" also meant "doesn't exist anymore."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts