VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been suffering from constant tinnitus(ringing in the ears) for over a year and a half now. (drives me insane!) It seemed to have come from nowhere. All of a sudden I was like, ok, my ears are ringing and it won't stop. Been to the doctor, haven't figured out what's causing it. He says there's no damage. I finally have an appt. w/an ENT doc July 5th. I'm worried it might be permanant-and then one day I might end up stabbing pencils into my ears! I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem, and what it turned out to be. I've done a bit of research, and there's tons of possibilities as to the cause. Just wanted to know of any personal experiences. Thanx.<br><br><br><br>
(oh, and I used to listen to loud music, have stopped since it started, also tried lipoflavanoid *sp, w/no results)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hi MZCsmpsns<br><br><br><br>
I have tinnitus in my left ear. I have had it for two years. I also have a hearing loss (both ears) of about 1/4. My doctor said the tinnitus is part of the hearing loss but I don't really believe it. I have had some days where it is so faint I think it is gone and than I "listen" for it. Then I hear it. I know there are lots of people that have tinnitus and no hearing loss. I think the doctors don't really know what causes it so they try to come up with lots of different explainations to just give you an answer.<br><br><br><br>
Since I wear hearing aids sometimes, the aids seem to 'mask' the tinnitus. Right now, I do not have them in and I can hear the tinnitus. It drove me crazy in the beginning but I have learned to except that it is there. (I know that sounds weird to you now but strangely enough you can actually get used to it in a way...I am grateful mine is only in one ear).<br><br><br><br>
I think, for mine, that stress has a lot to do with it. I tend to clench my jaw without realizeing it and than the tinnitus seem to get louder. If I concentrate on keeping my jaw relaxed (esp when sleeping) the tinnitus seems to lessen in volume. When I clench my jaw, I have problem with my TMJ joint and I think the bone, which is close to the ear, gets pushed up there and might be causing the ringing.<br><br><br><br>
I have a book called "Stop your Tinnitus" by Phillis Avery. It is a small book but had some interesting insights in to what could cause tinnitus. She found out that hers was caused by a build up of toxins from her diet and she went on a fast and the tinnitus disappeared in three days. You can get the book on rawfood.com or used on Amazon.com. Ears can accumuluate toxins too.<br><br><br><br>
Also there are 'tinnitus maskers' that are supposed to lessen the sound. Of course, one thing that also helps me, other than my hearing aids, it just to have other 'noise' going on...either head phones, TV or music. You don't notice it as much when you are listening to other sounds.<br><br><br><br>
There is a tinnitus website:<br><br><a href="http://www.ata.org/" target="_blank">http://www.ata.org/</a><br><br><br><br>
Good Luck!<br><br>
queenfluff<br><br>
(if you need more help, feel free to email me)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts