VeggieBoards banner

tilted uterus

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  zoebird 
#1 ·
I'm 10 weeks pregnant and have a tilted uterus. (which apparently 20% of women have anyway.) Most people say that it will flip back on its own before start of second trimester. So far, its still tilted, and its starting to put a lot of pressure on my bladder (i'm having to go a lot more frequently!) It hasn't yet caused me any difficulty in urination though.

This wasn't a worry to me at all when I first found out - I read that it either rights itself, or it can be manually manipulated into the proper place. Plus, my own mother has the same thing and successfully bore me and my sisters/brothers.

Well..... after my pap experience (see other thread...) to be honest I'm horrified at the prospect of having someone move my uterus - i'm feeling very untrusting of medicine right now. Have any of you had this experience? Or know anyone who has had it? Have any knowledge thereof? ;-) Thanks in advance to all my wise veggie women!! :)

#3 ·
I know it probably sounds like I do nothing but fret, but I swear I'm not ;-) I have not held back much from this board, so when I've had a question I just ask it. ;-) I promise I spend most of my time humming away happily that I'm living what I'm dreamed about my whole adult life - creating a little one to love and cherish :) I'm just a bit extra freaked because of my bad experience Monday ;-) I know I'm doing a good job taking care of the baby, eating well, taking DHA supplements and my prenatals :) I know everything will be fine, I was just curious to hear from other ladies who walk on the tilted side ;-)

#6 ·
My sister (who has had 3 kids) and my mom (who had 4 pregnancies - 5 kids) and I (no kids) all have that. I've been told it will right itself, but it isn't a very comfortable process - because your uterus essentially feels like it has to manoever itself out from whatever it's caught behind and get itself to the place where it should be. It will run out of room and squeeze itself into the place where there is room. If I remember correctly, I think my sister said that once she knew what was happening, she could tell what it was - the process took a few days (maybe even a week??? - I honestly can't remember that detail), but you can tell that something is going on. I have never heard of someone having to have a doctor move things around. Just another one of the aches and pains of pregnancy. (I'll confess that this sister didn't do too well with pregnancy - she loves her kids, but she didn't like being pregnant, even if she didn't have any big problems with any of the pregnancies. So take her experience as a slightly-bad scenario and not one of the "everything's good" cases.)

#8 ·
Ditto to the 2nd opinion suggestion, and....wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

I know it probably sounds like I do nothing but fret
don't be silly. I know folks will tell you that women have been having babies for ever, but it's still okay to be bit neurotic, imo.

#9 ·
here are some links that you might find useful in your search for information.

the webster technique is a chiropractice technique utilized to turn babies from breech to head-first positions. one of the purposes is to decrease intrauterine constraint--something that a 'tilt' might be related to. so, you might find it helpful or useful during pregnancy.

You might also be interested in Mayan Abdominal Massage. This includes a self-care technique that can actually reposition and maintain an appropriately positioned uterus. It is only practiced on pregnant women in the first trimester, and then picked up again after birth (6 wks after vaginal; 3 months after c-section). I think that you would likely benefit greatly from this technique--if you still have time to find a practitioner within your first trimester.

There is also some evidence that acupunture is very good throughout pregnancy to help with any number of symptoms and problems--as well as useful for inducing labor naturally with a late-term (41 weeks or more) baby. you may discover that the right practitioner can aid the process in the body's growth process (with baby) that allows the uterus to reposition properly during pregnancy without a problem.

#10 ·
ok, seriously, you need to toss "what to expect when you're expecting." it is by far one of the worst pregnancy books on the market. seriously, one of the most aweful i've ever read. And i've read 78 books on pregnancy and birth to date.

i'll drag out my library and give you a list of my favorites.

#11 ·
I'll start with a list of books. Some of these are directly related, others are more 'Of interest' to women who are pregnant or not.

The Gentle Birth Method by Dr. Gowri Motha

Thinking Woman's Guide to Better Birth by Henci Goer.

Active Birth: the New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally by Janet Balaskas--it explains some stuff intellectually about birth. it goes into different positions and their benefits during labor and birth.

Ecstatic Birth: The Hormonal Blueprint of Labor, Sarah Buckley. The science illustrating the importance of undisturbed birth.

A Good Birth, A Safe Birth : Choosing and Having the Childbirth Experience You Want by Diana Korte--i foudn this book really great for understanding the different 'levels' of care in regards to birth, the different sorts of tests available and their pros and cons. it also has great information on how to develop and enforce a birth plan while in a hospital setting, etc.

Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin--this is about the development of The Farm, a midwifery community in TN, and her approach to midwifery, pregnancy, and childbirth.

The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth, by Laurie Morgan

The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness, by Aviva Romm

Emergency Childbirth by Gregory C. White--lots of great info about birthing on one's own. you get a good sense of what happens during birth. this is great for DIY birthers.

Childbirth Wisdom: From the World's Oldest Societies by Judith Goldsmith--It is pretty good, and discusses "traditional" societies from around the world and how they view/treat pregnancy, birth and newborns.

Expecting Touble; The Myth of Prenatal Care in America--the title is pretty self explainitory.

Here also are some great web sites worth checking out:

Gentle Birth--this is a web site developed by midwives that archives various opinions, articles, etc regarding how to handle various aspects of pregnancy and birth. There was a section on tilted uteruses there, but it was divided into the kinds of tilts--so i didn't link it for you before. But a lot of questions can be answered here.

also, just for pure inspiration: The film Birth As We Know It is fantastic! it's related to the web site Birth Into Being which also has interesting information.

finally, you might also be interested in lotus birth.

#14 ·
You can always start doing pelvic tilts to encourage it forward with gravity... I'm sure there are natural ways of getting it to come where it should be.

My mom has a tilted uterus and had 4 successful pregnancies. Oddly, mine is "normal". Not sure how that happened, lol.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

ok, seriously, you need to toss "what to expect when you're expecting." it is by far one of the worst pregnancy books on the market.
I've heard the same - I've heard that it over-emphasises problems that aren't that common, and causes women to worry needlessly.

Quote:
And i've read 78 books on pregnancy and birth to date.
good lord! That's a lot of books!

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

I've heard the same - I've heard that it over-emphasises problems that aren't that common, and causes women to worry needlessly.
Same here. And no kidding...

An Amazon.com review:

Quote:
Guys ... consider this a warning; this will be the worst book that your significant other can read and will make your life utterly miserable for the next nine months.

It may have been intended as a self-help guide but instead seems to act more as a bible for every worst-case scenario imaginable. After spending a few hours perusing this book's contents, your significant other will become so overworked and paranoid that every little ache, pain, and irritation will become a sign of the baby being born with a forked tongue and three heads. The diet your significant other will try to keep is impossible for any human being alive to follow. She will be told to try and avoid ... damn near everything.

<snip>

#17 ·
LOL. I haven't found it that terrible at all. In fact, for the section about "when things go wrong" - in the very first paragraph it says, "if nothing has gone wrong, this section is not for you!"

And it seems to say that everything is fine, lol. It does emphasize a "pregnancy diet", but to be honest, its pretty much the diet I eat every day anyway - and it has in every section reference for vegetarians too, and says that vegetarian diets (and even mentions vegan diets!) as being perfectly fine for pregnancy so long as you are watching what you eat.

I've found it pretty calming for the most part (except when I see every little food additive in the world listed as not very good, which limits you often to organic products, which isn't a bad thing, lol.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.