VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you all are not medical professionals but I do have a few questions that will fall outside of that area a bit.

Background: I became a vegetarian about 7 years ago, I was doing great for over 5 years, I then went through a divorce and life changed up and down and it was a bit hard to keep up the lifestyle as I was living with people and they were paying for the food. I met my new hubby and going from cooking for a family (my kids stayed with their dad) I found it harder to just cook for me and my hubby two separate meals and so about a year and a half ago I began introducing meat back into my diet. It was shortly after that I had a medical exam and was told that my thyroid was messed up and I was very low on vitamin D. (the vitamin D made sense as I went from living down south to up north and I don't like the cold so I was never outside) the thyroid thing well everyone in the family seems to have a problem with theirs so why not me.

Anyways I started on the generic version and didn't do well, so they upped it, and still I was doing bad so they switched me to the brand name meds. that didn't help, I have had test and test done and doctors could not figure out why my health kept going downward and why I always passed out. Well, I lost my job because of the health issues and I lost my health insurance and couldn't afford to take the meds. and guess what since then not one episode of passing out, it was happening at least once a week - and now nothing for over 2 months.

I won't go back on the meds and I am changing my diet back. It wasn't broke so I don't know why I "fixed it" by adding meat. So as I eliminate meat again I am also concerned about certain veggies.

I have heard that certain veggies and nuts can have negative affects on the thyroid- does anyone have a list, or suggestions as what to eat or avoid?

Thanks Bunches.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Is there any way you can consult with a dietitian. My mom has some thyroid issues, but she is an omnivore, so I'm not sure how much help her diet would be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty much done with those in the medical field right now. After all the test and the nightmares I went through, I am really trying to do this on my own. I know the first thing they will say is get back on the meds. Not happening!

I heard somethings about broccoli not being good and a few others... just wanting to see if others have heard that too

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Hypothyroidism doesn't fix itself, and left untreated, can have some very sever consequenses that you don't want to play around with, like: {The long-term effects of untreated hypothyroidism can be profound. Severe, prolonged hypothyroidism can lead to multiple abnormalities within any system of the body including heart, brain, and skin. Untreated hypothyroidism can cause heart disease, osteoporosis or thinning of the bones, and infertility in women.

If left untreated for many years, severe hypothyroidism can eventually lead to death. The findings of a recent study have shown that pregnant women with hypothyroidism have 4 times the risk of miscarriage in the second trimester compared to other women. If hypothyroidism in pregnancy is not treated appropriately, it can lead to mental retardation in the child. }http://uimc.discoveryhospital.com/main.php?id=1571
OR: in relation to your hypotension:
As hypothyroidism progresses, symptoms become worse and more frequent. As the body struggles to adjust to the lower levels of thyroid hormones, additional symptoms and conditions begin to develop. The thyroid hormone plays a large role in the heart's rate and output, as it helps with blood flow by relaxing blood vessel's smooth muscles which ensures that blood flows easily. The heart rate can slow to below normal levels, as it is not able to pump as efficiently. Blood vessel walls become stiff, and blood pressure rises. Hypertension is a significant risk of untreated hypothyroidism

Read more: Effects of Untreated Hypothyroidism | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5375239_ef...#ixzz1PVK9p0VV

You really need to get back under medical care ASAP, discuss your issues you've had in the past, and try to start fresh with a new provider....it's only going to get worse, not better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts