VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yep i'm hypo and on meds but as the dosage is still relatively low i'm hoping to one day soon get off them and control my levels with diet and homeopathy or something

actually my health food store gave me this chart of RDA's of vitamins and minerals for women and it explains what each nutrient does in the body, some of them said thyroid function. hang on i'll go get it *runs off*

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
thyroid activity: beta carotene (provitamin A), manganese

thyroid function: D3 (not vegan)

and iodine is listed as 'critical for thyroid hormone'

(don't ask what the difference is between thyroid activity and thyroid function, i don't know why they say it that way)

manganese is found in whole grains, nuts and green leafy veggies, beta carotene in dark green, red and deep yellow-orange veggies (bell peppers and carrots are high in it)

though comparing other things on this chart, i'd say evening primrose oil might have some effect, i want to look into it, because it says it balances hormones, aids digestion, skin hair and nails and other stuff, which are all things affected by a thyroid condition.

um also i was reading something the other day in this free magazine called New Directions. it says:

"certain vegetables inhibit the manufacturing of thyroid hormones such as kale, cabbage, cauliflower, peaches, pears, spinach and turnips. Such foods may help to slow a hyperactive thyroid and worsen an already underactive thyroid. Fluoride in water and toothpaste has been linked to thyroid disorders...

Supplements that are helpful in treating thyroid disorders are sea vegetables that contain iodine, the amino acid tyrosine, thyroid glandular extracts, vitamin A, E and Zinc. All of which help to give the thyroid nourishment to enable the utilization of hormones."

some homeopathic medicines listed in the article:

Iodum - for hyperthyroidism

Thyroidinum - helpful with thyroid disorders associated with obesity

Natrum Mur - "is useful for people who are emaciated despite having a good appetite. They feel cold and look pale. They tend to be irritable, depressed, and seek solitude. They typically crave salt and dislike bread." (hey sounds like me, except the bread thing i love bread)

Cacarea Carb - for heavy set people who tire easily from slight exertion

it says to use these in a 12CH to 30CH potency. but you should ask a homeopath or doctor before taking anything, especially if you're already on medication for it. i think some of it is meant to be taken as complimentary to traditional medicine, not to replace it.

the article lists this url also which might be worth checking out:

www.geocities.com/thehomeopath

personally i'm very interested in finding a way to treat this thing naturally, so if anyone finds any other info about it please share
hope some of this was helpful

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sorry to triple post but i had to add: Christa if your gyno said your levels are "a little high" that could explain why you don't fit the symptoms, or maybe your metabolism is doing a good job of making up for the extra thyroxin, BUT you definately should take her advice and see the endo., it's really something that can be dangerous if left untreated, but is very easy to treat if you catch it. i went for years not knowing i had a condition, i slept like 12 hours a day, was always tired, always cold, never had any energy, and yeah depressed. i think the depression comes with the lack of energy and other things.

but when my family doc finally caught it and sent me to see an endo. it turned out i have a frickin goitre and never noticed. goitre is when your thyroid is enlarged from struggling too hard to do it's job, and you have this nasty lump in the middle of your throat, looks like an adams apple. i've heard they can get quite large if left untreated. not pretty. anyway it makes for difficulty swallowing sometimes and i could never wear high collared shirts or choker necklaces, i always felt like i was being strangled.

so yeah get checked out, you want to take control of it before you wake up one day and realize you really are sick. i figure if i could have found out about mine years earlier and done something about it sooner, my whole adolescence would have been a lot more enjoyable. my doc said they don't normally test or treat people under 18 because it's normally not something that appears until adulthood, that's a load of garbage as i've known of many cases that were discovered by age 16 or younger. mine for one

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
no prob. let us know what the endocrinologist says. he/she will likely suggest medication right away, but try asking their opinion on treating it through diet or homeopathy, i'd be interested to hear what they have to say about it

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
that's good news, glad to hear it

i ran out of my pills like a month ago and feel like dirt. i finally got a doctor's appointment this wednesday morning. i'm going to ask about possible natural methods, i will post when i get back and let you all know what i find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts