VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I know all about thyroid problems. I believe I have one because I have basically all the symptoms, but I don't like the doctors so last week I took a at home test that has been aproved by the FDA and it is through BIOtech and it is supposed to be very good and highly recommended. I havn't gotten the results back yet but once I do I will decide then what I am going to do. Anyway, like I said I know quite a bit about it because i have done a lot of reseach on it. There are two conditions hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, hyper produces too much and hypo not enough. If you ahve been loosing weight its hyper like you said. Hyper also causes very light and even missed periods, while hypo usually causes heavy periods. I don't think that the condition can be improved with diet, but I am not 100% certain. Thyroid problems is your thyroid producing too much thyroid hormone and there are things that you can do to reduce symptoms, though they arnt a cure. THese include reducing stress, avoid caffine and other stimulants, and stop smoking (if you do). As for treatments there are a few. For hypo the only thing is taking thyroid hormone meds. For hyper, which is your case there are three options. The first is taking anit-thyroid meds. THe second is taking radioactive iodine (pill form I belive) and the only time you can't take it is if you are pregnant or breast feeding I belive. It is the most common form now, however it usually leads to hypothyroidism. The third is surgery, although it is not very common. In the surgery they remove part of your thyroid gland, but this too sometimes causes hypothyroidism because too much of the gland can be removed. Here are two links, the first to hyper the second to hypo. They are very informative sites. I hope I have helped.

http://content.health.msn.com/conten...wise/145/35997

http://content.health.msn.com/conten...wise/143/35486

·
Registered
178 Posts
i think that I have apathetic hyperthyroidism, which can cause depression feelings and isn't necesarily associated to weight loss, but sometimes gain, and I have definetly not lost any weight. I have the rest of the symptoms though, and my period has actually stopped, which is kinda scarey. I will almost definetly be going to the doc, i just want to get the tests back first, and if it says that my thyroid levels are high then I will be going to the doc next week. If I go I will tell you what it was like. And since you got tested and your levels are high it probably isn't a bad idea to go see a doc, but it doesn't seem like that is the problem since there are no other problems and your weight loss was purposeful. Maybe there is another reason for your irregular periods.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts