VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night, very late at night, my husband and i were up talking and enjoying some wine, and we got hungry.

we are very poor these days, due to unforseen strata fees on our townhouse (emergency roof repairs), and so have no money for "extras" like snack foods. we scrounged around in our kitchen to see what we could make. as you may or may not know, we have a soymilk maker and we just happened to have some beans all soaked and ready to go, and we have the coagulant needed, and the press, to make tofu out of the fresh soymilk. so we set up the machine and put everything in and started it up so we could try making our first ever batch of homemade tofu. we also steamed some rice to go with it.

when the milk was finished, we sprinkled the coagulant into it and let it stand for 15 minutes. then we lined the tofu press with cheesecloth and poured the seperated milk it, and started to compress. in less than 5 minutes we had created a marvel! our own little block of fresh, hot, homemade tofu!

we split it up evenly and put it over our hot steamed rice and sprinkled it all liberally with soy sauce and ate it up.

THIS WAS BY FAR THE BEST TOFU I HAVE EVER EATEN!

i had no idea that tofu could taste so fresh, and have such a pleasingly delicate texture. i feel like i've been cheating myself all these years of being veg*n by buying that fetid, old, smelly stuff they sell in the grocery store. i am so happy we finally tried this. now we have like three jars of beans soaking so that we can make a whole bunch more tofu tonight.

i highly reccommend you all try making your own tofu, too. i have never tasted anything like it in my life.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I'm going to do it! Last night I saw the recipe in Veggie Life, now your rave reviews.... if your homemade fu makes the store stuff seem "fetid, old and smelly" by comparison, then I'm sold on the idea of making my own!

Fresh homemade fu!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you let me know how it goes, borealis. do you have a soy milk maker, or are you doing it the old fashioned way with pots and colanders and food processors and cheesecloths?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I don't have a soy milk maker. I s'pose I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. I don't even have a food processor (except the world's bittiest one) so I'll have to use the blender.

But I'm still excited about it!

rabid child -- I haven't made seitan, but a couple of my friends have, and they said it was really easy -- just time-consuming, because you have to keep rinsing the gluten. They said it tastes a lot better than store seitan, too. Which makes sense...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, i've made seitan, both the "hard" way (taking whole wheat flour and working it by rinsing it like crazy for what seems like hours) and the "easy" way, by purchasing vital gluten flour and just mixing it up with water and spices and then pounding it out into steaks to be boiled in a yummy broth. i've never had storebought seitan, but i have had it in chinese restaurants and it tastes the same, or better, than my homemade stuff.

tofu is simple. you take hot soy milk and stir in some coagulant (we used nigiri). you let it sit for 15 minutes and then pour the resultant curds and whey into the tofu press. all the whey will drain off and the press with compress all the curds together into a solid mass. when it's pressed as firm as you like, take it out and use it as you like!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Homemade seitan is easy and fun! Definitely use vital wheat gluten, since washing the flour is tedious and messy. If you can, buy gluten in the bulk section, since the boxes are SO much more expensive. Bryanna Clark Grogan has by far the best seitan recipes I've had. I'm hooked on her "chicken" and quick "pork" seitans. You need a breadmachine (or standmixer, like a Kitchenaid) and crockpot for best results, but she has seitan recipes that don't require either of those. Go to www.vegsource.com/talk/beginner and request her seitan file.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts