VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been dieting pretty hard core for about four months now. I'm down thirty pounds from my heaviest weight (over a year or so of casual dieting as well). I still have about 50-70 pounds to lose. Yes, that's a big range. I'm wanting to lose the 50 then decide if that's enough, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people talk about cheating on diets, one or even two days a week. And of course I don't mean eating meat on those days just in case anyone misunderstands, that isn't a "diet" for me, it's a lifestyle.

In one way this strategy makes sense. One day of not having to obsess over every little bite, counting every single calorie, and their arguments that it helps "trick" your metabolism, because if you constantly restrict your body will try to "hang on" or go into starvation mode or whatever, also makes sense.

But on the other hand, it seems illogical. Calories in minus calories out equals weight loss or gain. It's a scientific formula. I do occasional cheat days, usually if there's a special event or date and I don't think it hampers my efforts too much but I'm wondering if there truly is an advantage to doing weekly cheating.

Any thoughts or knowledge on the subject would be very much appreciated!

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Two days a week :x
I'd say don't cheat at all, or maybe once a month.
You made such great progress, the last thing you need is for two cheat days to snowball.

If you really feel like you'd like to implement a cheat day, I'd say at the end of each month as a pat on the back for a 30 day push.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I'd look into a more sustainable diet plan, that allowed for delicious foods (like fruit and vegetables, yummy smoothies, mmm). What are you looking to "cheat" with?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't actually planning two cheat days, actually wasn't even planning one. Just a passing thought.

Right now I eat plenty of variety, mostly veggies and cereals, fruits, beans, trying to stay low on processed foods but for convenience at times I use those. And i love smoothies, that's usually breakfast I make it the night before, chill & drink on the way into work. This has been my summer of spinach for sure. I use it in tons of dishes. I'm a carb freak though, I could live on pasta, bread and potatoes.

My current plan is basic calorie counting. I keep it between 1200-1500 a day. I am trying to cut back (and hope to eventually cut out) cheese as well. Obviously no meat, and no eggs or milk either (unless it's in something & I don't realize it. That's been a hard learning curve for me.)

As far as to what I wanted to cheat with, really hadn't given particulars a thought. Just thinking more along the lines of just eating what I wanted and not counting calories on those days. Like going out to my favorite restaurant & not worrying about it. Or eating dessert or more likely extra pasta. Lol.

Edited to add ... The once a month advice is something I hadn't thought of, thanks!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I think consistent exercise will be more important in the long run than one day of 2,000 (as opposed to 1,500) calories.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Sorry about writing it as if you meant two days, I know you didn't. Was just emphasizing how absurd I thought two days was, from whatever sources you used.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Sorry about writing it as if you meant two days, I know you didn't. Was just emphasizing how absurd I thought two days was, from whatever sources you used.
Oh, no problem! Just making sure. And yeah, no real sources just random unwanted advice from people mostly. Lol.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

Two days a week :x
I'd say don't cheat at all, or maybe once a month.
You made such great progress, the last thing you need is for two cheat days to snowball.

If you really feel like you'd like to implement a cheat day, I'd say at the end of each month as a pat on the back for a 30 day push.
I'm with Kris....don't cheat! it's too easy for a few bites to turn into a bad episode! While I was losing weight, I don't think I cheated much at all...I was on a mission, and bad diet choices weren't part of it. It's much easier to stay the course too, when you stay with clean eating. When you re-introduce fat/salt/refined sugar, then you are setting up all of the old bad habits, and addictions back into motion again. It isn't worth it! When you don't consume any of the bad foods, like cheese, or refined sugars/sweets, your body becomes used to enjoying the sweet taste of fruit. Go out and buy a new CD, get a manicure or whatever, but don't reward your positive healthy work with bad, negative foods! think about how that really sounds anyway...."I'm doing so well eating and losing weight, that now I'm going to sabotage all of my good work". It's way too easy for small amts of fat laden foods to end up being many hundreds of calories or more, if it's a meal....then how long will you have to work it off to get rid of it?

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you feel like you have to cheat, then you are dieting for the wrong reasons. In order to be truly healthy you have avoid counting calories and obsessing over every scrap of food you put in your mouth. Eating nutritious foods will bring you to a healthy weight and in return make you healthy. Losing weight alone does not translate to being healthy. Health is a culmination of factors and not just your weight on the scale.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Hmm, once a week could be acceptable, as long as the the calorie result of the week still is negative.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Personally, I don't like the word 'cheat'. A sustainable diet should allow you to enjoy your favorite foods on occasion without feeling guilty about it.

Excluding meat, of course.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreapplesaday View Post

If you feel like you have to cheat, then you are dieting for the wrong reasons. In order to be truly healthy you have avoid counting calories and obsessing over every scrap of food you put in your mouth. Eating nutritious foods will bring you to a healthy weight and in return make you healthy. Losing weight alone does not translate to being healthy. Health is a culmination of factors and not just your weight on the scale.
That is very true. But after eating healthy for quite a while, I still hadn't really lost any substantial weight. I found that for me to really get the pounds off I have to obsess over calories in and calories out. So maybe I do have the wrong reasons because being healthy (my blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc are all great) but still chunky isn't working for me. I wanna be thin again. And I'm finally getting there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To reach a healthy state, you cannot just eat healthily for a while. You have to eat healthily everyday. There are too many misconceptions out there about what is healthy. Maybe you are avoiding these, (most people do not) but things that say they contain no fat, high protein, low sodium, zero or 100 calories, or anything companies can put on their labels, does not make them necessarily healthy. To avoid most of these, you have to avoid all processed foods and just rely on real natural foods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreapplesaday View Post

To reach a healthy state, you cannot just eat healthily for a while. You have to eat healthily everyday. There are too many misconceptions out there about what is healthy. Maybe you are avoiding these, (most people do not) but things that say they contain no fat, high protein, low sodium, zero or 100 calories, or anything companies can put on their labels, does not make them necessarily healthy. To avoid most of these, you have to avoid all processed foods and just rely on real natural foods.
You seem to making assumptions about my diet and lifestyle that just aren't correct. As I stated earlier, part of my reduction has been eliminating processed foods. I am not ignorant enough to believe that going on a diet means switching to eating unhealthy snacks simply because they are labeled as "100 calories."

My question had more to do with if having certain days in which I tend consume more calories would hinder or help my weight loss, as there were people telling me that having days with extra calories would "trick" the metabolism. I never said I believed that either, I was just asking for opinions. And I certainly never said that I only intended to eat healthy food for only a brief period of time. My intention was not to have days in which I could drink soda and eat ice cream in limitless quanities without guilt. Perhaps calling it a "cheat" day wasn't the best way to term what I was implying. I simply meant a day in which I didn't count calories.

Perhaps I'm overreacting, but you seem to be talking to me as if I'm a child and I don't appreciate your implications. I am very knowledgeable in what consistutes healthy eating.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey2 View Post

I wasn't actually planning two cheat days, actually wasn't even planning one. Just a passing thought.

Right now I eat plenty of variety, mostly veggies and cereals, fruits, beans, trying to stay low on processed foods but for convenience at times I use those. And i love smoothies, that's usually breakfast I make it the night before, chill & drink on the way into work. This has been my summer of spinach for sure. I use it in tons of dishes. I'm a carb freak though, I could live on pasta, bread and potatoes.

My current plan is basic calorie counting. I keep it between 1200-1500 a day. I am trying to cut back (and hope to eventually cut out) cheese as well. Obviously no meat, and no eggs or milk either (unless it's in something & I don't realize it. That's been a hard learning curve for me.)

As far as to what I wanted to cheat with, really hadn't given particulars a thought. Just thinking more along the lines of just eating what I wanted and not counting calories on those days. Like going out to my favorite restaurant & not worrying about it. Or eating dessert or more likely extra pasta. Lol.

Edited to add ... The once a month advice is something I hadn't thought of, thanks!
You stated that you avoid processed foods but not all the time and that your limitations for cheat days were going to be limitless? I was just going off of what you provided me. Sorry if I offended you any way, just trying to provide some helpful feedback.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Bailey, I don't think apples really tried implying you didn't know what you were talking about, but like he/she said (Apples, are you male or female!?, I don't know how to refer to you!), but like said, so many people are under the wrong impression of what healthy is, that it's easy to start with those assumptions, of getting the known bad stuff out of it.

Now that we know you really don't eat that type of food, maybe we can give you specifics....like I said on page one..."I" believe, having days where you consume more negative calories in the form of fat/cholesterol, sugar, etc is going to set you backwards. When you are on a strict whole food diet only, the desire to consume those foods fades, but when you reintroduce them, it stirs up the cravings....better to just stay on the straight and narrow path.

How about your sodium intake? any chance you're retaining fluids? any gluten sensitivity which might keep some bloating around your belly?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did say that I eat some pocessed foods, I also said that I understood those were not good choices. You implied that I didn't know what the term meant.

I said I was considering a cheat day in which I didn't count calories. Limitless is an odd way of twisting my words, as if I planned on going out and eating 2,000 extra calories, I said having dessert would be cheating.

I've read your other posts and I believe that I will stop conversing with you now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Bailey, I don't think apples really tried implying you didn't know what you were talking about, but like he/she said (Apples, are you male or female!?, I don't know how to refer to you!), but like said, so many people are under the wrong impression of what healthy is, that it's easy to start with those assumptions, of getting the known bad stuff out of it.

Now that we know you really don't eat that type of food, maybe we can give you specifics....like I said on page one..."I" believe, having days where you consume more negative calories in the form of fat/cholesterol, sugar, etc is going to set you backwards. When you are on a strict whole food diet only, the desire to consume those foods fades, but when you reintroduce them, it stirs up the cravings....better to just stay on the straight and narrow path.

How about your sodium intake? any chance you're retaining fluids? any gluten sensitivity which might keep some bloating around your belly?
What I'm doing now seems to be working. I just have to be very aware of what I'm eating, my issue seemed to be a lot of overeating foods that were healthy. And yes, I did like your advice about why a cheat day isn't a good idea. I have noticed that on days when I let myself eat something that I typically avoid, like over the weekend when I had chocolate, that it stirs up more cravings for days afterwards. It's much easier to just stay on the bandwagon.

I find exercise helps me with that as well. I find I have no desire to have a large meal after I've been for a run. The thought of messing up the work I've done is enough to keep me from cheating. But I don't believe I'll ever be able to always be perfect in my food choices and don't want to set that as an unrealistic goal for myself.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I understand that....but just let those little bits of food consume very little calories, then it won't seem so regimented....the exercise is a great addition to eating healthily.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts