VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Europe and hopefully South America...

Any of you guys done it before?

Im saving up around 10,000 Dollars....American!
YOU THINk thatll be enough?

Im real excited....
lets chat about it!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I go backpacking frequently, in two weeks I'm backpacking Zion National Park, when I graduated high school I did Austria and France. I don't think I've ever spent more than $300 after equipment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow...!!!
How easy was it meeting your daily requirement of nutrients
and eating vegan?

Wow a fellow backpacker..well I cant cal my self a backpacker...yet

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
10 000 bucks backpacking ? You're going to live this way for the rest of your life ????

I have spent a looooooooot of time of my life backpacking in europe. You don't need so much, c'mon ! It's enough for a confortable packpaking with bus and train !

Remember that you don't have to pay a rent, and that everything is cheaper in eastern europe and south america.

K, so, first, it's better to have a big backpack and have everything inside, rather than a smaller one with things outside.
( the love of my life is a deuter paragon 75 liters, an absolute hero, but can be overkill according to what you do, it's perfect for me with it's height and confort )
Never, never forget a towel ( a special one wich dries quickly), toilet paper, plastic bags, they are always useful. Forget big knives, they will most likely be confiscated.
Don't have too much money on you, expect to be robbed ( part of the adventure, don't be afraid ). Be ready in case you have lost your money and your credit card. Always have a little something hidden in your socks or a friend.
For the same reasons, have a copy of your passport and any papers, keep it like one copy in your backpack and one in your trouser or socks, do not hesitate to ask the robbers to keep those papers with you if they found them.
Prefer hitchhiking to bus and train, it's much more cheap and much more fun if you have time to loose on waiting for a car.
Do you already have a few contacts in europe ? It's not a bad thing, just in case, there is no obligation too sleep in their houses.
Always have a minimum health stuff, like some bandage, desinfection, and a little minimum medicine, especially against weather and intoxication and cuts.
The absolute maximum is 30 kilos for your backpack, more and you will kill yourself walking with your backpack. The less the better, just have the minimum.
Protect your head with a hat, after a few days under a hard sun, you're gonna feel it's need. Some cream can be a good thing for some people.
Learn a minimum about the countries you go, in every country there is a few polite and not polite things to do and to avoid.
You can make in advance a paper with some basic sentences ( where are the toilets, i don't eat animals nor eggs nor mils -vegan/vegetarian- thank you, etc )
A light without battery can be a good thing, don't wait for the sun to go sleep in order to prepare yourself to sleep.
Have some energy bars & co in advance to last a few days, in the case you will be lost alone in some desertic moutains or forest and so sick that you cannot move.
If you're a student you can buy some special card wich will give you cheaper prices on train and or buses in europe, some cards are only for a country, some for whole europe, some are made by the companies.
Eurolines is a bus company with good prices, not the best ones but the best ones can be a hassle to find.

for what about being vegan i find it very easy, cities have nice whatever you need, and you can contact some vegan or vegetarian local groups wich will probably give you a hand, whereas in the countryside you have all the fruits you want.

Don't sleep on trains leaving your backpack unnatended, people will not hesitate to steal from it, or even the whole backpack.

Despite what i'm saying don't be afraid, those are risks to be aware off, not an obligation. And it's worth to take those risks ( for me at least ).

This backpack is my absolute hero and friend. We made thousands of kilometers together, by plane, bus, car, hitchhiking, walking etc, this backpaack have seen more countires than i can count.

Have fun, backpacking is cooooooooool.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I go backpacking frequently, in two weeks I'm backpacking Zion National Park, when I graduated high school I did Austria and France. I don't think I've ever spent more than $300 after equipment.
This vegan is going backpacking with that vegan in two weeks!

We usually bring enough food for the whole trip, usually takes up about ten pounds, maybe more depending on the food, and ALWAYS enough water, Never never run the risk of having lower water. I would also suggest water cleansing tablets.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Haven't ever gone, too poor with rent and student loans. One day, hopefully. 10k sounds like more than enough, though, isn't it? Just eat local and cheap, stay in 8 Euro hostels and sleep with a knife. I have friends who have been robbed and raped while in Europe backpacking, so stay safe. Maybe mace as well, if it's legal.

I'm jealous and hope you have a great time!

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWolff View Post

This vegan is going backpacking with that vegan in two weeks!

We usually bring enough food for the whole trip, usually takes up about ten pounds, maybe more depending on the food, and ALWAYS enough water, Never never run the risk of having lower water. I would also suggest water cleansing tablets.
Damn, what are you guys 120 lbs? I eat 10 lbs a day LOL

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have no experience on backpacking whatsoever, but if you ever get to Denmark, send me a message and you'll be welcome in my home where I can provide with a nice couch, a vegan meal or two, coffee and company. :)
I do have one tip though. Check out this website: www.couchsurfers.org. Seems like a pretty good way to get to meet new people in other countries. And it's a free alternative to hostels/hotels. :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I avoid hotels, since you have to pay for them ^^ for me backpacking means having a tent, or sleep under the stars, not hotels. And going to some peoples homes for showers ^^

For what about sleeping with a knife... beware, first knives can bring you problems at frontiers or when police will check you if they see you wandering somewhere ( in some countries hitchhiking is illegal, and there are places where you are not supposed to have a tent ), so they can just take your knive, give you a fine, make you loose your time, and if you really are attacked, there is a golden rule with knives or any weapon wich is to know how tu use them. It's easy to disarm someone, and then your knive can be used against you, and there is always a risk that you are going to severely hurt someone. You don't want to become a muderer, do you ? Weapons are made to kill, don't expect some attacker to be scared, expect him rather to have a knife two times bigger and some friends. Your knife will most probably be more provocative than anything else.

A knife is useful for a lot of things when you travel, but i really don't recommend it for what you seem to call self defence and that i would rather call "let's kill each other".

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went through $10,000 when I backpacked through SE Asia and North America for 9 months way back in 2000, after airfares.

How long are you planning to go for? It's the best thing I've ever done in my life!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts