VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and bought a heap of quorns fake meat strip things cause they were on special and was just wondering how to make it myself to save me some money. I think those things will become a regular thing for me as I can use them in stir frys and indian type things like vegetarian butter chicken. same with meat crumbles. There must be a way to make cheap versions of these. Incase you cant tell im oh so poor :p and have no idea about cooking as has been previously stated in hreads.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I went out and bought a heap of quorns fake meat strip things cause they were on special and was just wondering how to make it myself to save me some money. I think those things will become a regular thing for me as I can use them in stir frys and indian type things like vegetarian butter chicken. same with meat crumbles. There must be a way to make cheap versions of these. Incase you cant tell im oh so poor :p and have no idea about cooking as has been previously stated in hreads.
You can get TVP for about 3 bucks at Coles or Woolies - which is pretty cheap- it would cost you that much to make it yourself.

Chicken and beef can be made from Seiten. Everyone on the net seems to like that stuff but I don't know any veg*n IRL that is into it much.
IMO this dude has the best method of making it (baked in oven) if you're interested.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would make seitan, which there are recipes for all over the internet, but it's basically a mix of water, vital wheat gluten, and seasonings. Though I haven't had much luck making my own yet, and usually end up buying store bought seitan. I really like mixing beans and vital wheat gluten and that's tastier to me then seitan is.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I love the recipe for Chickpea Cutlets in the vegan cookbook Veganomicon.
I've discovered that you really only need to use it as a base, and that you can use any bean in any amount, any amount of bread crumbs, and any amount of wheat gluten.

(I'm pming you...because of copyright issues)

In a nutshell, I highly recommend wheat gluten if you are gong to make fake meats. It gives the chewy, stringy texture you're used to in meats.

There's tons of recipes all over the internet.

Here's one recipe I've manipulated a bit so its now my own:

2 cups of cooked pinto beans
1/2 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
1/2 cup of oatmeal
1/4 or 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (depending on how much you like the stuff)
1/4 cup broth or water
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup or so of chopped cilantro or parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Put everything together in a big bowl, and mush the dickens out of it with your hands.
Mush-mush-mush
Add a little water if it seems too dry.
Mush-mush-mush
Form little patties with it, and fry them up in an oiled cast iron skillet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ditto for the making seitan! I've been playing around with it for weeks now and we love the results. I also freeze tofu, defrost and pull apart to resemble long strips or 'tenders' and go about dipping and breading and then baking or frying if I feel decadent. The freezing of tofu gives it a slightly different texture.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Here are some takes on seitan that use (mostly) more common ingredients than VWG: http://www.meatandeggfree.com/gluten-free-seitan.html

I call these faux faux meats. Cuz it sounds funny.

Old veg cookbooks (like 19th century old) used nuts to make vegetarian meats, but they tend to be REALLY rich and oily. Probably not too tasty for us modern folks
Check out my blog for links to vintage cookbooks if you wanna take a look.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I love the recipe for Chickpea Cutlets in the vegan cookbook Veganomicon.
I've discovered that you really only need to use it as a base, and that you can use any bean in any amount, any amount of bread crumbs, and any amount of wheat gluten.

(I'm pming you...because of copyright issues)

In a nutshell, I highly recommend wheat gluten if you are gong to make fake meats. It gives the chewy, stringy texture you're used to in meats.

There's tons of recipes all over the internet.

Here's one recipe I've manipulated a bit so its now my own:

2 cups of cooked pinto beans
1/2 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
1/2 cup of oatmeal
1/4 or 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten (depending on how much you like the stuff)
1/4 cup broth or water
1 small onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup or so of chopped cilantro or parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Put everything together in a big bowl, and mush the dickens out of it with your hands.
Mush-mush-mush
Add a little water if it seems too dry.
Mush-mush-mush
Form little patties with it, and fry them up in an oiled cast iron skillet.
It all makes sense now lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For a newbie, that is an excellent question, becuase I've been wondering the same thing. I just bought some Textured Vegetable Protein at my local coop in the bulk section. All I need now is a recipe!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I like pre-cooked TVP in place of chicken in chicken salad sandwiches.
It also works well in chili and sloppy joes.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I didn't care much for the seitan ribz from Susan's site, but I was still a fairly new veg person when I had made them....they look great on a grill though! this picture is of them either last yr or the yr before.

(Who said readers couldn't take magazine quality pictures? [for vegnews])

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I like the Chickpea cutlets, make loaves with everything from lentils and beans to Gimme Lean sausage, but never call them "fake meat".
It's a real peeve with me. It's like veg*ns have to compare food we eat to meat, which immediantly says our food is "inferior". When you look at comments people make against veg diets, that's like the number one call-out.
I'm not against patties, loaves, burgers, strips-just the idea that they're "fake meat". They are, in fact, proteins choices, and we don't need to compare them to animal flesh.
I realize we here don't think of animals as food, so why should compare plants to animals food?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts