VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you do with all of your leather shoes, jackets, purses, etc., once you became a vegetarian? Did/do you still wear them since the damage is done now or did you give them away?
Looking for input on this.
Thanks!

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
I kept some and freecycled some. I don't care if anyone yells hypocrite at me for wearing old or used leather, but I hate the smell of it so much anyway I wouldn't have it around.

Shoes are always my issue since I am a nurse, but nowadays it's easier to find vegan shoes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know some people still use them and others will give them away. I didn't really have a lot of leather to begin with but I will admit I still have a pair of leather shoes, they are steel cap work boots that will likely last me many years, they are important when working around the farm.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i was kind of wondering the same thing i just never got around to asking yet. i still have a down coat that i bought 2 years ago because everyone told me that they dont hurt the chickens and ducks to get the down. they told me that they just pick it up off the ground so i bought it. i know now how they get the down so i havnt really warn that coat for a while. i dont know how i feel about that because i bought that after i turned veg. if i throw it away though its just a i hate to say but a waste of those animals suffering.
now as for my shoes that have leather i do still use them but im not going to buy any more shoes with leather in them when im in the market again. ive had the shoes i have from before i was a veg so i do still wear them for now. its weird donating shoes idk if someone would wear my used ones

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I am twisted up about it really. I do not want to throw things away. I think there is too much in the landfills already. I understand the work issue. I did give away an almost brand new pair of leather dansko's to a dental hygienist I work with. I felt weird wearing them. It was the week after I decided to go vegetarian with vegan leanings. : ) I went out and bought a pair of vegan dansko's. However, I cannot afford to continue to do that. I have a major foot issue and that's one reason I'm trying to decide what to do. It was suggested to me to give everything away. That would be a great idea if I had the money to just replace everything, but reality is, I don't. I know I won't buy anymore leather goods, but for now I have a lot of leather shoes. I used to be quite a shoe snob and wouldn't buy them if they weren't leather. I guess that's also one reason for my "name" live & learn.
Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by live&learn View Post

Thanks for all of the input. I am twisted up about it really. I do not want to throw things away. I think there is too much in the landfills already. I understand the work issue. I did give away an almost brand new pair of leather dansko's to a dental hygienist I work with. I felt weird wearing them. It was the week after I decided to go vegetarian with vegan leanings. : ) I went out and bought a pair of vegan dansko's. However, I cannot afford to continue to do that. I have a major foot issue and that's one reason I'm trying to decide what to do. It was suggested to me to give everything away. That would be a great idea if I had the money to just replace everything, but reality is, I don't. I know I won't buy anymore leather goods, but for now I have a lot of leather shoes. I used to be quite a shoe snob and wouldn't buy them if they weren't leather. I guess that's also one reason for my "name" live & learn.
Thanks again everyone!
To me, although it's animal related, the animal isn't in any more suffering by you using that shoe etc. It's not recurrent like eating meat in that a new animal has to be killed to prepare that.

I'd say just keep using them. I avoid leather but I wouldn't throw anything away that I have.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
^^Agreed. I kept my leather stuff, and my wool and silk (just a couple scarves) when I went vegan. You mentioned landfills - if you decide to get rid of stuff that's still usable, don't trash it!! Give it away or sell it. Not only will it not go into a landfill, it will keep someone from buying a new thing that causes animal death.

If money is an issue, there's no reason to get rid of things. Continuing to use them will not do anything else to the cow; it's too late. But if you feel uncomfortable using them, that's fine, but it's not going to cause any more harm. Some people feel weird wearing leather because they think omnivores will judge them. "Aha! You're wearing leather! You LIE, you hypocrite!" But then you can turn it around. "I'm interested in the environmental impact of what I eat and consume. By buying new products to replace the old, not only would I not be doing any good to the cow that already died, but I'd be spending money on the production of something that uses more resources." There ya go.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I gave all my leather away a long time ago when I was still a vegetarian. It just didn't feel right to be telling people I had compassion for animals while wearing their skins on my back. Ugggh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by live&learn View Post

Thanks again everyone!
Do whatever feels right to you. It sounds like you don't want to throw them away, so you might want to just use them. If you absolutely do not want to wear them, and do not want to throw them out, maybe you can donate them. Goodwill or something? Someone would get a use out of them. But once again, whatever feels right to you.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeHumane View Post

Do whatever feels right to you. It sounds like you don't want to throw them away, so you might want to just use them. If you absolutely do not want to wear them, and do not want to throw them out, maybe you can donate them. Goodwill or something? Someone would get a use out of them. But once again, whatever feels right to you.
Freecycle.org !

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeHumane View Post

I've heard a lot about this Freecycle..sounds pretty cool!
It's great and lots of cities have it; I have given away a lot and received some cool stuff, too, through freecycle. No selling, just giving away stuff locally to those who want it. It keeps stuff out of the landfills.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

It's great and lots of cities have it; I have given away a lot and received some cool stuff, too, through freecycle. No selling, just giving away stuff locally to those who want it. It keeps stuff out of the landfills.
I might just need to try this out!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I had a problem with giving away a leather purse that I bought used and just loved! My cat peed on it. Problem solved.

I always check Ebay for vegan Earth shoes. I've gotten two pairs pretty cheap, one used, one new. They fit my duck shaped, high instep and arch feet, and are remarkable for standing!

·
Banned
437 Posts
I kept my leather. I stopped buying it, absolutely, but I don't see the point of getting rid of something perfectly good. If it's already been purchased, the damage is done, and getting rid of the item doesn't take money out of a company's hands. (Stuff was all too old to be returned.)

I own a leather jacket that belonged to my mother in the seventies. I also have one leather purse and a pair of leather boots. I'm not proud to wear it and I'll replace it with non-leather when the time comes, but I don't have a lot of money right now and I'm really opposed to unnecessary waste.

I also have some makeup from companies that test on animals. I bought it three years ago. I'm in the process of finishing it because I really don't see how chucking it helps anything.

I guess you could say I'm "phasing out" the possessions I already have with which I now feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a leather purse that I keep trying to give away. I typically don't spend money on those types of things, so I figure if I give it away, I'll have to! No such luck. My mom went out and bought a new purse (not leather, thank goodness) instead of having mine. It looks almost the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.