VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm on my way to Clinton, CT which is about an hour and forty five minutes from my house, hubby is driving. We're cruising along and my car is acting very sluggish whenever we hit the slightest incline. It had been acting up the last few months and I figured, I just got a car from a bad batch. It's a Honda Civic. My last one was awesome. But I digress. It starts blowing out white smoke from the tailpipe, but we make it to Clinton. On the way home, pretty much the same thing except the check engine light comes on. I drive it to work and it's obviously not that bad because it's running ok, just sluggish and the light is still on. I brought it to the dealer yesterday. (oh yeah, it's a lease).

I'm thinking, whatever is wrong with it has to be covered under the warranty. What should go wrong with a 2005 Civic with 15,000 miles on it.

I get a call later that day with 'I've got good news and bad news'. I knew the bad news was going to be that it wasn't covered under warranty but I was ready to argue.

Turns out, a critter decided to make a home in my air filter! It was a huge nest of leaves, twigs and acorns in the filter and somewhere else that I didn't really understand. They cleaned it out and I can't believe how great the car is running! It couldn't get any air through the filter so it was pulling air from the engine and burning oil. Now, how I do argue that it should be covered under warranty. I don't know of any warranty that covers for critters building nests! So $145 later, my car is fine. I just thought it was fitting that I'm always defending wildlife, so I guess I shouldn't mind that one decided to make it's home in my car!

·
Registered
318 Posts
The price kinda sucks, that's a pretty expensive oil and air filter change! (dealerships, what can ya do?) I'd say it was good news and good news though. The animal was not home when you were driving, and there was no engine damage from all that stressed-out driving. That would have been WAAAY more expensive.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm amazed because I don't really know how long I had been driving it like that...must have been at least a few months since that's how long I noticed the car not having much power. I can't believe that every time I turned the car on, the critter wasn't in there! That would have been very upsetting.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
The guys on "Car Talk" have animal stories like yours. It isn't really all that uncommon! Some furry friend just thought that your nice warm car was a great place to set up housekeeping. Perhaps it felt safe in a vegan's car!

·
Registered
847 Posts
A few years ago my dad had birds that tried to build a nest on his battery. The funny part is, they did this when he parked his car at work for several days, even though he drove it home at night. Animals do strange things (at least to our point of view).

·
Registered
854 Posts
Glad everything worked out and no critter was harmed.

My BF's neighbors let their cat roam outside, and it has a fondness for hanging around my BF's car, especially during the colder months. It even hopped IN his car one time when we were packing up for a camping trip. I've told my BF to make sure he honks the horn or something before starting up his car... I'm so afraid that cat will be under his hood one day.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

My sister had a cat that used to do the same thing. No happy ending there, I'm afraid, and I'll leave it at that.
My friend's cats are the same way. I back out of my parking space at half-a-mph because of my fear of hitting either of them. :S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.