VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only became a vegetrian 10 months ago. (and when I was 16 but only for a few months) My question is:

How do you make up for all the meat you have eaten before?

I know it sounds stupid, but I wish I would have started early, as a child. I wish I would have had the option to became a vegeterian at an early age.

I feel guilty about all the animals I have eaten!!!! They had to die because of me!

What do you think? How should I over come this!

This is really bothering me!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I occasionally feel guilty, too.

I think mostly that you have to realise that it's in the past, and that you can't change it now. You're doing what you can from now on.

A lot of people like to do activism, to try and make their contribution to animals a positive one rather than a neutral one. You could also make a donation to an animal charity or foster or adopt an animal in need of a home.

But not everyone has to do these things (I don't). The best thing you can do is to accept you made bad decisions in your past and try to make good decisions (veg*nism) in your future.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
isowish said it well, just focus on the future and don't dwell on the past. You are making a huge impact by going vegetarian, much larger than most people ever make. There's no way to change the past, so just think about all the animals you are saving for the future

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
The fact that you've come to this knowledge and stopped is enough. You can't bring something back to life which has been killed. You could wrap yourself in poison ivy and hang by your toes as punishment, but the creatures who died would still be dead.

If you believe in God, ask Him for forgiveness, and He will frogive you. Know that the animals that died are safe with Him.

And like the others have said, look forward. You really can't undo the past.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, girls! You are all right! It helps a little to put my mind at rest!

·
Registered
174 Posts
What is it that Orpah always says? You do what you know, and when you know better, you do better. The fact that you have stopped eating meat now that you know better is enough. Don't feel guilty about things you have no power to change, like the meat you ate in the past.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Do something positive to help animals to outweight the negative.
I like that attitude a lot. A destructive past can be great motivation for a productive future. Say to yourself, "For every life I've destroyed in the past I'm going to save 100." That'll keep you busy for a lifetime, in a good way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

Do something positive to help animals to outweight the negative.
I agree with this.

Go out in the world and do something for animals! Volunteer/work at a shelter or sanctuary, hand out leaflets to introduce others to veg*nism, etc... You may find activism very rewarding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangogirl View Post

My question is:

How do you make up for all the meat you have eaten before?

I feel guilty about all the animals I have eaten!!!! They had to die because of me!

What do you think? How should I over come this!

This is really bothering me!
Do you believe that you should treat all animals respectfully? Do you love animals? Would you intentionally hurt one? Would you hurt one as a form of punishment? Are human beings animals? Are you human?

Why punish yourself with guilt?

Change is the only constant. Everything changes constantly. You are something. Therefore, you change constantly. There is not a cell in your body that has not been replaced. You are a completely different person. You are not the person who ate those animals.

The person who used to claim to be you did. Forgive her and move on. She's worth it.

Angel

·
Registered
267 Posts
Set a good example to others, and save their share of the animals too. I ate meat for about 10 years, so I figure if I can persuade just one more person to go veg, then I have made up for my 10 years of animals. Its not necessarily about activism (not that theres anything wrong with that, but often you dont get quantifiable results that are down to you). If I can think of one person, and know that if it wasnt for me they would be eating meat right now, then I will have made up for my years of ignorance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just turned veg 10 months ago too. I'm 30 now. I thought the same thing as you. How do I give back? So, I ate meat for 30 years, in march, it will be 1 year since I turned veg, now I have 29 years left to give back. Once I am at 30 years (veg), I will feel "even". Know what I mean? That keeps me happy, knowing that I am "giving back", even though I can't undo what has already happened. I feel really good about my new choices, and you should too!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnybny91 View Post

What is it that Orpah always says? You do what you know, and when you know better, you do better. The fact that you have stopped eating meat now that you know better is enough. Don't feel guilty about things you have no power to change, like the meat you ate in the past.
Maya Angelou

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
> How do you make up for all the meat you have eaten before?

You don't. You feel good about making better choices now, and you move on.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelLargay View Post

The person who used to claim to be you did. Forgive her and move on. She's worth it.
I choose not to forgive the me who once contributed to the meat industry. Instead I resent him and acknowledge he is someone I vow never to be again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with everyone who said something along the lines of doing your part to help animals. There's so many ways to help animals, and so many ways you can positively influence others. My biggest piece of advice, I think, is simply don't back down about your beliefs. You don't believe in harming animals, and don't be afraid to let people know you're a vegetarian. Needless to say, it's never something to be ashamed of (obviously) and by letting people know you choose to live your life this way, and maybe even going so far as to discuss the why's and how's of it all with them, if they're truly interested, you could make the world far more animal-friendly. Good luck with any action you decide to take on it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts