VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my lunch break a couple of weeks ago, I received a text from a friend. The text said that there was a "smackdown" going on across the street from her apartment (she lives in a city about 2 hours from where I do). I asked her to be more specific, so she told me that she heard a man cussing and saying "you motherf***er" as well as one or possibly more dogs yelping.

Naturally, I asked her if she called the police. She said no. I asked why and she said that she didn't want to get in the middle of it. I kept insisting that she call the police (I gave her the number) saying that it's not much different than if a child were being abused. She made more excuses and then said that she told her landlord to check it out. I then compared her to Joe Paterno as she too was passing on the responsibility and "wiping her hands clean". Perhaps the most ironic thing about the situation is that she is a vegan and allegedly cares about animals. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
She's a coward. Evil prevails when good men and women do nothing. It would have been so easy to call the cops then. If you're not against violence and ignorance then you'd might as well perpetuate them yourself.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think this is a real issue in our country. You see more and more people turning the other way when it comes to any kind of wrong doing they come across. And you're right, it is sad.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
We had neighbors who had their dog in one of those torture collars that hurt them when they barked. So they could leave them outside alone all the time and not have to hear their compulsive, neurotic barking.

And we couldn't even call the cops, cause some abuse is allowed.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I'd be mad too, but keep in mind she is (as a vegan) still at least doing less to hurt animals than most people are. Sometimes people freeze up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

I'd be mad too, but keep in mind she is (as a vegan) still at least doing less to hurt animals than most people are. Sometimes people freeze up.
If I hadn't talked to her about it and she made this decision on her own, I may have been a bit more sympathetic (but maybe not). However, I was right there telling here that it was wrong and trying to lead her to a moral decision, yet she still still acted as she did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

Are there laws against swearing at and/or hitting your dog?
I'm not familiar with our state's laws on animal abuse. But, if this man was in any violation of the laws, he could've been held accountable. If he's physically abusing the dogs, he could be neglecting them too which could also put him in trouble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't assume that all vegans are "animal friendly." Not every vegan is. Some are in it for health, because it is the "cool" thing to do, hiding behind veganism to mask an eating disorder, etc.... I just cannot wrap my head around why someone would just turn a blind eye or deaf ear to a living being being hurt, vegan or not. It hurts my heart.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Being afraid of getting in the middle of it, I can understand. If this person is willing to be violent towards a helpless pet, then it's not hard to imagine they would turn on a human. I don't think I would do the same, but I get it. However, not calling the police as suggested? That would be so easy and requires very minimal risk. That's terrible.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

She's a coward. Evil prevails when good men and women do nothing. It would have been so easy to call the cops then. If you're not against violence and ignorance then you'd might as well perpetuate them yourself.
With the proviso that we have to be compassionate towards victims of fear ..

I sosososososoooooooooo agree!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
This is a sad story (and it REALLY made me rage)

Anger and rage are fear based too.

Both manifestations of 'flight or fight' syndrome.

The angry don't know they are frightened though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Green G, Did you call the cops then?
I tried to. She moved about a month before this happened, and when I said I would call the cops instead, she wouldn't tell me her new address which made me even more pissed off. However, I'm not sure the police would've been too interested in the statement of a person that didn't hear, see, or live near the house, but I wanted to try anyway.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I think animal abuse is cruel, but it's not certain that calling the police would have accomplished anything. You cannot even take it for granted that they'll come even if was a human that was kicked around.

In my own country you can call the food safety authority anonymously about such cases, and they are obliged to check it out. If they discover signs of abuse, a person could in extreme cases permanently loose the right to own animals.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

Don't get me wrong... I think animal abuse is cruel, but it's not certain that calling the police would have accomplished anything. You cannot even take it for granted that they'll come even if was a human that was kicked around.

In my own country you can call the food safety authority anonymously about such cases, and they are obliged to check it out. If they discover signs of abuse, a person could in extreme cases permanently loose the right to own animals.
Not doing anything is a good way to ensure nothing happens. She could have at least tried something. Even if nothing happened, at least she made an effort to help the animal. Which country do you live in?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Gentleman View Post

Not doing anything is a good way to ensure nothing happens. She could have at least tried something. Even if nothing happened, at least she made an effort to help the animal. Which country do you live in?
I'm not saying that she couldn't have done anything, but I'm not sure the cops would be the right department for such an issue.
Perhaps there are more cops in the US, but over here (Scandinavia) they generally won't spend their time on matters of minor importance. (Mind you, I'm not saying that animal abuse is a matter of minor importance.) Let's say there is a violent person going completely nuts at a party or something... Chances are that he'll be long gone by the time the cops show up. (If they come at all.)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Gentleman View Post

She moved about a month before this happened, ..... she wouldn't tell me her new address
Bit odd that she moved and didnt give you her address from the start. I cant imagine any of my friends moving and not telling where to for at least a month...but hey ho.

I can understand where shes coming from slightly. My friend (Andrew big guy can hold himself in a fight) reported his neighbour for cruelty to a pet(cat possibly) somehow the neighbour found out and threatened Drew and his mother...
That scared me because you never know what people are going to do...he could have had a knife or anything!
People who abuse animals are probably mentally unstable to start with...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangle View Post

I'm not saying that she couldn't have done anything, but I'm not sure the cops would be the right department for such an issue.
Perhaps there are more cops in the US, but over here (Scandinavia) they generally won't spend their time on matters of minor importance. (Mind you, I'm not saying that animal abuse is a matter of minor importance.) Let's say there is a violent person going completely nuts at a party or something... Chances are that he'll be long gone by the time the cops show up. (If they come at all.)
Yes, but the point is, she didn't do hardly anything, unless you count passing the buck to the landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Bit odd that she moved and didnt give you her address from the start. I cant imagine any of my friends moving and not telling where to for at least a month...but hey ho.
Honestly, she's not a very close friend. The most she ever told me about the location was that it was "right by campus" and the campus has about 30,000 students. If you're insinuating that I actually do know where the house is and just didn't do anything, I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

I can understand where shes coming from slightly. My friend (Andrew big guy can hold himself in a fight) reported his neighbour for cruelty to a pet(cat possibly) somehow the neighbour found out and threatened Drew and his mother...
That scared me because you never know what people are going to do...he could have had a knife or anything!
People who abuse animals are probably mentally unstable to start with...
I thought about this as well, and it is a concern. However (and I don't know if she lives near lots of other people or even if it's an apartment or a house) nothing is going to happen unless someone does something. Plus, I'm not sure if the guy would've known it was her, but like I said, I don't know how many other neighbors there are just that it happened across the street.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I wasnt actually. Sorry if it came over like that.
What I mean was, Its sounds to me like she was wanting to complain (ie say to someone with similar views on animals) about the abuse, but only get a 'oh wow thats terrible...arent people cruel' style responce.
Either that or wind you up...if someone I wasnt close with randomly rang me to tell me an animal was being abused...id be sure they were just winding me up...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts