VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I've long been considering taking up a new hobby, as to prevent myself from wasting so much time just doing idle things such as watching TV or surfing the web. As I have worked in a fabric store for nearly 4 years, I've considered taking up a textile art, most likely knitting.

I'm a vegan, and as such, I would be avoiding animal-based yarns, like wool, alpaca, silk, etc., and trying to use eco-friendly ones instead.

The trouble is that I've never knitted before. I'd mostly be learning through some local classes, and possibly online instructional videos.

So, do any experienced knitters here on VeggieBoards have any advice for a beginner?

·
Registered
922 Posts
The best and easiest way to learn to knit is by watching someone knit and who can explain the process. However, very few people know how to knit nowadays.

You could always invest in the following DVD and practise by making something easy like a scarf. You really cannot go wrong as long as you know when to stop knitting !

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Begin...6975986&sr=1-1

As for vegan options, you also have some new options besides acrylic ( not too good) and cotton on the following link :

The best alternative fibers, like Peruvian cotton, crinkly linen, handspun hemp, banana silk, and bamboo blends, as well as where you can find them. Quo Vadis, a shop on Etsy,

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! Yes, I think getting a DVD might help me to learn, seeing as I don't really know anybody who knits.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaVeg87 View Post

Thank you so much! Yes, I think getting a DVD might help me to learn, seeing as I don't really know anybody who knits.
What a shame that I'm not nearer as I could have taught you to knit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
knitting is great fun and you can make some pretty wonderful things with it. an old partner of mine taught me how to knit and i would end up knitting in my university lectures. I would knit scarfs, hats and many things.
I used to buy really cheap arcillic wool in a shop in Glasgow which was really handy.

The internet is a winderful resource for patterns (which are really easy to follow after a little learning ). Also friends and i used to hang out and knit whilst getting drunk, passing the needles round and trying to create weird shapes. we'd end up usually wiith a huge balls of weird intestine looking knitwork. vey abscract.
My mother was always good at knitting and would easily put out a blanket or a jumper in a few days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by araddishtoofar View Post

knitting is great fun and you can make some pretty wonderful things with it. an old partner of mine taught me how to knit and i would end up knitting in my university lectures. I would knit scarfs, hats and many things.
I used to buy really cheap arcillic wool in a shop in Glasgow which was really handy.

The internet is a winderful resource for patterns (which are really easy to follow after a little learning ). Also friends and i used to hang out and knit whilst getting drunk, passing the needles round and trying to create weird shapes. we'd end up usually wiith a huge balls of weird intestine looking knitwork. vey abscract.
My mother was always good at knitting and would easily put out a blanket or a jumper in a few days.
Chortle chortle! Shmuk shmuck!

I prefer to buy my knitwear. I had a go at knitting before but found it to be a bit too fiddly, and to be honest i just didn't have the patience. My hubby is great though. He even knitted me a pair of pants, with a lovely silk lining! Great and sexy for the winter!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I have been learning how to knit. My mom has been helping me but I have also learned a lot by watching videos online. Knittinghelp, mentioned earlier in the thread, has been very helpful. It also helps to have someone who can knit to help from time to time too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I crochet. Knitting looks too complicated for me. My one friend who can talk me into almost anything got me into crocheting. Nobody else probably could have.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaVeg87 View Post

Hello all! I've long been considering taking up a new hobby, as to prevent myself from wasting so much time just doing idle things such as watching TV or surfing the web. As I have worked in a fabric store for nearly 4 years, I've considered taking up a textile art, most likely knitting.

I'm a vegan, and as such, I would be avoiding animal-based yarns, like wool, alpaca, silk, etc., and trying to use eco-friendly ones instead.

The trouble is that I've never knitted before. I'd mostly be learning through some local classes, and possibly online instructional videos.

So, do any experienced knitters here on VeggieBoards have any advice for a beginner?
Yay knitting!

Get yourself onto Ravelry, it's a great community of crafters and a source for lots of advice and inspiring patterns (loads of which are free), forvall skill levels.

If you join up, drop me a line, I'm on there as Kittendumpling, and I'd love to help you out if I can

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Join Ravelry for sure. Lots of free patterns. You can research yarns and see what others have made from patterns you are interested in.

I've been knitting for years and will probably never make a garment. I make scarves and kitchen items.

Vegan yarns and eco friendly can be a challenge. Any yarn shop is usually filled with wool and silk. If just practicing, I'd look into a skein of cheap yarn. Start with just knitting some cotton squares to use in the kitchen.

Youtube is a great resource also. I learned most of my knitting skills from books.

Knitting or crocheting are both very relaxing. They can be a bit stressful also when you make mistakes though. I just finally learned to accept and like what I make.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts