VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancee and I are considering get a pet rat (maybe two?) Any tips for first time owners? I've read they're happiest in pairs?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Definitely get more than 1 (3 is not a crowd). They are intelligent social animals and NEED interaction. Best to buy two together because if you buy one and then another down the track you have to introduce them carefully because they are territorial. Boys are bigger and lazier. They are also more territorial. Girls are quite small and VERY active, so they need a lot of room to run climb etc. They are slightly cleaner than boys.

Please don't buy from a petshop. Most petshops have no understanding of rats and conditions can be quite appalling. A lot of rats in shops are feeder rats, and they may or may not have a good temperament. Rats bred especially for pets are bred with good temperament in mind. Find a rat club in your area, you may be able to rescue, otherwise rat clubs are best for finding GOOD breeders.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know! Rats are adorable, you won't regret if you go ahead!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Every thing shewolf said is really good advice. Also rats diets are very important. Make shure you get rat food not gerbil or mouse food because they are not suitable for rats. Also a vitamin supplement in their water helps a lot. They also eat most human food so you can treat them with part of your dinner as a treat every now and then.

They are very loving pet and you'll come to love your rattie companion. They are very good in same sex pairs, you don't want lots of baby rats running around. Also try to have a large living area with a solid ground.

Rats are great pets and hope if you do get a pet rat that they bring you much happiness.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help you guys! Unfortunately, we did just go to Petsmart and buy them, but, they were raised specifically to be pets. We've got their rat food, a good cage with a solid floor, wood toys, the whole nine yards. We got 2 males, and they're adorable! They're a little skiddish still (understandably,) but, doing well. Thanks for the link Mikie, I'll read over it this afternoon. Until then, anyone have any hints for getting my rats used to be (less skiddish)?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Just give them a little time to settle in. Let them get to know their new home then their new parents. Congrats!

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
My two older ones were never very skiddish, but it did take them quite some time to get used to being held. The more time you spend with them, they more they'll they want to spend with you.

My youngest, Charlie, from day 1, is the most skiddish thing in the world! It runs, hops (even vertically, just for fun), hides, and does EVERYTHING but sit still. It never stops!! From what some of the websites say (their links are in the other thread) it was slow down as it gets older. I personally, can't wait.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you're going to love your ratties! it took our boys awhile to be comfy with being handled...now they're really nice and mellow.

The girls that we had a few years ago were really active and very socialized.

It just takes time : )

I do suggest finding a vet and 24 hour animal hospital that cares for rats....just in case.

and I'm glad you got boys...because more often than not, if you buy girls from a pet store, there is a good chance that they're pregnant. Pet stores can be bad with seperating the sexes early enough. We found out the hard way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts