VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What foods were you surprised to learn weren't vegetarian?

I recently learned that Cheese Whiz contains Rennet (and even though there are vegetarian sources of Rennet, they don't specify which makes me leery)...this makes me so sad because I loved Cheese Whiz

Please share your experiences and any alternatives you know of! It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

refried beans (some have lard)
I learned this the hard way today. My lunch burrito was sad with no refried beans. It never ends well when I forget to read labels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

canned cream soups
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

frozen hash browns (some have lard)

flour tortillas (some have lard)
Jesus I didn't know about some of these! Especially creamed soups... I had tomato and cream soup the other day, but it did say it was suitable for vegetarians. Finding out Hash browns can contain lard makes me sad. I love a good hash-brown!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

how does anyone manage to cram gelatine into that?!

Soft drinks which use gelatine as a stabiliser. whod have even thought of that either o_O
i have no idea why there is gelatin in veggies. and what sodas have gelatin i never heard of that

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenstaufen View Post

Jesus I didn't know about some of these! Especially creamed soups... I had tomato and cream soup the other day, but it did say it was suitable for vegetarians. Finding out Hash browns can contain lard makes me sad. I love a good hash-brown!
i bought cream of broccoli once and than read the label and it had rennant in it. yuck

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
planters nuts and a flavor of Doriros they both contained beef flavor ect....

MUch PEace & MUch LOve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Their website just says "Is Oreo suitable for vegetarians?
Oreo is currently not suitable for vegetarians. However, our Research and Development team are trying out ways of making it veggie-friendly, and are optimistic that we could make an Oreo perfect for a vegetarian diet soon. Fingers crossed!"

I assume it's the whey powder in them (that would definitely make them not vegan, and I guess they use rennet derived whey
)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE {VITAMIN B1}, RIBOFLAVIN {VITAMIN B2}, FOLIC ACID), HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL AND/OR PALM OIL AND/OR CANOLA OIL, AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, LEAVENING (BAKING SODA AND/OR CALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

Those are the ingredients listed on the website? Is it the riboflavin? Because I thought you could get that from plant sources? (Sorry for such extensive oreo discussion its just theyre the only sweet treat that I can have anymore since turning lol I'll be sad to know its not vegan)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.