VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been vegan for 5 days now an I've still been able to eat lots of yummy foods so I'm not turning back. If anything, I'm more serious about it now. Which is why I wanted to ask....

When I go shopping I always check the specific ingredients in the stuff I am buying. But sometimes I'm a little lost in all the jargon. For example, before coming to this board I had no idea what gelatin was made from.

Are there any other tricky things (like gelatin) that you might read under "ingredients" that are actually animal products? I'd just like to make sure I'm getting it right...

·
Registered
155 Posts
http://www.vnv.org.au/FoodAdditives.htm Sadly there are a lot. I'm still getting used to looking out for stuff I've never heard of. Generally at the time I judge how much I need what it is I'm thinking of buying (this is when I can't identify an ingredient) and if I really need it I buy it and check it at home. Then I know for next time. Cochineal (or carmine) is a pretty popular one and you'll find it in most red and purple coloured things (it's made from crushed bugs), Vitamin D3 is made from lanolin, which comes from the oil that coats sheeps wool, hmmm there's a lot of things though that can be from either animal or vegetable source (see the list) and then you have to call the manufacturer to find out
Hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
26 Posts
The lists mentioned above are great resources.

A couple of quickies:

Lactic Acid can be from milk or soybeans, check with the company

Anything beginning with "Stear" like stearic acid, etc. comes from cows..

Mono- and diglycerides are usually animal-sourced unless explicitly labeled otherwise.

If you are taking vitamins with B12, make sure they are labeled vegetarian, otherwise they will be animal-sourced.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you have an ipod there is a very useful file somewhere out there that lists a ton of those ingredients and explains where they come from. Ack I wish I had the link! I used to bring my ipod shopping with me all the time until I got used to what brands/products were vegan =) Now i just go in and know exactly what to get without checking ingredients (unless it has "new" written on it somewhere lol)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.