VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thread is inspired from the thin vegans thread.

I just wanted to say-that very thin people are ridiculed JUST as much, if not MORE than overweight people.

I get ridicule CONSTANTLY. People bring up the topic of eating disorders around me, anorexia and the like. Then they will comment on how thin I am-completely embarressing me. Others laugh and talk about how sickly thin I am behind my back, which is really painful for me.

Then there are the people who abuse you to your face-its too sick to mention what people have said to me to my face.

thin does not always equal fame, you know.you are harrassed just as badly, in both extremes of weight. so i wish everyone would stop saying thin people have no worries with harrassment. One particualr person's unknowledgable comments in the other thread really offended me.

Oh and by the way-there are many significant health issues with being underweight-just as many as being overweight. Plus the fact that you may not even be fertile and have an increased risk of bone density loss, osteoperosis and heart problems. The stress of being underweight can even cause failure of the bodily organs/systems.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Good points. People should mind their own business. I have been on both sides of the weight issue, as rail-thin (in my teens) & as carrying some extra pounds (now). When people made the thin comments I didn't take it as badly, I was just glad I wasn't fat. Although it sounds like you have it much worse, people didn't accuse me of being anorexic or anything. People are much more likely to point out that you're thin, than overweight. They don't see an insult in saying "oh you're such a stick", y'know? they might be jealous because they're either packing some extra weight or it's a struggle for them to maintain the weight they're at. I know as someone who could stand to lose weight, I miss being a rail and would rather be fighting to put on the pounds than to lose them. It's funny how people will say "veg*ns are thin & unhealthy" but then if they meet someone who is overweight instead, same deal.. I've been told "you shouldn't talk, you're not the picture of health". Sigh.. I don't think you can win any respect from omni's (in regards to promoting veg*nism as healthy) unless you're not only your ideal body weight, you're fit and tan (as if that's healthy) also.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I guess saying "Eat a damn sandwich" to a stick-thin friend is out of line, then? I know, I regret saying it now. But making a spectacle of or commenting on any body feature (or flaw) is insensitive. Just like those idiot jocks in high school who thought it was insanely hilarious to call me "Casper" in the hall. (But I'm not bitter!
)

(Oh, I'm a right weight person.)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have definetly been on both sides of the issue, i was fat and then thin, I personally think that the issues of being fat were worse for me..no one refers to me as that thin guy..when i was fat..if someone pointed me out in a room to a jock for instance..they would saying things such as "that fatass guy over there?" (insert disgusted tone)

that being said i feel ya though, what i find even worse is that once i lost the weight....the people who werent criticizing me before began to criticize me!!! agh!!! you just cant win with some people ..i think it just takes time to become satisfied with your body so that people cant hurt you.. if you know you like it and you feel that you are healthy , you just gotta say screw em and hold your head up high

another point that i would like to make is that sometimes they are simply jealous, i know when i was heavy i made a few unfair comments (and some fair ones too heehee) about some thin people because i felt bad about myself

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
similarly, while i was loosing weight (i lost 50 lbs over a time while in law school), people kept telling me that i'd "lost enough" even though i was *extremely* healthy (continually eating healthy, exercising, etc). My body was heading toward it's "natural" weight and ultimately it stopped and leveled off on it's own.

but those last 10 lbs or so, everyone kept saying ' You've lost enough' and that i was getting sickly. The thing was, they weren't loosing *any* of the weight that they wanted to--so it was mostly jealousy i think. Also, pure ignorance. But really annoying. None of their business.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I lost about 8 lbs. of "meat weight" when I switched my diet to veg*n. I'm kinda petite so 8 lbs. is a big deal. I am SOO TIRED of people saying 'you're too thin' 'you need to eat some meat' 'ok, you can stop losing weight now'

Not like I walk around telling the people I've seen gain weight 'ok, you can stop gaining weight now' 'or go ahead, eat that bag of chips, you've got room for more'

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dawngirl

I lost about 8 lbs. of "meat weight" when I switched my diet to veg*n. I'm kinda petite so 8 lbs. is a big deal. I am SOO TIRED of people saying 'you're too thin' 'you need to eat some meat' 'ok, you can stop losing weight now'

Not like I walk around telling the people I've seen gain weight 'ok, you can stop gaining weight now' 'or go ahead, eat that bag of chips, you've got room for more'
I'm petite, too - 5'2". I lost about 5 lbs during the first year (I think). I've leveled off to between 115 and 120. Some of it's muscle, as I'm addicted to lifting weights now.

Some people assumed I went veg to lose weight (though I was not visibly overweight), and told me to be careful, they were worried, etc. Seeing me looking healthy now and maintaining a healthy weight has quelled their fears, I hope. (I could say 'stop gaining weight, now' to the person most vocal in her observations of my diet, though that wouldn't be very nice.)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Maybe I'm being ignorant- but I'd rather be too thin than too fat. I thoroughly enjoy when others notice that I've lost weight and I fondly remember the day that my referred to me as 'bones and eyeballs' and asked me to stop losing weight.

I've since gotten back to a 'healthy' weight (5'7" 125lbs) and I really dislike the looks that I get from people when they see the weight that I've gained. I feel disgusting... but I guess that's just me.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxi

I just wanted to say-that very thin people are ridiculed JUST as much, if not MORE than overweight people.

i don't recall anyone saying that very thin people don't face harrassment or discrimination in that thread.

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
my students make fun of me because they think i'm on a diet... i don't mind being skinny, but i hate when people think i'm a dieter. i eat ice cream and cake with cool whip stuff every day, damn it! being skinny does not mean you're on a diet! and if you see a skinny person eating an apple, that does not mean thei're on a diet either, maybe they just happen to like apples! okay?? okay.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My husband has always been thin, and since quitting meat, he's lost even more weight. So many people in my family say "why doesn't he eat some fat, he's so thin!" SURE, go out and eat a dozen donuts to "get some fat". YEAH RIGHT!!

People have different metabolizms than others. I tend to look down on fat people when I see them eating a Whopper and Super Size fries and a bucket of Coke, knowing they could be thinner and healthier if they wouldn't eat that garbage, but people that are conscious of their weight and try to eat better and healthier don't deserve any negative comments--only encouragement.

Same goes for thin people. If you're naturally skinny, and someone makes a comment on it, that you should "just eat a steak" to gain weight, should realize that you made a healthy diet choice for a reason, and after cutting out all the unhealthy stuff, you're at your ideal weight. Whether it's 90lbs, or 200.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

I tend to look down on fat people when I see them eating a Whopper and Super Size fries and a bucket of Coke, knowing they could be thinner and healthier if they wouldn't eat that garbage, but people that are conscious of their weight and try to eat better and healthier don't deserve any negative comments--only encouragement.
(italics mine)

certainly everyone would be healthier if they don't eat a lot of junk food. but you're equating thinness with health here, whether you meant to or not. and that's just not true. i am a living example of a fat person who does not overeat or eat a lot of junk food. i am not any thinner than i was when i wasn't getting a lot of exercise and i was eating at mcdonalds. and i'm not the only fat person who's noticed this phenomenon.

what do you think about the thin person you see eating "garbage"?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Word up, Maxi!!

I'm 5'6" and weigh 100 pounds sopping wet. I get so pissed off when people at work tell me to "eat some freakin' potato chips already" or when I mention that I'm cold and someone says it's b/c I'm a skinny freak of nature. WTF? Why is it deemed socially acceptable to make a smart-a** comment about someone being skinny but not about someone being fat?

I think the one I hate the most is when people say "Oh my God, I hate you, you're so skinny." Is that supposed to be a compliment? Argh! I could go on and on and on, but I'll refrain.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
augh! okay. listen up folks!

when people make comments towards thin people, you do realize that they are doing it because they are fat phobic, right?

most people aren't rail thin. being thin is celebrated in our society. look at the role models we have on t.v., in movies and magazines. look at the sizes that are commonly available in most stores. look at who gets mocked and ridiculed most in the media. look at where all the research funding goes when it comes to determining how weight and health are connected (how many studies do you see in the news every month talking about how being thin will kill you?). look at all the people KILLING themselves to avoid being fat, by starving themselves or vomiting up precious calories.

when someone makes a comment about you being "too thin", it's a thinly veiled way of saying, "god, i can't ever live up to society's ideal of being thin like you...so i'm going to try and hurt your feelings about it." it's NOT RIGHT. it's definitely WRONG. but it's not the same thing as when fat people get picked on for their weight. no one is saying, "god, you're so fat, i hate you" because they are jealous of the fat person's body size.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I didn't say it was the same thing to make fun of a fat person and to make fun of a skinny person. I said it is socially acceptable to make fun of a skinny person and it's not to make fun of a fat person. Jealousy is no excuse and doesn't make it any less offensive.

As far as finding clothes for skinny people--I don't know about the others on here, but I have a ridiculously hard time finding clothes. If I wear jeans, I need a size 1 extra long (occasionally I can get away with a size 2 extra long). I can't buy pants, skirts, or dresses at Target or at TJ Maxx or at JC Penney's or at Kohl's b/c they don't come in my size. I have often wished I was a size 10 or 12 as opposed to my current size. **sigh** Guess the grass is always greener...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts