• Are you tall?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you short?

• Are you of average height?

• Would you call yourself "thin"?

• Would you call yourself of "average" size?

• Would you call yourself "big"?

• Would you call yourself "fat"?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I think that the original fat grrl post was really a place for people struggling with the fat issue to post their daily routines and meal, and since it has become a debate on "fat" humans, I thought that I'd move the post here. I have included a poll see if we can determine the general "fatness" or "thinness" of the the people on the VB.

Let the games begin!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i am wondering how many people would be willing to cop to being fat, when it has been demonstrated here, time and again, that they will be subject to judgement and ridicule.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To a moderator: I screwed my poll up...can you fix it so that people can choose more than one choice. *&%$#^! Sorry all!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am disgusted with the current state of human beings living amongst excess,and over-indulging. I am disgusted to see extremely obese children everywhere with their asthma and their adult size clothing- mackin' out on whole pizzas and McD's value meals (for snacks). Elsewhere in the world, kids DIE because they don't have enough food to get them through the day. It is known that obesity is at an EPIDEMIC level here in the states, and I don't think it is anything to be proud of or to be applauded by others. I know 5 women who have received the gastric by-pass surgery, despite the known side-effects (my friend just miscarried twins- they warn you when you have the surgery that you may miscarry-) that is how desperate these women are- Being fat isn't healthy, isn't natural, and it isn't FUN-

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Hrm, well jumping into the debate, I think that many of the anti-fat people have rather naive views of how easily we can control changes in body weight. I noticed that when I was half-marathon training that my weight loss stopped at 180 lbs and the extra fat around my middle remained in spite of going well beyond the recommended exercise levels for weight loss.

While it is true that obesity can be a serious medical problem, it is a medical problem for which the only cures appear to be radical surgery or drug control. Long-term weight-loss is one of those areas where Western medicine has no idea about how to work. The body appears to be extremely resistant to loosing weight.

Speaking of thermodynamics (mentioned in the last thread) the body mass difference between a 200lb person and a 300lb person is less than 5% of dietary intake over years. The calorie counting just does not add up.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
you know, aksjg, we've been going back and forth on this for a couple of days now, and it seems that you're not hearing anything anyone has said to you, that has contradicted your views.

what i can't figure out is, are you really that resistant to admitting that not all fat people overeat? or are you simply trying to push buttons and start arguments with people?

either way it seems i can't get my point across to you. so, i'll cut my losses and get the hell outta dodge.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Thin vs. fat? Who cares? Why are fat and thin people always locked in battle? Can't we all just get along?

aksjg: Kreeli is right, not all fat people are overweight due to poor diet. It is not right to make that assumption. I will concede that North America having the MOST fat people IS due to diet and a sedentary lifestyle.

Anyway, I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I agree with aksjg about the obesity epidemic. (Though I don't think it has to do with starving children, that has other reasons).

But I think Kreeli's point is that we should not generalize fat people and put them all in the same "overeating, unhealthy and gluttonous" box. She says that there ARE fat people who are very healthy, who excercise, and who do not overeat. I think this is a very good point i.e. generalizations are always bad and lead to prejudices and often enough aggression. Even skeptics should give this opinion consideration and a chance.

I think we should give Kreeli (and the other Grrrls) a break in the other thread and really just see what they do and eat. *Then* we can build a better opinion about this issue and the point she's trying to make.

Can we do that?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Ah yes and I think a poll (any poll) is not desirable here, as we are in the process of forming an opinion (at least I am) and not deciding something. What would be the value of the result? Most people on VB are thin and therefore we are right? I bet even thin people disagree on this issue.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm not thin, and I consider myself part of the VB. I'm going to start a new poll. I just think that it would be interesting to see what the dynamics are of this group. People can just do the poll, and it will remain anonymous, so we can get a true cross section.

OK, Micheal....here it goes

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to try to do this poll thing again. Sorry I messed it up. Hopefully, Micheal will transfer the posts.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
askg, you are siting differences in our environment from the past 50 to 200 years. Sorry, but it takes thousands of years for genes to catch up with that sort of change. If we have been genetically programmed to gain weight in order to protect ourselves against famine from the days of our earliest ancestors, we probably haven't, genetically, changed that much in the past couple of generations.

On the contrary, the fact that we, as the most plentiful society on earth is getting fatter makes perfect genetic sense. Thousands to many hundreds of years ago, people died more often and earlier. Many genetic changes took place at that time, because not nearly as many humans lived to reproductive age. Now that we are living longer lives AND more people are living, period, we are making even slower genetic changes. We no longer mutate our genes due to survival of the fittest.

If you want to look at one specific trait, lets look at fertility. Nearly all life on this planet is dearly concerned with reproducing itself. An enormous amount of lifes energies are put into producing healthy offspring, AND as many offspring as possible.

If we look at only the ability of humans to reproduce as a sign of the health of the species, then fat (particularly in women) is one of the biggest advantages to reproduction that we have. Women must have fat in order to product sufficient amounts of estrogen. If a woman is too thin, she is likely to become infertile, and her ability to reproduce will stop all together. This is a well documented fact regarding women whose body fat is too low, such as severe athletes and women with eating disorders such as anorexia. These women's mestruation ceases, and after a certain point, so does their health.

However, the heavier a girl is as she approaches puberty, the more likely she is to start her menstral cycles young. This has been scientifically linked to the additional fat cells and their aid in hormone production. This is claimed to be the reason that the average age of the onset of menstruation has been steadily going down over the past few generations.

Looking at this fact from a genetics point of view, the heavier girls ready to reproduce sooner, healthier for child bearing and more likely to reproduce more quickly and more often. In an evolutionary and bological sense, the fat, in this particular case, wins.

A case can be made for the statement that women who are heavier have healthier babies, and that they were and are more likely to survive child birth and the raising of a newborn if put under ecological stress.

I am not saying that fat is better. I am not saying that there is not a fat epidemic. What I AM saying is that fat IS one of the "normals" AND does have it's genetic and evolutionary advantages.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Maybe the BMI would be more accurate,

As people may consider themselves fat when they are not..

And vice versa...

So they results may be more opioniunated then factual.

Danny

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.