VeggieBoards banner

TheStars&TheWorld

608 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TheStars&TheWorld 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am transitioning to a plant-based/vegan diet regimen. I am working toward not consuming any animal products.

What part of the journey I am at?
I have removed eggs, milk, and any other type of milk product from my fridge. But, I am still working on removing hidden dairy products in food. Not being harsh on myself and being compassionate toward myself on this journey.

My symptoms:
Tired
Craving sugars (even though I never like the taste of sweets but golly do I crave it now)
Skin inflammation.

I assume my body is removing some stuff and also is adjusting to the no-dairy products in the body.

I am here to look for a supportive non-judgmental surrounding. I'm not looking to get involved in the plant-based/vegan type drama that is playing out on youtube.

Look forward to reading everyone's journey.

*cis-gendered female here.
::kiss:::nerd:

See less See more
#2 ·
You don't indicate WHAT you're eating! Giving up animal products won't cause those symptoms!
Maybe not getting enough calories? That is common for people transitioning.
I really can't say I had any adverse effects from giving up dairy, but I certainly felt the increase in mucus production whenever I'd have it! Appartantly people do though-
http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/detoxing-from-dairy-products.html

http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/detoxing-from-dairy-products.html

Keep at it, it gets so so much better the longer you keep from thinking of animals as food!

For me, I don't really know if vegan cheeses got THAT much better, or my tastes have changed that much. I tried Daiya block jalepano havarti and loved it so much, both melted and cold, that I tasted a bit of cheddar to compare. I spit out the cheddar and rinsed my mouth.

Be sure you're getting a wide range of foods, don't try and go low fat, or low salt unless you already are used to that.

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/vegan.htm

#3 ·
Welcome!

I don't remember ever going through a "detox" when I went vegan, but then I had avoided most dairy/cheese for years prior. I wonder if your skin inflammation is related to something you either added into your diet or some new product (perhaps a plant based one) you have tried? I can't imagine the absence of a food causing skin inflammation. However, many years ago when I was starving myself for a long time, I had a niacin deficiency and had raised bumps all over my torso and down my legs, though it didn't itch or hurt. Vitamin deficiencies generally take a long time to develop and longer for symptoms to appear.

Being tired is a sign of not eating enough. As silva said, a variety of plant foods will provide satiety, fullness, energy. Try stuff like peanut butter on toast; tofu veggie stir fry over brown rice; beans and potatoes (pintos, sweet potato, and homemade bbq sauce are really good!); or a bean/vegetable soup and salad.

I'm not and never have been a huge fan of vegan Youtube celebrities. you're not alone there! :)

#4 ·
@silva
Hello
I heard the rash can happen because of how so much different hormones and other chemicals are in the cheese (even meat) because of what is given to the animals on the farm. So really the detox is just your body getting use to not being fed those 'medicines/hormones' and also eliminating them. While I am not a doctor I am can't say how true. But, I have heard it quite a bit.

I read the posts. Thank you for posting those.

Well my diet has always been low fat, low sodium, low sugar. I grew up on that. So I'm sticking with my usual diet just learning how to replace the little amount of dairy that was in my diet (sour cream and butter is really what was in my diet...never like yogurt, never got too into cheese, etc..)

Miyoko kitchen cheese I heard has really good vegan cheese.

I tried veganism before and failed. But I was young (immature) and I didn't have the medical studies like I do now. So I think some medical background is helping me much right now. I just hope I can celebrate a 1 year of being vegan.

I do have psoriasis/eczema naturally. It could just be a flair or me just getting rid of toxins.

@Naturebound
Thanks for posting a response. Well I do have psoriasis/eczema..so could always be a flair. The only thing I have added to my diet that is different is soy. I been using soy milk is some of my recipes. But I was raised on soy the moment I was born...I stopped drinking it at age 8. I just recently been drinking it again and bringing it into my food. Maybe me and soy aren't getting along. I was thinking of mainly using coconut milk & cream in my cooking because I am not the type to just drink milk like stuff (in this case substitutes)

I have autoimmune issues...so everything angers my body lol even little changes.

I am trying to keep up calorie intake...the tiredness has recently just happen and I hope it past. I'm mostly just eating steam veggies and as my usually green smoothies. I have a low appetite. I'm trying to learn how to cook a variety of dishes that meat my taste buds. Slavic, Mediterranean, middle eastern, and indian food. Indian food have a lot of books tied to vegan recipes and you can find vegan recipes in middle eastern and Mediterranean. Slavic I am still figuring it out...swear sour cream is on everything. I think I mainly failed before years ago was because of trying to figure out how to veganize the type of food profile I grew up on.

This week going to experiment with some recipes....such as vegan "buttermilk" biscuits, vegan lentil soup, vegan flaky pie crust (was going to try to make vegan Jamaican patties), home-made mint chutney, etc. I'm also trying to make week bulk foods so that I can keep my calories up. I want to try to make some vegan cakes.

Good I am not alone. I do enjoy watching fullyrawkristina just because she is fun to watch. Everyone else seems to be bashing on one another. In addition I watch a few of Happy Healthy Vegan...they are usually very nice and aren't verbally nasty...at least I haven't seen that as of yet.

#7 ·
I'm trying to learn how to cook a variety of dishes that meat my taste buds. Slavic, Mediterranean, middle eastern, and indian food. Indian food have a lot of books tied to vegan recipes and you can find vegan recipes in middle eastern and Mediterranean. Slavic I am still figuring it out...swear sour cream is on everything. I think I mainly failed before years ago was because of trying to figure out how to veganize the type of food profile I grew up on.

This week going to experiment with some recipes....such as vegan "buttermilk" biscuits, vegan lentil soup, vegan flaky pie crust (was going to try to make vegan Jamaican patties), home-made mint chutney, etc. I'm also trying to make week bulk foods so that I can keep my calories up. I want to try to make some vegan cakes.
Sounds great! I'd love to try the Jamaican Patties!
Do post your cooks below; I too try to do bulk cooking, saves so much time!

http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60-vegan-support-forum/200065-what-did-you-cook-lately-5.html

#5 ·
I agree with the others.

I have autoimmune stuff going on too and when my rosacea or a rash breaks out it has to do with stress not what I'm eating.

Just remember to supplement your B12 and Omegas and make sure you eat enough.

I'd love to hear how the cake baking goes. :)

#6 ·
I agree with the others.

I have autoimmune stuff going on too and when my rosacea or a rash breaks out it has to do with stress not what I'm eating.

Just remember to supplement your B12 and Omegas and make sure you eat enough.

I'd love to hear how the cake baking goes. :)
I will definitely have to let you know how everything goes even the cooking/baking. Going to see if it's something environmental....

Not sure if I am able to add pictures yet, but if so I will add picture of whatever ends up being successful lol.

#8 ·
I didn't have any skin issues after going vegan, but I did have other physical ups and downs which I attributed to a detoxing of sorts... everything went away eventually though, but I did find getting LOTS of sleep helped a lot. While I had more energy overall, I did need to eat more often, and I did get tired if I didn't.

I am not a fan of most vegan cheeses, but my husband loves them LOL so you really just have to try and see what works for you ^_^ I do really love making homemade non-dairy cheese SAUCES though, which I put on things like pizza, nachos, etc etc. Any food which requires the cheese to be melted you're usually better off starting with the sauce version since vegan cheese doesn't really melt the same as dairy cheese ^_^ I've made homemade nut-based cheeses and they are much nicer than commercial, IMO ;)

As for vegan YouTube channels, I personally only pay attention to one: Hot For Food... I have a bit of a girl crush on Lauren Toyota, she's so cute and funny and real! LOL <3

#9 ·
@Spudulika
I definitely will post in the link you provided. I subscribed to it. I'll share any failures I run across or success. Be nice to share and also brainstorm on how to make something MORE yummy lol

I was raised on a lot of island food (Bahamian), southern, and slavic food. Southern food I really really have to adjust (cuz it has honey and dairy in it.)

@Symondezyn
Yea, I am hoping this skin issue calms down....I always had issues with this skin disorder. But It could just be a flair up or something else irritating it. I might get another allergy test because I am allergic too a lot of stuff in nature and I read on the back of this new green smoothie I got that it has spirulina (which is an algae.) Maybe that is it. Idk I just hope it calms down... I heard many theories as to what someone may experience during transitioning to veganism/plant-based diet.

I always suffered from insomnia so I am always taking naps in the car or even in a library lol

Yea... the non-dairy cheeses I am nervous about trying lol. Miyoko cheese is so calling really good...but to just have 3 items sent to me cost like 20-30$ in shipping. I am also going to learn how to make a high fat content butter for baking. I got earth balance vegan butter and not a fan of it to be completely honest.

I watch Hot for Food (she is pretty and her fiance seems very nice)....just fun watching. I tried making the buffalo cauliflower "wings"....I don't know why I made them because I never like buffalo anything lol. I watch a lot more of whatever dessert she shows and others. I really am craving a lot of stuff I never really cared for when I was just a vegetarian. Like grilled cheese I am craving it lately even though the last grill cheese I had was 2 years ago. There are some other vegan chef youtubers I watch.

I notice a lot of tofu and soy fillers in a lot of vegan food...which isn't my cup of tea either. So I really need to learn to cook/bake vegan.

"While I had more energy overall, I did need to eat more often, and I did get tired if I didn't."
I always had a low appetite...I mean I have the appetite that a 4 year old may have. So this is why I am trying to find high calorie vegan foods (with good fiber) and the best way I can do that is recreate stuff I am use to eating. Like If I bought a dinner at a restaurant I could eat that for the whole day because my appetite is that low. So I really trying to get in the calories.

But I would say one of the positives of this food regimen is it makes you realize your eating habits and what your own body needs to sustain energy.

Thank you everyone for such kind posts! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.