VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife went to the Doctor Thursday. This is the doctor that keeps up with her transplanted organs. During the visit my wife says with a smile: "I have become a vegetarian." The doctor says with a scowl: "You didn't talk to me about that first." So, basically, the blood work hasn't come back yet but, my wife's doctor basically says that if the blood work doesn't come back the way she want's it she's gonna take my wife off of the vegetarian life style. The doctor says that iron is important and she doesn't think that my wife will get enough as a vegetarian.

So, I ask my wife, who loves eating vegetarian: "What are you going to do if the doctor says you need to eat some meat?" She says that she will start eating some meat in her diet. She really doesn't want to. I mean, this vegetarian thing was her idea in the first place. Our lifestyle, cupboards, refrigerator, shopping habits, restaurant choices, etc.. are all arranged for not eating any meat.

I guess at this point she is waiting for the blood work to come back. We expect to hear something by early next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,209 Posts
Oh, eep... what a situation!

There are so, so many iron-rich vegetarian foods, and although plant based sources provide non-heme iron (less easily absorbed), you can increase your iron absorption by including vitamin c in your diet. Lentils, dark leafy greens, and soybeans/tofu are good sources of iron (among many other things). If you like mock-meats, I know that Tofurky sausages have about 50% of your daily intake of iron per serving.

I guess you may have to choose whether to take the doctor's advice, try to educate him/bring him around, or just ignore him. Perhaps if you feel like you need his support you could suggest the three of you (you, your wife, your doctor) meet as a group with a nutritionist/dietitian in the hospital?

It's hard to give advice in these kinds of situations. I know that I wouldn't eat meat if my doctor told me to, but I'm confident with my understanding of nutrition and dietary health (as well as stubborn about sticking to my ethics).

Here is a link that has some good info: Iron in the Vegan Diet

Good luck, hope all goes well with your wife's test results
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I have always been told that any GREENS like kale, spinach and etc have iron... also red leaf lettuce is a good source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyjane View Post

Oh, eep... what a situation!

There are so, so many iron-rich vegetarian foods, and although plant based sources provide non-heme iron (less easily absorbed), you can increase your iron absorption by including vitamin c in your diet. Lentils, dark leafy greens, and soybeans/tofu are good sources of iron (among many other things). If you like mock-meats, I know that Tofurky sausages have about 50% of your daily intake of iron per serving.

I guess you may have to choose whether to take the doctor's advice, try to educate him/bring him around, or just ignore him. Perhaps if you feel like you need his support you could suggest the three of you (you, your wife, your doctor) meet as a group with a nutritionist/dietitian in the hospital?

It's hard to give advice in these kinds of situations. I know that I wouldn't eat meat if my doctor told me to, but I'm confident with my understanding of nutrition and dietary health (as well as stubborn about sticking to my ethics).

Here is a link that has some good info: Iron in the Vegan Diet

Good luck, hope all goes well with your wife's test results
Yay!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
437 Posts
Oof I'm sorry. I hope your wife is well.

Just being a doctor doesn't make someone a nutrition expert, sadly. The first thing my PCP said when I told him I'd gone vegetarian was, "Well, that's fine, but you drink lots of milk and eat eggs, right?"


Have you talked to your wife about trying to up your iron intake through veg sources first? It sounds like she might be open to it.
 

·
Ex-*****
Joined
·
5,391 Posts
There is also the possibility of getting iron from supplements, although that is less convenient than through diet, esp. since you might have to take them a certain amount of time before a meal etc. Iron supplements also cause upset stomachs in some people. Nevertheless, supplements may be a way of ensuring she is definitely getting enough and may be a better card to play with the doctor.

My wife had some success with a liquid iron supplement called Floravital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I guess we will see what happens with the blood work. My wife has never liked eating meat. She's not thrilled about being told to start eating some meat. I kinda think her blood work will work out fine because she loves tofu and spinach and eats plenty of it. Her doctor, who has always been very friendly wasn't very pleasant about not being consulted. Well, she was already upset about my wife's not getting a mammogram either so, it was just down hill from that point. We'll see where it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,026 Posts
It's sad that your doctor is so poorly educated in nutrition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z84_LwPzAKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3LLPqLAaPI

Many doctors if they find that someone is deficient in iron they will simply prescribe a supplement. There are all kinds of reasons for a deficiency so without further testing it's not a good idea to jump to a conclusion that it's lack of iron in the diet. It could be a disease or it could be lack of another nutrient (easily obtained in plant form): vitamin C. Here's some good info on how to obtain adequate iron in a vegan diet: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/iron
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,961 Posts
If your wife has done her research into a veg diet she should already be looking for another doctor, regardless of her results.
If she is low on iron, or whatever, blaming it on a lack of flesh is quite ignorant. It could be related to other problems, or she may need to adjust her diet.
If she were found anemic and ate meat surely the doctor wouldn't blame diet, but look for other causes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

My wife went to the Doctor Thursday. This is the doctor that keeps up with her transplanted organs. During the visit my wife says with a smile: "I have become a vegetarian." The doctor says with a scowl: "You didn't talk to me about that first." So, basically, the blood work hasn't come back yet but, my wife's doctor basically says that if the blood work doesn't come back the way she want's it she's gonna take my wife off of the vegetarian life style. The doctor says that iron is important and she doesn't think that my wife will get enough as a vegetarian.

So, I ask my wife, who loves eating vegetarian: "What are you going to do if the doctor says you need to eat some meat?" She says that she will start eating some meat in her diet. She really doesn't want to. I mean, this vegetarian thing was her idea in the first place. Our lifestyle, cupboards, refrigerator, shopping habits, restaurant choices, etc.. are all arranged for not eating any meat.

I guess at this point she is waiting for the blood work to come back. We expect to hear something by early next week.
Ooh spooky..the doctor's gonna come into her house and MAKE her do it, amirite!

I'm sure that fifteen hours of nutritional classes this brilliant MD had to take to get her degree makes her an expert in nutrition, since her job is dispensing pills for Big Pharma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,079 Posts
I hope the test results bring good news! Being an organ recipient, is your wife taking any medications that could be affecting the absorption of specific vitamins and minerals? Depending on the results, I would keep that in mind before letting the doctor jump to the conclusion that a deficiency is related to her diet. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

So, basically, the blood work hasn't come back yet but, my wife's doctor basically says that if the blood work doesn't come back the way she want's it she's gonna take my wife off of the vegetarian life style.
I'd tear a strip off any doctor that took that attitude with me. Some of them seriously think they're effing god sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I hope the test results bring good news! Being an organ recipient, is your wife taking any medications that could be affecting the absorption of specific vitamins and minerals? Depending on the results, I would keep that in mind before letting the doctor jump to the conclusion that a deficiency is related to her diet. Good luck!
I thought the same. Good luck from me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
The U.S.D.A. used to have nothing but bad things about the vegetarian diet. Now they have nothing but good things to say about it. Bill Clinton became practially vegan on the advice of top doctors.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,726 Posts
My sister is an omni and has had issues with low iron off and on. More than one doctor has told her to up her intake of green leafy veggies and vitamin C. I hope your wife's blood work yields good results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I am glad you survived the big C I am a survivor too. I believe too much meat can cause cancer.

Allen

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive via TapaTalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
When I told my doctor that I went vegetarian, the first thing she said was, "Where do you get your protein from?" UGH..... But, at least she liked the idea. She told me that being vegetarian was one of the best things a diabetic could do. She actually didn't even know what quinoa was. Good luck to you and your wife. I hate when people do everything their doctors say, especially when doctors don't know squat about nutrition.

Laura
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,714 Posts
IMO most don't know squat about nutrition... the problem is people think doctors do. I truly believe our current medical schools are heavily influenced by big pharma and our medical system and health care reflect that. Here have another pill...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Yep, doctors know nothing about nutrition. I think instead of going back to eating meat, the wife needs to see a new doctor! If I would have been her, I would have told the doctor, "See ya!" And left to never return. In fact I did this back in 2006 when I finally got fed up with the whole medical system. The last straw was a test happy doctor that kept sending me for so many tests...which had me fasting the night before, then having me wait all day for my blood to be drawn or diagnostics,etc. I finally could not stand it any longer one day, when the clock was going on 3pm and I had not had anything all day, and I wanted some caffeine! So I got up and left, found a Starbucks and sat there the rest of the afternoon, nourishing my soul. And I have not seen a doctor since and am much happier for it.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top