VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this idea from another forum. I thought I'd post some sources here for everyone to learn about the wool industry and why we all should care about it. This info thread would make a great sticky, mods.

None of these links contain graphic video or pictures.

Vegan Society http://www.vegansociety.com/phpws/fi...tfile/wool.pdf

Veg Source http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qawool.htm

Vegan Outreach http://www.veganoutreach.org/starterpack/wool.html

PETA Fact Sheet http://www.peta.org/factsheet/files/...play.asp?ID=55

PETA has a website specifically for the wool industry with lots of information. There are graphic videos and pictures on their website. Please search for their site if you wish to view it.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I had the opportunity just last week to educate some co-workers about the wool industry. It is surprising how many people are oblivious to what really goes on...they were asking me questions like, 'but don't the sheep need to be sheared anyway?'....'you're doing them a favor by taking their wool'. They were shocked to hear how the sheep are treated...unfortunately, they weren't interested in hearing any more about the details. It's easier for them to close their eyes to the sad truth, the same way they do with the food industry.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I had the opportunity just last week to educate some co-workers about the wool industry. It is surprising how many people are oblivious to what really goes on...they were asking me questions like, 'but don't the sheep need to be sheared anyway?'....'you're doing them a favor by taking their wool'. They were shocked to hear how the sheep are treated...unfortunately, they weren't interested in hearing any more about the details. It's easier for them to close their eyes to the sad truth, the same way they do with the food industry.
Thank you for sharing from your personal experience, Karen.
I also have received the same comments from friends. There are a lot of myths out there that need to be exposed! That's great that you spoke up for the animals!

·
Vegan Police Officer
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

It's easier for them to close their eyes to the sad truth, the same way they do with the food industry.
Telling people about the wool industry who still tuck into their steak with gusto, and drink their glass of milk=murder, is usually an absolutely waste of time.

I do not think that most people want to close their eyes to the sad truth. My take on the indifference of people is not that they do not want to see, but they quite frankly couldn't care less, because animals are just a commodity to them and do not particularly care if they suffer.

It's time to stop talking of the suffering of animals, which will only lead to Bigger Cages, and to get people educated about Animal Rights.

Once they have twigged onto the fact that ANIMALS ARE NOT OUR PROPERTY, they will automatically make the switch from being animal exploiters to animal liberationists.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

It's time to stop talking of the suffering of animals, which will only lead to Bigger Cages, and to get people educated about Animal Rights.

Once they have twigged onto the fact that ANIMALS ARE NOT OUR PROPERTY, they will automatically make the switch from being animal exploiters to animal liberationists.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Wool is a tricky one. I used to think that some people opposed wool on the philosophy that something that comes from an animal is wrong.

I think some others may jump to that conclusion as well.

The easiest things to mention are the long cruel ocean voyages cramped together and inhumane slaughter that most sheep in the wool industry face.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.