VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a book, 101 uses for baking soda, which I know is somewhere in this [email protected]#$% messy apartment but I can't find it. I know that baking soda is useful in tons of ways, from baking to deodorizing diaper pails and litter boxes, to making a simple (if abrasive) toothpaste. My neighbor, who recommended the book in the first place, once told me it's useful for keeping ants away, as I had an ant invasion in my kitchen at the time, and I didn't want to use poisons since I had cats walking around. She said to put lines of baking soda down on the floor and on the counters, and the ants won't cross those lines, and it won't hurt the cats. It seemed to work, although the ants eventually came back a couple years later.

So I was wondering if anyone has discovered an interesting use for baking soda? Baking soda biscuit recipes are always welcome.

ETA: Oh, I also remember being told that if something catches fire on the stove, baking soda will put out the fire and not hurt the food. I think it depends on what's being cooked, though.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
My girlfriend has a book like this. It's called Salt, Vinegar, Baking Soda, Lemon Juice. Basically they just give you uses for these ingredients that you wouldn't expect like repelling bugs and cleaning stuff...etc. Pretty cool.
If you put purple cabbage in baking soda with water I believe it turns blue.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Been using baking soda mixed with a bit of water as a facial cleanser/exfoliant, other cleansers didn't work for me and made my skin flaky. Then I use a witch hazel toner afterward, no moisturizer - moisturizers seem to turn my face into a yucky oil slick. Really glad I discovered this because it's the only thing that has kept my skin smoother, clearer and less oily.

I've also started using baking soda + water in place of shampoo and my hair feels healthier and softer so far.
My cowlicks are also a lot less unruly!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Baking soda and a little soap works a charm for when I don't have clothes detergent.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Baking soda is good stuff to put in the salt container when you're having dinner and the conversation turns to people's favorite movies and someone mentions Top Gun or Cocktail.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I can taste baking soda in foods like the easy chocolate cake recipe and I can taste it in bread and biscuits and I don't like it. I prefer using recipes that call for baking powder, or a combination of the two. My box of baking soda lasts a really long time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My daughter was doing laundry for me not long ago and forgot a load of towels in the washer. Two days later I opened the washer to do a load and that mildew smell was overpowering
. I rewashed them in hot water with detergent & a big box of baking soda and now they are fresh as a daisy

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
For a rock hard fill in whatever (like a missing chip in a piece of pottery, etc), pack with baking soda ('sodium bicarbonate', 'bicarbonate of soda') then add some drops of water thin super-glue (Cyanoacrylate). rock hard dry in seconds. The BS acts as a hardening accelerator for super-glue. BS can be dyed for this, if white won't do.

So often, someone thinks baking *powder* is the same thing as baking soda. Not the same thing.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Open a clogged drain- pour baking soda in drain, then flush with vinegar. Soda and vinegar react to make fizzing bubbles, often enough to break up whatever's clogging the drain.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

ETA: Oh, I also remember being told that if something catches fire on the stove, baking soda will put out the fire and not hurt the food. I think it depends on what's being cooked, though.
It puts out grease fires, which you're not supposed to put out with water (because grease floats on water and it will spread). I don't know about it saving the food though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.