VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I haven't seen it yet but have been dancing around the idea of buying it. I just got the videos Diet for a New America (Amazon.com) and the Animal Liberation Collection (Vegan Book Project). Both were very good and I plan to add to my video library. So you've convinced me. I'll be buying it next payday.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I can't watch the preview because my work computer won't allow it (firewall stuff).

Anyone who has seen this video (the whole thing) - please help me out and answer these questions:

1.) Is it controversial (would it cause a minor riot if shown in public etc.) If it is controversial - how controversial is it?

2.) Is it suitable for children? (or what ages is it suitable for?)

The reason I'm asking is I donate videos and veg*n materials a lot to school libraries/public libraries and I lend matrials out a lot. I could buy this video for myself - but they have an option to get a 24 video set w/additional materials for $240.00. I would do that if I was sure that the libraries would accept it (they won't take Meet Your Meat video - and a couple of books I donated caused some problems before).

Thanks Oatmeal for the link.

Thanks to anyone who could give details on this video.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
What isn't controversial?

Look at it this way, it's an award-winning 43-minute documentary about a man who learned to love instead of fight, and who has made it his mission to educating people about the horrors of meat and fur production.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes, it could definitely be controversial, as most animal rights issues are.

I wouldn't let children watch it. It is a highly emotional video (at least to me, it was) and had some graphic material in it (like animals getting caught in fur traps).

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Thank you Flower.

I will buy a copy for me, but I'm certain the library folks won't allow me to donate any.

Epski - I understand what you are saying; however, there is no sense in purchasing it to donate only to have it turned away. That's the reason I was asking in the first place.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dvmarie

Epski - I understand what you are saying; however, there is no sense in purchasing it to donate only to have it turned away. That's the reason I was asking in the first place.
Sure. But I couldn't know if it would get turned away. That's why I gave you the info I did. I didn't tell you what to do oen way or the other because, ultimately, you're in a better position than all of us to know.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Literally just watched it in its entirety. The woman I'm dog-sitting for has practically everything AR due to her line of work.

This is a great video for the average Joe. I found it kind of badly made and uninvolving, but that's partly because I've seen all that footage and worse through my work. It's also because I'm a filmmaker, and I'm always evaluating the merits of a film. BUT, the final sequence, with Sarah's music, and the reactions of the people on the street... priceless. I would have shot the entire thing in a very different way, but I can think of several people in my family who would relate to it for being so plain and plain-spoken. My wife's family alone (the Croatians living in Brooklyn and Long Island) would likely relate to the blue collar life of Eddie, but I'm not sure it would be enough to make them vegetarian. And I don't think any of them wear fur, 'cause it's so expensive.

My wife was telling me stories when she was back there how worried they were about her for not eating meat and dairy. Eddie's so skinny that they will probably think he's sick!

On the other hand, some of them might at least give the whole idea more than passing thought if they saw this video, and it doesn't hurt that it's relatively short.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
i finally saw this movie for the first time. it was just incredible, i implore everyone to try to see it if they can. it was depressing, uplifting, and horrifying all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

BUT, the final sequence, with Sarah's music, and the reactions of the people on the street... priceless.
oh man, you're not kidding. watching the stares of disbelief and the tears was one of the most gut wrenching things i've ever seen..

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
The preview clip lagged big time, the sound and picture were not in synch, etc., but the clip was still very touching. The idea of driving with a van with a monitor was new to me.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I forgot all about this thread. I saw it months ago. I really appreciate what he's doing and seeing the looks on some peoples faces had an effect. But overall, it just wasn't what I was expecting and not really worth the twenty bucks it cost. Sorry.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_Sword2Sky View Post

I forgot all about this thread. I saw it months ago. I really appreciate what he's doing and seeing the looks on some peoples faces had an effect. But overall, it just wasn't what I was expecting and not really worth the twenty bucks it cost. Sorry.
Share it with a bunch of people and open some minds, and maybe the cost will start to feel more worthwhile. A thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.