VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend some of my family and I traveled to Texas to welcome back my brother from war in Afghanistan (thank you Jesus!).

I'm on month 7 of veggie-ism and wouldn't have it any other way. Couldn't believe the food options in Texas, everywhere you go it's BBQ this and meat that. My family is composed of meat-loving omni's and still learning to "cope with" my non-meat eating ways. Of course, my brother being the manly Army solider he is wanted BBQ every meal. I found myself living on potatoes, beans, and desserts. Zero veggie options! How do you southerns manage?

Of course I would have never went to these restaurants if it were my choice, it was his choices and I certainly obliged "figuring" there would be options. I guess the I'm spoiled in Southern California with so many accommodations. Not only that I don't want to make a fuss over food, I am proud of my lifestyle and thankful for the small choices I did have. I have to admit I was urked when reading the Rudy's Texas BBQ employee t-shirts... "I didn't climb my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables."
My family had a blast on that one.

Just curious how the southerners in meat-land make do? Also if you're the only veggie in the fam, what is the best way to approach these situations?

·
Banned
437 Posts
Congratulations to your brother! I'm glad he's home safely

I'm not a southerner, but I'm sure some people here will have good advice for you. I'm the only vegetarian in my family, and sometimes at restaurants beans, rice and potatoes just have to make do. I'm lucky that I'm not often dragged to steakhouses, though...I'm guessing none of those places had a veggie or mushroom burger?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I'm guessing none of those places had a veggie or mushroom burger?
Ha! I would have been a pig in mud if that kind of option was available! Sadly no. No options other than side dishes. I was surprised that Sonic didn't even offer a veggie burger. In these situations I'm happy for the sides, I guess i'm just used to more options is all. Much empathy to the veggie residents in these parts.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grkgdss00 View Post

Ha! I would have been a pig in mud if that kind of option was available! Sadly no. No options other than side dishes. I was surprised that Sonic didn't even offer a veggie burger. In these situations I'm happy for the sides, I guess i'm just used to more options is all. Much empathy to the veggie residents in these parts.
I'm from California, too, so I can't help you, but Sonic, even though it doesn't have a veggie burger, has grilled cheese. It wouldn't help me at all but if you eat cheese then that's a decent option there

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in TX, and, for fast food, Subway has a veggie patty and Taco Bell and Chipotle have bean burritos. You can also order a salad nearly everywhere, as well as baked potatoes and side veggie/meatless dishes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also, wanted to mention that most restaurants do have some kind of veggie burger. I eat out a few times a week and there are usually several options to choose from, but there are definitely places where all I can get is a salad and/or sides.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in a small town in Texas and my only option is Subway and they don't even have a veggie patty just the veggie delight with all the vegetables. I hardly ever eat out; Even as an omni I refused to eat at the little roach infested cafes

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Depends on where you are in Texas. I'm in Houston, and there are many, many vegan restaurants and buffets. If you're in a small town, you'll have a problem,that's for sure. I did make a nice discovery while traveling the Lone Star State; many small town places can put together a very tasty veggie sandwich and fries. I just ask them to pile on the vegs and add extra pickles and onions. Many Mexican restaurants use lard in their re fried beans, but most offer vegan black beans which are tasty served on top of a tostada shell with lots of lettuce,tomato, pico de gallo, and guacamole. You can also make a delicious taco with avocado and lots of lettuce, pico and jalapeno. Chili's offers a very good black bean burger, and if you can locate Miller's restaurant, you can have them fix up a burger made of sauteed mushrooms, onions and guacamole that is out of this world. It's not so bad to be veg in Texas. Depending on the location, one can actually dine quite well.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Where are you in Texas? Besides the fast food joints like Taco Bell, Burger King, Subway, etc you might also have luck in small Mexican places too. I visit San Antonio every year and I have no problems being vegan there. There's Green's which is my favorite place ever! It's vegetarian but extremely vegan friendly and just has the best food and atmosphere. My last dining experience there topped going to Horizon's in Philadelphia (which has sadly closed) which was a pretty popular spendy vegan restaurant on the east coast. Also Adalante's, Twin Sisters, and Mad Hatters Tea House are pretty veg*n friendly.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I live near Dallas and navigate just fine. Probably b/c it is a major city. As far as restaurants, we have found many, many good places where we can get both vegetarian and vegan food. There are a few restaurants that are devoted to it in town, but generally, we stick to regular places. We have found several taco joints with grilled veggie tacos that are awesome. All of our Tex-Mex places have veg options where you can get veggie fajitas or enchiladas, mix and match sauces, etc... Of course we eat at Chipotle a lot. We also eat a lot of Chinese food, and at bistro and salad type places. The chains all have veg*n options these days as well. We have a couple of local Italian places that have veg*n options too. There really is no shortage if you aren't in the boonies.I wouldn't touch Subway or Taco Bell with a 10 ft. pole unless it was literally the only thing around. Even then, I would be weary. I am a major food snob. I can see having issues going to my MIL's town or something though in the boondocks. That is why we just never go. My husband was lamenting a trip down there we have to take next month b/c he has been eating vegetarian and they just don't have much there, and his mom is one who will inadvertently put meat or broth in everything. He never realized how hard it was until HE started doing it. I always fill up before I go and eat a ton of salad, b/c she always has that.

As far as stores go, I feel lucky. I live near Central Market, which is an awesome gourmet market, and a Whole Foods. Trader Joe's announced they are coming to the area too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts