VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've seen it posted on FB, seems interesting!

Just checked it out on vegan essentials... I was never really into fried eggs, and don't think Im curious enough to pay $8 + shipping.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch! I probably got ahead of myself, anyway, lol. Just checked out the ingredients...so basically, it's glorified nutritional yeast?

Ingredients: Fortified nutritional yeast (dry yeast, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin B12), sodium alginate, black sea salt, beta carotene

I was more interested in it for the yolk replacement.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Ouch! I probably got ahead of myself, anyway, lol. Just checked out the ingredients...so basically, it's glorified nutritional yeast?

Ingredients: Fortified nutritional yeast (dry yeast, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, thiamin hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin B12), sodium alginate, black sea salt, beta carotene

I was more interested in it for the yolk replacement.
Yeah, the yolk is what would be much more important.

Most vegan "egg" replacements act as only a substitute for cooking in recipes that involve eggs. It'd be nice to see one that fries like an actual egg instead of just a powder you mix with water to make a mixture of a certain consistency.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
I have an open cart on VeganEssentials.com right now, so I'm gonna add this to it. Good grief, this stuff is expensive. If it dazzles me, I won't mind the price. If it doesn't dazzle me, I will let you guys know. Well, I'll let you know either way, actually.

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
OK, I got the stuff in and it calls for mixing the entire pack into a liter of water. For my first test, I didn't want to do nearly that much. So, I did calculations for 1/2 a cup of water. It came out to 5.5 grams of powder. Most companies go a little light on their mixtures, so I rounded it up to 6 grams. They recommended blending in a blender. I chose to whip it with a fork because you can waste a good bit in a blender. Before cooking, the texture was very much like an egg! It even tasted a bit like one, too. It is not glorified nutritional yeast, believe me. This is very different. Now for the frying test. I heated up a little oil and fried away. To my dismay, it did not "egg" up like scrambled eggs. Have a look (read more below):

This product is so close to being a great egg substitute, so I gave the package another look. It says it is great for tofu scrambles and French toast. Perhaps this stuff is not good enough to be a standalone product, but it is meant to supplement certain recipes. I think this probably would work well on French toast, as the bread could soak it up and then you brown the bread.

In short, my first experiment failed. But according to my calculations, I have about 7 more 1/2 cup servings in the bag. I'll probably try French Toast next and report back. It still has potential, so don't count it out just yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scrambled egg yolks (only)? I never tried that even when I used to eat eggs 20 years ago. You're missing the whites -- that must be the tofu! Anyway, thanks for your efforts, and do keep us informed of your other experiments.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

It says it is great for tofu scrambles and French toast. Perhaps this stuff is not good enough to be a standalone product, but it is meant to supplement certain recipes. I think this probably would work well on French toast, as the bread could soak it up and then you brown the bread.
Well that's disappointing. I assumed it was meant to be used for as a substitute for fried eggs. It doesn't really seem worth the cost if it's only good for things like french toast or tofu scrambles. Hopefully your next attempt will be successful.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
The black sea salt is probably giving it the "eggy" flavor. I put it in tofu scramble and it's divine. I also put it in my eggless egg salad. You can order it online.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, that's it...I'm going to go order some right now! With regard to the fried egg, it's not available yet...I re-read the article and it said this:

"and he's not done yet. The next Vegg product will be a vegan egg patty for breakfast sandwiches, and then, in about a year or two, he'll be ready to launch the world's first vegan fried egg. "

Edit: Well that copy and pasted weird from tapatalk! lol

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I have ordered some of this stuff.
I'm going to try and make an omelette and some French toast. I also ordered some vegan honey to see how that tastes. I didn't really ever like honey in my pre-vegan days but I thought it might make a change to have something different on my toast.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I just tried it to make a pan of scrambled "eggs" by mixing the Vegg with a carton of firm tofu and shared it with my hubbie. He thought it was quite nice with tomato ketchup in a wholemeal bun but I threw half of mine away. (It smelled really eggy and made me feel sick and it tasted basically like nooch.)

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

I just tried it to make a pan of scrambled "eggs" by mixing the Vegg with a carton of firm tofu and shared it with my hubbie. He thought it was quite nice with tomato ketchup in a wholemeal bun but I threw half of mine away. (It smelled really eggy and made me feel sick and it tasted basically like nooch.)
Oh that grosses me out so much. It sounds like it would be great for people that really miss eggs though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts