VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and big sister, both omnis, have been passing this around with pride over facebook. What do you guys think about this? I think she generalises a whole lot, and doesn't hit the nail on the head on many points.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops! I should've checked there (allllmost did. Eep!)

Hahaha-- it totally blew them all away and they took down the posts.
(Unfortunately some people had already seen the video and, of course, took it as a justification for their current diet. At least more people won't thanks to that link! Thank you!!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know, right? It just irked me to no end. It stinks that this woman is woefully uninformed, but she doesn't have to be so dang convincing as to spin her tales right at the people who feel the need to hear it to justify their diets. Arghh, I shall step off my soapbox. But MAN! The things she can do in a few hours mangles what we try to do in YEARS! We can't lose hope, though. Not for the animals, the enviro, and health of everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
If people really believed it was okay to be veg*n, they would have to face the truth that the billions of animals slaughtered every day is unjustified. You can't say you are compassionate and still eat them if you didn't think you needed animal protein.
The many fallen vegans who advocate eating "organic, humanly raised meat because they were soooo sick without it" simply can't take the pressure of not giving in to cravings and being outside the mainstream. They need to come up with phony excuses so it still looks like they really tried, but found what everyone else said-they needed animal protein, and they're sooo very sorry.
In kieths case, she even extends it to where raising grassfed, free range cattle is the best thing for the environment. Doesn't come up with any answers as to how everyone would have to drastically cut back on consumption, or how the average person could afford the much higher price. Really burns me up is how adamant she is that veganism is unhealthy! That would be the only hope in raising cattle for omnivores-if more people quit eating meat! But that would show her lies.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Agriculture is horrible but her views on veganism are skewed. Also not everyone thinks meat made our brains bigger...many believe it was cooking in general.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Evolution is driven by mutation, not what organisms eat. I really don't see how what people ate had anything to do with the growth of their brains. And if it were true, wouldn't modern meat eating humans have brains the size of watermelons by now?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Evolution is driven by mutation, not what organisms eat. I really don't see how what people ate had anything to do with the growth of their brains. And if it were true, wouldn't modern meat eating humans have brains the size of watermelons by now?
Yeah..again, people have this inaccurate view of what evolution actually is. The body changes first, through mutation, then the creature adapts. It's not the other way around. Using computers doesn't make people smarter - but being smarter allows people to design and use computers.

·
3,936 Posts
but if you had a population of primates, some with larger brains, and some with smaller but their diet couldn't support a larger brain, then the primates with the larger brains would die, or be unsuccessful in some way, leaving the primates with the smaller brains.

I'm not sure what our ancestors ate, perhaps a lot of insects.

·
3,936 Posts
that doesn't really have any bearing on the matter.

There does seem to be a correlation between size of brain(in relation to the size of their body) and intelligence, in the animal kingdom, although it's not always a direct relationship.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

that doesn't really have any bearing on the matter.

There does seem to be a correlation between size of brain(in relation to the size of their body) and intelligence, in the animal kingdom, although it's not always a direct relationship.
I think it does have bearing on the reality that human beings really don't understand the source of intelligence. And as far as your earlier point about a diet being unable to support a larger brain, survival is a matter of total calories consumed, not special magic ingredients that support a larger brain that are only found in animal matter. Animals will die if they starve to death, but there is no evidence as far as I am aware that shows that animals with larger or more active brains need more calories simply because their brains are bigger or more intelligent. If that were so geniuses would never be overfat, because the study of physics and astronomy would burn more calories than just sitting around and watching TV. I don't think this is the case. It would be interesting to find out if people with very hi IQs have greater caloric needs based only on higher levels of brain function, but it doesn't seem likely, or some weight loss guru would have already cashed in on it as the latest weight loss craze.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts