VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, really sorry if this thread has crossed a line!

Has anyone read this book?? (This is the first bit before having to purchase. http://lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm )

Just to clarify, I'm vegan and wouldn't dream of turning back. But this has unsettled me slightly. I can think of counter-arguments, but I'm never confident enough to believe their validity against someone who's *gasp* published.

So I'm interested to hear your thoughts...

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
it is complete bs not just because i don't want to believe in it but because of her references. she basically was referring to websites and such. and there wre other things

i can tell that some of my sicknesses are because i don't do cocaine. and then i will refer to sigmund freud who is a more valid source than anything that woman used

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

That's very easy to say, isn't it?

What I want to know is what to do if it would somehow be true...
Yes it is.

What to do if what were true? That some lady has vague and undefined health problems that she blames on vegetarianism even though she wasn't really a vegetarian? Or what?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
This is not commonly known, but Lierre Keith actually had a ghostwriter of sorts for that book. Lierre met a guy called Fred Rogerson at an undisclosed halfway house and was immediately taken by the creativity of his passionate ramblings. But to this day, he has received no royalties whatsoever from any sales of the book, even though he wrote practically 90% of it

Fred is trying to start a court case against Lierre and you can donate to help him get funds to hire a really good lawyer:
www.helpfredrogerson.com/donate

·
Registered
6,032 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabbit View Post

First off, really sorry if this thread has crossed a line!

Has anyone read this book?? (This is the first bit before having to purchase. http://lierrekeith.com/vegmyth.htm )

Just to clarify, I'm vegan and wouldn't dream of turning back. But this has unsettled me slightly. I can think of counter-arguments, but I'm never confident enough to believe their validity against someone who's *gasp* published.

So I'm interested to hear your thoughts...
I haven't read the book, but the fact that it's "*gasp* published" doesn't mean anything. Here are some other books that are *gasp* published:

Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About by Kevin Trudeau

The Mysterious Collapse of World Trade Center 7: Why the Final Official Report About 9/11 Is Unscientific and False by David Ray Griffin

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science by Tom Bethell (challenges myths such as global warming, evolution and AIDS)

I could go on...

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Misses a single critical point in the opening argument ..

The reason intensive animal farming depends on feeding grain to livestock is 'cos there ain't enough agricultural land to grow that much grass.

Yes you could graze all animals but only if you reduce meat production, and thus meat consumption, by somewhere around 70-80%.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Yes you could graze all animals
In the US 'grass-fed' is not the same as 'grazed'. Doesn't change anything you're saying, but it's worth noting. 'Grass-fed' cattle can't be fed grain, but there's no requirement that fresh grass be fed to them instead. Alfalfa hay is a common feed source.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I write for the Myths About The Vegetarian Myth blog. I would love if somebody could give me more information about the previous comment re: Lierre Keith's ghost writer. I couldn't get the link to work nor find anything on the internet about it. I'm very interested in knowing more.
Huge love,
Carolyn

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About by Kevin Trudeau
Kevin Trudeau, a convicted felon no less. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynz View Post

Hi all,
I write for the Myths About The Vegetarian Myth blog. I would love if somebody could give me more information about the previous comment re: Lierre Keith's ghost writer. I couldn't get the link to work nor find anything on the internet about it. I'm very interested in knowing more.
Huge love,
Carolyn
That was SevenSeas. He's just bullspitting.

In regards to Keith's writing, from what I read it's nothing I haven't heard before. We all know that agriculture is destructive. It's a real shame, but it's a product of overpopulation and there's only so much we can do about it. And it's not true that vegetarians are hesitant (because of there veg*nsim) to criticize bad farming practices. Quite a few people on here, for example, avoid palm oil because of the destruction palm plantations are doing to rainforests in Borneo.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Misses a single critical point in the opening argument ..

Yes you could graze all animals but only if you reduce meat production, and thus meat consumption, by somewhere around 70-80%.
This isn't a persuasive argument against eating grass-fed meat. Perhaps people should eat meat for health, if only less? Also, as demand increases and prices rise, there will be more of an incentive for people to turn land into agricultural land to raise more meat, leading to more agricultural land for grazing animals. In any case, humans, as apes, should (biologically, not ethically or spiritually) consume a small amount of animal products, if much less than we currently consume in the industrialized world.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post

... In any case, humans, as apes, should (biologically, not ethically or spiritually) consume a small amount of animal products, if much less than we currently consume in the industrialized world.
Huh? According to Jane Goodall, chimpanzees, whom we most resemble biologically, get less than 1% of their total calories from non-plant sources, and this mostly comes from eating grubs, and only at a certain time of the year. Such evidence hardly constitutes a biological imperative for the human consumption of animal matter.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Fred is trying to start a court case against Lierre and you can donate to help him get funds to hire a really good lawyer:
www.helpfredrogerson.com/donate
It didn't rickroll me. I'm disappointed in you Sevenseas.

My favorite quote:

"On page 227, she notes that "Mark Messina, a champion of soy, thinks the Japanese eat 8.6 [grams of soyfoods] per day," or less than a tablespoon. Really? Well, I happen to be married to Mark Messina, so I have a fairly good idea of what he "thinks" about soy intake..."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts