VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very strange book. Yes, I read the whole thing. Maybe this has already been discussed, but I don't have time to search through (don't get to be on here much, as I'm a busy mom
BUT, I knew that this would be the best place to ask "What are your thoughts?" There are so many thoughtful, intelligent people on here, and I'm curious what you thought...

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
There will always be people willing to come up with a million and one reasons not to be a vegetarian. This book was no doubt written to make the author and all the meat-eaters who read it feel better about not being vegetarian.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Amy SF. Dig deep enough and you'll find people who do this. To both Amy and Freesia, did you actually read this book? I ask because, like I mentioned before, I did read the whole thing, and the environmental section was, well, compelling to me. I had never thought about environmental ramifications of growing grains and beans.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1) They have to grow all the grain anyway to feed animals in regions where grass does not grow so well naturally so why not just give it to people?

2) Beans are an important part of the diet of many cultures and many people love beans. This woman hating on bean growing is just crazy in my opinion. I have grown beans myself btw and I dont remember any environmental problems arising from it, only delicious meals and the joy of watching them grow.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I do not like this book. I've stated as much in the numerous other threads on this subject. You can do a search for the author or the name of the book in the search field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmama View Post

the environmental section was, well, compelling to me. I had never thought about environmental ramifications of growing grains and beans.
Yes, using anything for humans has an environmental impact. Unfortunately the author distorts a lot with regards to this subject. How do you feel about the environmental ramifications of growing grains and beans?

Let's make a couple of things clear though, vegetarians aren't the only or even a large percentage of those consuming grain and beans.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
No way could I read the whole thing! What I do know, is she hasn't used verifiable links to her information, it's mostly a series of websites.
What I thought compelling, was her pie-in-the-sky theory of how to make raising livestock sooo much better for the environment than simply growing plantfoods. It was such a far fetched idea, I bet we could get the majority of America to eat vegan before we could begin!
Sure, there are trade-offs with how all plant-based foods are raised, but no where does she address the issue of having to raise plants for animal feed,along with plants for humans. She only offers points on how to humanly raise meat.

I didn't get why she demeans the vegan diet. If she's actually serious about her convictions in how food should be produced, it would take a LOT of vegan conversions to get the food system she describes!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/t...ource=activity

Vegans don't go on cheese binges
or egg binges.

She probably figured she could sneak as much "forbidden food" as she wanted since all veg*ans do that anyway doncha know, since that's what omnis are always claiming.

ETA: Basically I'm tired of people who try a veg*an diet and either have no idea what they're doing or start the diet with so little commitment to making it work that naturally it doesn't work, and they get discouraged and decide being veg*an is stupid not only for themselves but for everyone. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy: They go into the diet dreading 30 days or whatever of nothing but bland tofu and salads, and that's all they eat, so of course they hate being veg*an.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts