VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it occurred to me today that a lot of people in the world simply think that being vegetarian or vegan is "wrong" for whatever reason and that we are "misguided" or "going through a phase."

I was wondering what other stereotypes veggie and vegans are given - what do people actually think of us? Do they dismiss us as "crazy" or think we're all "tree hugging hippies?" Everyone forms an opinion when they first meet someone, so what do you think people's general opinion is when they meet a vegetarian or vegan?

I'm just interested to know how people must see me from the outside - what do you lot think?

I only want to know so I can work towards destroying the stereotypes!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, I can't speak for anyone outside my family, but since I'm the only vegetarian in my bloodline, I get alot of sterotypes.

My Father certainly thinks that we're all tree hugging hippies, he's convinced my older sister to think the same thing, My twin sister for some reason thinks that it's "wrong."

And I can assure you that I am a very Christian girl, and that I would never do anything against my religion. But she's convinced that if I don't eat meat, that I'm horrible.

And now that I think about it, my mom actually half way supports me. It's the protien thing but she's always said "As long as you get enough protien, I don't care what you eat."

Huh. A supporter. Nifty.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginVegan View Post

And I can assure you that I am a very Christian girl, and that I would never do anything against my religion. But she's convinced that if I don't eat meat, that I'm horrible.

You should ask her what God's ORIGINAL diet for man was, and have her re-read genesis.

whoops - guess it was veganism.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Yes if I was omni, people would wonder what was wrong with me. But since I'm veg*n that's presumed to be the cause of my chronic illnessess. This is parially why I was always on my own with my health with docs because the cause was always being veg. If it's not seen as the cause, it's a red flag that gets put on my chart.

It's really hard because I had no desire to name all my weird illnesses to relatives and people met casually. So around here unfortunbatkly that's the image, that it gives you weird mysterious illnessess.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Since I'm a bit too old and too suburban
to be considered a tree-hugging hippie, I think I surprise people when I tell them I'm a vegetarian. When people first find out, I suspect they think that I'm just a bit flakey. A crazy, middle-aged lady who loves puppies just a little too much. Then they find out that that I'm a vegan, liberal, opinionated, feminist artist, and they are forced to re-evaluate their first opinions.
:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I told my coworkers when I became a vegetarian (in December) because there's always meat at the monthly meetings. The branch manager just told me to take vitamins, but my supervisor looked at me like I was a child and told me that I was just going through a phase.

One of my coworkers surprised me by asking if I was a vegan and telling me that he thought it was cool.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

I am breaking through the stereo type. Most people are quite shocked to hear I am vegan.
Why is that? Because you're not pasty white and don't wear hemp trousers?

There's nothing wrong with being pasty white and wearing hemp trousers, but I think that's the general image people get when they think of vegans and veggies.

The fact is that we come in all shapes and sizes, yet for some reason people immediately pigeonhole you when you say you don't eat meat.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
aww i want hemp trousers now. I have a hemp hoodie its so comfy in a sacklike way.

yeah i think id go under the hippie category. have been witnessed hugging tress. i think having very long neon pink hair makes people think im a bit of a wierdo anyway so they arent suprised, hehe.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
people generally expect me to be vegetarian.

I don't know whether it's the pasty whiteness, the lesbian-ness, the way I fawn over my kitty, the generally liberal politics or just the fect that I'm a teenage girl. But I tend to take it as a compliment

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I was surprised recently by my brother, who has always just eaten absolute crap, and always was considered the really unhealthy eating one in the family. I was hassling him over something he was eating, you know, in a joking sisterly kind of way, and he's like "look who's talking, no meat girl". I was genuinly surprised, I guess I'm used to talking to you guys, who of course know that meat isn't actually good for you. Apparently I'm now the unhealthy one in the family.

So I said, "no no, animal fat isn't good for you, and meat sits and rots in your guts for ages, no wonder your farts are so stinky".

I'm also known as the one who's against such things as hunting, and other stuff which is nasty to animals. And the one who's always writing letters to the editor and to politicians.

Official family stereotype:

Animal loving, unhealthy, s**t stirrer.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i dont wear it on my sleeve, so when ppl learn of my pro-compassion choices, they're surprised and ask the usual 20 questions. i think after that, many do tend to re-pigeon hole me - hippie, prolly not, more of an uncertain/uncomfortable vibe.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
At first glance, people assume I am not vegetarian. Maybe I eat in vegetarian resturaunts because I don't understant - they like to explain to me, when I order a vegetarian burger - it doesn't have meat dear.

I think that's because I look like a stuck up middle class spoilt white *****.

When people know me though, they think I am a tree hugging hippy, because I care about the environment and give money to charity. Quite clearly, this means I hug trees.

I don't mind though, it makes things eaiser actually, if people ask why I support something and I don't want to go there, I reply "because I am a tree hugging hippy" and they're like "oh right" as if that answers

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
People generally aren't surprised when they hear but I have got "you don't look like a vegetarian". Once when asking someone "just what do you mean by that?'" they said "it was meant to be a compliment! You aren't skinny and pasty-white".

My brother came out with that the other day. He looked at some skinny white guy and made some remark that he "looks like a vegetarian". I asked what he meant and he trotted out the "skinny and pale" cliche. When I pointed out that I was curvaceous, with a lustrous hair and a pink-cheeked glow he remarked "ah.. but you do vegetarianism the right way. Most people don't".

Obviously my "chips, red wine and take-away" diet works wonders. I mean, I've been enjoying it but I never suspected it was doing vegetarianism the right way!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I feel like the only skinny, pasty-white vegetarian here. Am I too much of a stereotype to exist on these boards? Should I retreat to someplace full of omnis where I look like they expect me to?

I feel discriminated against.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts