VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became vegetarian in 1991, then vegan in 1993, but never got Internet access until 1997. For those 6/4 years I did it all alone, then when I got Internet access one of the first things I did was seek veg*n resources/newsgroups/etc.

It wasn't until I talked about this with ceryna the other day that I realised just how lonely those years were..... not knowing any other veg*ns (except for people who avoided one particular meat and a "vegan" who ate Chicken), books or resources.

Once I got online I was quite amazed (and a little down about) the animal ingredients in products I had been using (so many go by terms you could never pick for an animal ingredient).

The Internet (and the greater popularity of veg*nism these days) must make being a veg*n a lot easier than it used to be. I realise it can still be very difficult.... at a Circus protest a vegetarian teenage girl was saying how hard it is for her because of her parents (they make her buy all of her own food with her own money just because she chose to be vegetarian). I'm glad the Animal Liberation group organising the Circus protest also provided other veg*ns for her to connect with.

I know I'd still be vegan without the support found in online veg*n communities, but they have been of immense value to me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I feel the same, only I'm still lonely

I've only met one vegetarian; but she's not even that, really, she consumes gelatin and other animal products and doesn't concern herself with that aspect. She just doesn't eat meats.

I would love to be able to have vegan friends to invite over for sleepovers and get-togethers...along with omnis too! It's just that sometimes I want to express feelings that omnis either don't understand or don't want to understand.

I like to write, but, for some reason, journaling and writing thoughts and feelings isn't my thing. I find no solace in that.

So what do you do when you need to express yourself (aside from those tee shirts
)

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Strix

It's just that sometimes I want to express feelings that omnis either don't understand or don't want to understand.
I know how that is...... it gets SO frustrating at times.

Quote:

So what do you do when you need to express yourself (aside from those tee shirts
)
Well.... I'll stick some music on that is/could be vegan/AR themed. Or I'll write some lyrics, or play my guitar at an extremely high volume.... lots of feedback and distortion while I scream, just to let it all out. I'm not expressing it to anyone but myself... but that's all I need at times.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Scream. Never considered that one. I've heard and read that writing is good for getting things out, but I don't have that particular capability; you're lucky. I tend to keep it inside and eventually it comes out in the form of tears or the blues. Other times it comes out as frustration as in, say, political arguments

You write poetry too, right? I used to. I kept most of them, and sometimes I look them over and trip on them. It's been about 10 years since I've written one though. I can't just sit down and write something...for me, that's too orchestrated or forced. I'm not talented that way. Geez, 10 years. Now that's a dry spell. I've written other stuff, but I suffer from that disease of self criticism.

What do you write about?

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I write about anything and everything. I write for me, just to express my feelings.... I have no desires or hopes that others may ever read it, let alone think it good.

I'd say 95% of what I write is ****.... but that other 5% helps so much.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Kurm, I think it has a lot of value, as well. We went veg in 1990 and had to learn many things "the hard way"

We ate Jell-O for years (without knowing what gelatin was). It would have been so nice to have this resource in the early days...still, I have learned somethings (like about white sugar having bone char...and what alternatives to use).

I love to hear what others think of various products, restaurants and recipes etc.

I made Kreeli's chocolate cake the other day for instance...

(Thanks Kreeli)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
This board has been a great help for me and I have only been a member for a very short amount of time. I am the ONLY vegetarian in my circle of friends and family. It can get isolating and lonely. This board is a great source of information on products, foods and nutrition. I would love to have some vegetarian friends here where I live so we could cook together and go out to eat together. Instead of having to adapt all the time, I would fit in completely.

·
Registered
0 Posts
The Internet is pretty much the main reason I'm vegan and not still lacto-veggie. I always thought it'd be so difficult etc. After I searched around I realized that veganism is just as easy as being lacto-veggie, easier even in some way.
This board along with other sites have the highest possible value to me and my veganism. I wouldn't stop being vegan if I didn't have access to the Internet but it wouldn't be as fun and fulfilling as it is now

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yep. If it wasn't for the net I wouldn't have known about farmsanctuary.com, which led to my vegetarianism, then finding Veggieboards, and ultimately becoming a vegan. I bet that I'm not the only one either. Come to think of it, the net may be the most effective tool to come along yet in converting folks from omni's.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I know the message boards are what prompted me to attempt veganism. I say attempt b/c I flub up every now and again. If it wasn't for the net, I wouldn't know half the stuff I know about factory farming, nutrition, etc.

It's also really nice to know I'm not the only freaky vegetarian (as my friends call me) out there.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have to give props to the internet as well. Having someplace to just make statements or have support means a lot. I feel really closed in where I live. I havent even met another vegetarian here much less known one or could talk to one. Finding this place is the main reason Ive decided to go totally vegan even despite the fact that things are really hard to get here. But, I talked to my store and health food store and they are going to get stuff for me. Just want to say thanks to all of you. Even if I dont know you that well, its been nice knowing there is someplace I can go if I need or want to.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
From the research I've studied, internet communities are especially important for marginalized groups and I don;t see how veg*n's wouldn't fall under that category. Personally, it has been a great place to find support and even more importantly a vegan girlfriend

·
Registered
184 Posts
For me personally, this is the only place where I get any support for my "little phase." My family and friends get so concerned about my health, and I know they only get onto me because they care, but it gets really frustrating sometimes. I don't know any vegetarians (which is sad, because I live in one of the largest cities in the country). It's cool when I have a question about something, and I get online to post about it, and I find that someone else has the exact same question!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
altho i still wouldve become veg alone i cant imagine doing it. shortly after i became veg my close friend did too so i never not knew any others which would have been hard with all the criticism there is. then i discovered via the internet there are soo many vegans and how easy it is.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I've been a vegetarian for three years, and for half of that I've been part of VeggieBoards. Before that, I surfed around on some other vegetarian boards, but I didn't find one that I really liked and they liked me until I came here. I think what I saw on the other boards was either overt moderating of ideas or subliminal "you can't say anything extreme here", and that's not what I was looking for. I LIKE considering strange ideas, or at least strange to me given my background.

VB has been immensely helpful to me in knowing what other veg*ns are going through, what a long list of animal products there is, and encouragement to follow my own veg*n path. Since there are NO vegetarians in the circle of people I interact with on a daily/semi-daily basis, VB is a lifeline. I know a handful of other vegetarians, but our lives do not bring us into contact much, though believe me, I've tried.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've been veggie about 3 1/2 months, and I found Vegweb about a week after I started. It's been SO much easier with the help of my friends at Vegweb and VeggieBoards! I only know one other person who's a vegetarian so it would be hard being one of the only 2 around here. My family definitely wouldn't support me if I hadn't told them stuff I read off here about health and nutrition and junk like that. The people here are nice to you no matter who you are. I'm really surprised that I've found an online community where nobody says "stay away from the weird girl!"
Oh yeah... And thanks for helping me re-discover falafel!!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ntell, pretty much exactly the same here. I think it would've been very hard for me otherwise... and I don't think I would have tried to avoid dairy if I hadn't found an online support group!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've learned an incredible amount from everyone at VegWeb and now here on VeggieBoards. You all have added a whole new dimension to my life.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I ***** to my husband. He occasionally orders meat when we go out to eat and I'll ask, "So, how's your death burger?"
He knows I only do it because I can't get away with doing it to anyone else.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Finding the veg*n communities has made an incredible difference to my vegetarianism and my switch to veganism. I had basically made my vegetarianism up as I went along causing me to be a completely clueless veg. I was also lonely since I had never met another vegetarian.

Without these communities I would still be floundering along.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts