2 cups water or plain soymilk
1/2 cup nut. yeast flakes
1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup kuzu, arrowroot, or cornstarch
3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt

Lightly oil a 3 cup mold-like a loaf pan.
Combine everything in a blender or food processesor and process several minutes until completely smooth.
Pour into saucepan and cook, and stir, over medium heat until very thick and smooth.
Pack into prepared container. Cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
When completely cool, cover and chill overnight.
To serve, turn out of mold and slice with an oiled or water moistened knife. Cheze whill be very soft and a bit sticky.
Store leftovers covered in refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.

Alternate smoky: add drops of liquid smoke.

Thanks for asking! I'd forgotten this book and only tried the cheze sauce. I'd like to hear your results! I'll try it too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Silva. I've made it once before years ago and I don't think I liked it very much, but I had only just given up cheese. It is impossible to buy vegan cheese anywhere around here, so thought I would try it again.

If I like it this time I might buy the book, ( borrowed it from the library last time) I also made one of the hard cheeses out of there and it was ok, but I found it a bit mustardy and I didn't really like nooch then. Ahh but my taste buds have changed so much, time for a new adventure!

I'll let you know how I go

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Finally got around to making this!
I used plain, unsweetened soymilk.
About 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke. Trader Joes South African Smoke grinder-about 1 tablespoon (this stuff is goooood!) Smoked paprika would be good.
Still felt it needed flavor, and I happened to have a jar of marinated olives-used about 1 T. of the juice.

Yummy! I swear it was the closest to real I've had, and I like Daiya! It hasn't yet firmed up, my son and I were dipping torilla chips in it!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I might have put too much of the olive marinade in it because it was just really thick, but not at all sliceable. Did taste good.
I made a sauce with it and a can of chopped tomatoes for over pasta.

I'd love to know how others did, or other recipes from this book!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts