VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i received an email response today regarding the veg status of kellogg's cereal for anyone who's interested...

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the vegan status of our cereals. We appreciate the time you took to email us and are happy to discuss our ingredients with you.

Aside from the obvious meat, milk, eggs, and gelatin there are a few ingredients that we use in some of our products that are animal derived.

Most of our cereals contain milk or a diary product such as whey or calcium caseinate. They also are fortified with Vitamin D. Our ingredient specification for Vitamin D says that we can use either Vitamin D2 or D3 in our products. Vitamin D3 is derived from lanolin, an animal product from sheep's wool and Vitamin D2 is not animal-derived. Froot Loops® cereal contains no milk or other animal ingredients but does contain Vitamin D.

At this time we do have three cereals that are free from any animal derived ingredient. These cereals are Kellogg's® Special K® Protein Plus cereal, Special K® Red Berries cereal and Mini-Wheats® Unfrosted Bite Size.

We appreciate your interest in our company and products and hope this information helps you make choices that are appropriate for you.

Sincerely,

Rebecca A Jimenez

Consumer Affairs Department"

so it seems that instead of having to change the ingredient label on the boxes whenever they use Vitamin D3 instead of D2... they just make it "generic" and say "Vitamin D". rather disappointing as the cereal could be vegan depending on the vitamin d used.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Where are you talking about, the US?

In the UK Kellogs specify several of their cereals as suitable for vegans on their website, I don't know about other countries though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

Where are you talking about, the US?

In the UK Kellogs specify several of their cereals as suitable for vegans on their website, I don't know about other countries though.
yes, this is in the US. unfortunately they just LOVE adding unnecessary ingredients to everything over here. hmpf.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller View Post

yes, this is in the US. unfortunately they just LOVE adding unnecessary ingredients to everything over here. hmpf.
Maybe you could ask them why their UK branch is so much better than them, get some competition going

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Hey, that was a good answer from Kellogg's!

I don't think it's good to eat too much processed food but it's good to know that there are at least a few vegan cereals from Kellogg's.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I feel like a dumbass now.

This the same feeling as the day I discovered the Disney "D" or the day I found out that Coca-Cola originally had a form of cocaine in it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle8 View Post

I have looked on the uk site and they don't seem to have any vegan products.
sad.gif
Yeah you're right - the vegan filter on the website doesn't work. I checked it out and the ingredients of cereals and suspected some of them were suitable so sent Kellogg's an e-mail. They sent back

"Thank you for your e-mail. I have listed below the Kellogg's products that are suitable for vegans.

Just Right
Fruit and Fibre
Frosties
Rice Krispies Multigrain
Raisin Wheats"

Also I then checked out fruit winders and asked them about those and got:

"Thank you for contacting Kellogg's.

I can confirm that Fruit Winders are suitable for vegans."

So chin up! I've always loved Frosties. Maybe I'll mention to them about the website though because it is misleading and confusing.

Edit to say - obviously I do think it's lame they added D3 to things like coco pops that were previously vegan for years. There was no need. If they do it to Frosties I will lose it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.