VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really interesting to have lived during the time of the dinosaurs. Trying to survive on the plant fare that was around, while still being constantly vigilant to avoid any large carnivorous beasties.

And you?

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
If I was born in 1828, I would have been young at the time of the Gold Rush. It's not the gold I'm after, but this was a time of extraordinary social change. I think it would have been interesting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

in the hippie times!
me too!
or the twenties, mainly because i just like their style. but don't think i'd like to live through the thirties and the depression. so prob the sixties for sure.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

in the hippie times!

unless i can go to the future, then i would want to live there
It really was over rated, much more impressive in the stories than in real life.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
In order to live in another period of time, I'd have to completely erase the memory of the Internet from my brain. And then, I would choose the 60s so I could march with Martin Luther King. Also, attend Woodstock.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

In order to live in another period of time, I'd have to completely erase the memory of the Internet from my brain. And then, I would choose the 60s so I could march with Martin Luther King. Also, attend Woodstock.
question, what is it that makes you think, had you been of age to march with Martin Luther King, that you would have felt the same then that you do now?
Im curious because it was a different time totally, feelings were different, outlook was different. You would have been raised in the 50s for the most part to march with him, ideas and words that are now repulsive, would have been common usage words.
Im not saying you would not have marched with him, but there is an equal chance you would not have. You might have agreed with him, but stayed out of the conversation in order to keep peace around others.
Unless you are black, then a whole different set of circumstances would have had to of been considered. Would you have been raised in an area that the "negro" was actually allowed to voice an opinion without fear of retribution, would you have been willing to be shot for your efforts? or its possible that you might have been hanging out with what would become the hippies smoking dope. Maybe you would have become one of the greats that went on to create the Motown Records name.

Its easy to say what you would have done, but to be honest its not that easy to be correct. lets pretend it was the mid 1800s, do you think you would have been an animal activist or would you have eaten meat? my bet is that you would have been a meat eater without a second thought.

Its fun to dream about it though.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I'm pretty happy with "now". The civil rights movement and women's lib are pretty amazing things. I don't want to give that up.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

question, what is it that makes you think, had you been of age to march with Martin Luther King, that you would have felt the same then that you do now?
If you haven't noticed, I support the rights of the oppressed and minorities. On October 8th, 2010, having never been to D.C., at around 5:30 pm, I left my last class for the day at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, TN, hopped into my automobile, and headed to our Nation's Capital. Why? For this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olysHUwf_YI

After the march, I hopped back into my car and headed home.

Hatred and bigotry are taught, and my parents, thankfully, never taught me any of that nonsense.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

If you haven't noticed, I support the rights of the oppressed and minorities. On October 8th, 2010, having never been to D.C., at around 5:30 pm, I left my last class for the day at Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, TN, hopped into my automobile, and headed to our Nation's Capital. Why? For this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olysHUwf_YI

After the march, I hopped back into my car and headed home.

Hatred and bigotry are taught, and my parents, thankfully, never taught me any of that nonsense.
you are not paying attention, I said you based what you would have done 50 years ago, on what your feelings are today.
You would have been raised in a different time, a different atmosphere, a different public opinion on those "uppity negros" there is just as good a chance you would have cheered MLKs death, as you would have marched with him.
Your opinions and your feelings now are a product of your life to this point. That life would have been much different being raised in the 50s.
I am not questioning your intent today, I have no doubt that you would stand side by side with the republican MLK.
I am only pointing out that your thoughts could have been much different back then.

by the way, sometimes hatred and bigotry are learned emotions. Not taught.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Since I'm female, I'm not sure I would be able to handle all the sexism in the past. It would make me absolutely miserable. I'm good in this time period.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

Since I'm female, I'm not sure I would be able to handle all the sexism in the past. It would make me absolutely miserable. I'm good in this time period.
So the June Cleaver thing wasnt working for you? You could not picture yourself in a nice dress with a pearl necklace on while scrubbing the toilets and fixing the dinner?
Cant say I blame you.
Consider this, if not for women back then that found it equally disturbing as you do today, you might be at the forefront of that fight right now.
Had you been of age back then, and felt the same way, your name might be in the history books for bringing about that change.

or, you would have accepted it because your mother and her mother before her accepted it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my life in this period of time. Out of sheer curiosity, I wouldn't mind existing in some random period in the distant future.

Maybe being a Mongolian raider would have been kind of interesting. I would have done all sorts of pillaging and ****, though I probably wouldn't have been vegetarian

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Im with Nomad888 on this. but I was thinking a Viking.
They traveled to far away lands and raped pillaged and burned.
1) My family orginated in Norway, still have relatives there
2) I love boating
3) I love free stuff
4) I love fires
5) I love,, well you get the point.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

1) My family orginated in Norway, still have relatives there
Just FYI, if you have any interest in genealogy, parish records for Norway are online.

I have family from Norway as well. Although far more of my ancestors are Swedish.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
If you mean a "going back in time" sort of thing, then I'd pick the earliest days of Man. I guess I better not say what I would do while I'm there.

If it's a "being born in" thing, then I'll just stick to the lifetime I've had, coz I've been more lucky than most male ancestors of mine over the past 150 years or so, that I didn't have to fight or die in a war.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.